BioEd Installation and COW.Reg Issue

This forum is for official support and troubleshooting FAQs.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

ColinWright

RE: BioEd Installation and COW.Reg Issue

Post by ColinWright »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

ORIGINAL: Sertorius1

Hey, Bob.

I had to install all the stuff that goes with TOAW III on a different computer and that includes BioEd. I had problems loading my ACOW cd; getting pop ups saying "the file couldn't be read from the source" or some crap like that. After trying a number of ideas I decided to see if I could set it up using that method you listed in your BioEd primer for folks without the ACOW cd. However, I needed some more information on how to get that notepad file set up to activate. That took me to this thread and finally reading this:

"Simply create this folder path:

C:\Program Files\Talonsoft\TOAW-CW\Graphics

Then copy the contents of the TOAW III Graphics folder into it. BioEd shouldn't be able to tell the difference."

!!!

Bob, you're smarter than a white hog. This works.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Glad to hear it. I only wish I had thought of it earlier before sending everyone down that Registry rat hole.

This isn't working for me. Whether it's me, Windows 8, or somecombination thereof, I couldn't say, but at any rate, this is what I've done.

I have the path 'This PC\The Operational Art of War III\Bioeditor.' This folder contains the seven files ACOWEdit, COW.REG,Readme,V103ACOW,V103ACOW300,V104ACOW,V104ACOW300.

I've also copied those files directly into 'The Operational Art of War III' folder. Finally, I've copied the folder containing them on the desktop.

Then I created the path 'This PC\Acer(C:)\Program Files\Talonsoft\TOAW-CW\Graphics.' That folder contains that massive load of files and folders in TOAW III Graphics.

No joy. Clicking on AOOWEdit in any of the locations and then loading V104ACOW300 just produces a stream of 'file not found' messages.
I am not Charlie Hebdo
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

ORIGINAL: Sertorius1

Hey, Bob.

I had to install all the stuff that goes with TOAW III on a different computer and that includes BioEd. I had problems loading my ACOW cd; getting pop ups saying "the file couldn't be read from the source" or some crap like that. After trying a number of ideas I decided to see if I could set it up using that method you listed in your BioEd primer for folks without the ACOW cd. However, I needed some more information on how to get that notepad file set up to activate. That took me to this thread and finally reading this:

"Simply create this folder path:

C:\Program Files\Talonsoft\TOAW-CW\Graphics

Then copy the contents of the TOAW III Graphics folder into it. BioEd shouldn't be able to tell the difference."

!!!

Bob, you're smarter than a white hog. This works.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Glad to hear it. I only wish I had thought of it earlier before sending everyone down that Registry rat hole.

This isn't working for me. Whether it's me, Windows 8, or somecombination thereof, I couldn't say, but at any rate, this is what I've done.

I have the path 'This PC\The Operational Art of War III\Bioeditor.' This folder contains the seven files ACOWEdit, COW.REG,Readme,V103ACOW,V103ACOW300,V104ACOW,V104ACOW300.

I've also copied those files directly into 'The Operational Art of War III' folder. Finally, I've copied the folder containing them on the desktop.

Then I created the path 'This PC\Acer(C:)\Program Files\Talonsoft\TOAW-CW\Graphics.' That folder contains that massive load of files and folders in TOAW III Graphics.

No joy. Clicking on AOOWEdit in any of the locations and then loading V104ACOW300 just produces a stream of 'file not found' messages.

Is there a "Program Files (x86)" folder? If so, you might try that instead:

c:\Program Files (x86)\Talonsoft\TOAW-CW\Graphics
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
ColinWright

Post by ColinWright »

Yes there is a Program Files (x86) folder. No, the editor doesn't work if that's the path either.
I am not Charlie Hebdo
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I've copied the folder containing them on the desktop.

Then I created the path 'This PC\Acer(C:)\Program Files\Talonsoft\TOAW-CW\Graphics.'

Um, isn't the desktop a different path ?
josant

Post by josant »

You dont need to enter any folder, I think that you forgotten to install the cow.reg file
double click in it
JA
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

Yes there is a Program Files (x86) folder. No, the editor doesn't work if that's the path either.

Is there some reason why you can't just install ACOW? Other than that, I'm out of ideas. There's not much I can do since I don't have Win8.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
ColinWright

Post by ColinWright »

Is there some reason why you can't just install ACOW? Other than that, I'm out of ideas. There's not much I can do since I don't have Win8.

Yeah...installing ACOW would seem to be the best solution. As to not having Windows 8, count your blessings. It's from Satan.

However, thanks for responding to all this. If anyone else has made this work with Windows 8, please post what you did.
I am not Charlie Hebdo
Porphyrogen

Post by Porphyrogen »

Hello,

I have trouble to start game after what seems to be normal installation of TOAW 3 with latest patch 3419
PC specifications: intel core i7 / 2x geforce 970 / windows 7 ultimate SP1 / 64bits / enough HD, RAM memo, drivers etc.

Game can be activated from start menu or directly via opart3.exe but I just get black window (titled as it should be and so one) without any activity, music, buttons ... black, running in backround but without options to procede to main screen and beyond.

I tried all compatibility modes with no results. Any sugestions ?

Thank you

PS.Iam in TOAW world even from the times of 'Century of Warfare' 15 years ago, played on W98, 2000, XP ... now with win 7 its not working for me. And is the same for my new laptop W10 too.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

None of us are ever certain as to what is going on with somebody else's computer or what has been done during the DL process, so all we can do is make suggestions as we get more info from you. Here is something I said in another thread, and it hasn't been disproved so far, but we don't know what you have done during your attempt to install.

You most likely have v3.2.2.927, so you probably need to get v3.4.0.202 and install that, then get v3.4.1.9 and install that. Somebody else may know that you don't need to do 3.4.0.202, but I am not sure if that is true.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

So now I am tinkering with getting Bio-Ed on my W7 computer. ACOW won't install for some reason, I tried messing with that for awhile but no luck. So I tried the 'creating the path' route as in the screen shot but Bio-ed still doesn't find the graphics files. I tried a few other path combinations but still no luck. Has anybody done this recently on one of these newer machines and succeeded ?

Attachments
jpeg52.jpg
jpeg52.jpg (34.8 KiB) Viewed 412 times
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

So now I am tinkering with getting Bio-Ed on my W7 computer. ACOW won't install for some reason, I tried messing with that for awhile but no luck. So I tried the 'creating the path' route as in the screen shot but Bio-ed still doesn't find the graphics files. I tried a few other path combinations but still no luck. Has anybody done this recently on one of these newer machines and succeeded ?

That's the TOAW III path. BioEd needs the ACOW path - see post #38.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Yeah, I tried that one, too. Along with a couple others.

Attachments
jpeg53.jpg
jpeg53.jpg (29.3 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Porphyrogen

Post by Porphyrogen »

A few months ago I tried to inst.TOAW III on my new destop config.PC win7 sp2 but it was all in vain, tried everything.
I made it later on my laptop with identical oper.sys, only approx.2 years older.
Never had any problems before, I play this game since 'Century of Warfare' edition 15 years ago. So every configuration is a specific case, I guess.

Return to “TOAW III Support”