P-38E...How many?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Rusty1961

P-38E...How many?

Post by Rusty1961 »

It's August 18th, 1942, and I have 14 P-38Es in my unit. I have lost a total of 16.

Is that all that can be deployed outside of the US? I have 36 sitting in units in the states training, but it doesn't appear I can do anything about them as I can't "withdraw", only disband.

Do these P-38Es in the states ever make it out of the States?
God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal.
wdolson

RE: P-38E...How many?

Post by wdolson »

The P-38E was never used in combat. The plane is limited use in combat with such a high service rating. You can upgrade some of the P-38E units in the states to something else to free up aircraft, but you will lose those aircraft when the units disband.

The P-38E is the way it is to make players pay dearly if they want to use it.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
kevin_hx

Post by kevin_hx »

On 9 August 1942, two P-38Es of the 343rd Fighter Group, 11th Air Force, at the end of a 1,000 mi (1,609 km) long-range patrol, happened upon a pair of Japanese Kawanishi H6K "Mavis" flying boats and destroyed them, making them the first Japanese aircraft to be shot down by Lightnings.

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

In a few months you will get another 20 in the pool, but that is all.

With PDU (Player Defined Upgrades) turned on you can play some creative games with upgrades/downgrades to free up the airframes in the restricted units to get about another 32 airframes into the pool.

You can use either P26s, P35s or even P39s to downgrade the two restricted squadrons with the most airframes.

One has 20 and another 12. There is also one with 5, but since these squadrons have withdrawal dates you need a full complement of 25 planes of another type to change the airframe type of the squadron (squadrons with no withdrawal date can be changed with only one airframe of the new type in the pool),
I have never been able to bring myself to sacrifice 25 P39s for only 5 P38s.

1942 is a very lean year for the Allies.
Hans

Mundy

Post by Mundy »

Hans is right here.

You can do some swapping with the US units (Here... have your P-26s...).

IronBabes seems to have locked this down a bit, and I couldn't pull it off in my current game.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Don't fret too much. With a 4 service rating they are not very useful and there are not enough of them to worry about. Like said, I would rather have a full squadron of P39s instead. Use them for training.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Don't fret too much. With a 4 service rating they are not very useful and there are not enough of them to worry about. Like said, I would rather have a full squadron of P39s instead. Use them for training.

I grabbed them all in my games and I don't regret it a bit.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”