Strength of 3 regiments?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

dereck

Strength of 3 regiments?

Post by dereck »

This may be a dumb question, but being a long-time WITP player 3 regimental sized units (even of the same division) fighting a division size unit would always be at a disadvantage and mostly lose battles.

Is that the same here or no? For example, would the 1st Division as one unit be stronger than the 1st division as 3 regimental units (in the same hex) taking on a division unit?

Also, if a division is broken down into regimental units can each regimental unit attach 3 support units or no?

Thanks
PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)
ratprince

RE: Strength of 3 regiments?

Post by ratprince »

Not sure about the first part, but as to attachments, if you have three already, one will go to each regiment.
"Yeah that I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil...because I am."
marion61

Post by marion61 »

A division as a whole unit, will fight better than it's 3 regiments on their own, even in a joint attack. Remember paratroop divisions can retreat after a drop and regiments and brigades cannot. They surrender. I know you didn't ask about paratroops, but I was just mentioning it. A whole unit is always stronger than it's individual parts.
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

I know when I broke down a division my garrison value dropped in the region, so you do lose some CV for breaking down the division.

Jim
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

There's no specific CV bonus for being a division as opposed to being 3 regiments. There are some weaknesses of being a regiment (airborne scatter/no retreat, extra cost moving into enemy controlled hexes), but no CV penalty that I'm aware of. The change in garrison value may be the result of rounding/truncation differences. A broken down division unit should only be able to attach 1 support unit.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
marion61

Post by marion61 »

Say for instance you break down a division. Should the regiments together equal the total CV of the whole division? The 3 regiment CV's added together don't always add up to what the divisional CV is after they are broken down, or am I mistaken?
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

I think what you're seeing is round off and truncation issues, not any particular bonus/penalty difference. For example, you see a unit with 4 CV, it breaks down into three 1 CV units. But looking at the unit detail screen, the 4 CV unit is actually a 4.44, and when broken down you see a 1.45 and two 1.41 units, which sums to 4.27. So some small amount is lost in this case, but I think it is because all the supplies/fuel/ammo gets split up as well, and with all the number crunching and round offs and/or truncations that no doubt take place along the way of calculating CV, some fidelity is lost. At least that's my assumption.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
dereck

Post by dereck »

Not a scientific study but ...

2nd US Armored Division as a division against an Italian division and two regiments: 7.8 to 2.5

When broken down as regiments: 7.6 to 2.5
PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)
marion61

Post by marion61 »

I'm betting your right. Thanks Joel, now I have to learn another way to play [;)]. I didn't like breaking down divisions because I thought, erroneously, that it would lessen their effectiveness.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”