A bad day in Poland

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Numdydar

A bad day in Poland

Post by Numdydar »

Did really well on my initial attacks into Poland and was able to actually get enough next to Warsaw for a 50/50 chance of taking Warsaw on the first impulse. Rolled a 2 [:@]Using the D20 CRT

Lost a 7-4 white print and a 4-3. How bad is this? It seems pretty bad to me, but I have not played enough of the game to determine if this is 'restarting' bad or 'recoverable' bad.

Any thoughts?

bo

RE: A bad day in Poland

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

Did really well on my initial attacks into Poland and was able to actually get enough next to Warsaw for a 50/50 chance of taking Warsaw on the first impulse. Rolled a 2 [:@]Using the D20 CRT

Lost a 7-4 white print and a 4-3. How bad is this? It seems pretty bad to me, but I have not played enough of the game to determine if this is 'restarting' bad or 'recoverable' bad.

Any thoughts?

None, could you please give me a day or two to think this one over[&:]

Bo
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Any thoughts?

warspite1

It's still the first impulse and you have lost two German Infantry - albeit one was a good one. No way is that starting again bad. Not even close. Just don't panic and if it means waiting until next turn then so be it.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Any thoughts?

warspite1

It's still the first impulse and you have lost two German Infantry - albeit one was a good one. No way is that starting again bad. Not even close. Just don't panic and if it means waiting until next turn then so be it.
warspite1

Just one other thing. If one throw of two was enough to put you in an irrecoverable position, then this would be a pretty rubbish game - and WIF certainly isn't that [;)].
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
AlbertN

Post by AlbertN »

Being quite blunt, to lose even a single unit in Poland is terribad for me.
Axis takes the beating already enough on the later years, and if it is not almost a perfect game for them, the Allies truly steamroll them.

I took the philosophy to pratically take 2-4 impulses for Poland if needs to be, but to play safer. 3-6 BPs are a heavy toll to bear for Germans, even worse if the Poles opt to Blitz some combat and Axis is short of mot.divisions.
Since they defend in Cities or at worst in Forest, you are prone to take the extra loss if rolls play badly.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

Such things happen in WiF. It can happen in any campaign. But to quit over the loss of two INF? Don't do so.
Peter
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

A wise man once said: "If the worst possible result for a combat is one you can't afford, then don't make the attack."
Paul
CrusssDaddy

Post by CrusssDaddy »

If you're second-guessing entertainment value 1 impulse into the game, go ahead and put a stake in it and try again. Not like it costs extra to hit the reset button.
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: CrusssDaddy

If you're second-guessing entertainment value 1 impulse into the game, go ahead and put a stake in it and try again. Not like it costs extra to hit the reset button.

Hi Chris glad to see you are still around, cat got your tongue, speak up man.[;)]

Bo
composer99

Post by composer99 »

If it's a solitaire game, and no one else's fun is on the line, do as you like.

As far as I can see, the Axis' early-game fortunes rise or fall on what happens in France. So losing 2 INF early is irritating but not fatal.

(It's worth noting that actual German casualties in the campaign were approximately 16K killed, 3K missing, and 30K injured, which appears to be in the range of 1-2 corps.)
~ Composer99
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Thanks for all the comments (even including you CrussDaddy [:)]). I did not think it was bad enough to restart, but did not really know the long term impact.

Since I've played to the fall of France before in another game and seemed like I had plenty of units to invade France with already, I just wanted to make sure I was not overreacting [:)]

Besides I can always cheat later when I really need it lol. The best part of playing solitaire imho. No one will care but you [:D]
bo

Post by bo »

Any thoughts?

In Fascist Tide I have crushed Poland many many times without a single loss of any German unit with the D10 CRT. But had a few miscarriages with the D20 CRT, I have to get used to the D20 CRT as I have just started to use it. I know a lot of players who know the game also prefer to attack Denmark, the Netherlands and I think Belgium in the first turn.

To do that you need to have more German units in the Low countries region, which takes away from The Polish campaign. I normally use almost all of my German units against Poland and I probably can get 7 to 1 or 6 to 1 odds on every attack with the D10 CRT.

This almost insures that Poland will have been defeated by the 3rd or at most the 4th German impulse. Any thing less than 6 to 1 odds can sometimes get very hairy, not often but it does happen.

Bo
Zorachus99

Post by Zorachus99 »

Restarting a solo game, sure, might be worth it. But it's as worth it as rigging the dice. Do you want to see how hard it is, or do you want to start winning immediately?

Anyway, I play in a 2 player game, bugs and all, and am trying to make the best of it.
Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: Zorachus99

Restarting a solo game, sure, might be worth it. But it's as worth it as rigging the dice. Do you want to see how hard it is, or do you want to start winning immediately?

Anyway, I play in a 2 player game, bugs and all, and am trying to make the best of it.

Good point, I like that [;)]

Bo
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Just for the record. I will keep playing onward [:)]
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

I would note that if you had a 50% chance of taking the hex, you took the risk of casualties of your own accord. You could have waited an impulse and lowered the risk. Sure, rolling a '2' is the worst possible result and you lost 2 units. But if you had waited an impulse and brought more force to bear, a '2' might have likely only cost one unit.

Sometimes the Axis can afford to wait an impulse, other times it needs to take risks to stay on schedule somewhat. If you have no other goals on the first turn than conquering Poland, you probably don't have any goals for the second turn either, so you might as well be very conservative and minimize casualties. The next item on your To Do List won't really pop until the 4th turn unless you are launching some other campaign.

All this is much more important for the Italians and Japanese. They need to be very careful making land attacks. And the Allies shouldn't really attack at all until 1942, unless the Axis really leave a wounded duck sitting right in front of them that they can remove with very little risk.
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: brian brian

I would note that if you had a 50% chance of taking the hex, you took the risk of casualties of your own accord. You could have waited an impulse and lowered the risk. Sure, rolling a '2' is the worst possible result and you lost 2 units. But if you had waited an impulse and brought more force to bear, a '2' might have likely only cost one unit.

Sometimes the Axis can afford to wait an impulse, other times it needs to take risks to stay on schedule somewhat. If you have no other goals on the first turn than conquering Poland, you probably don't have any goals for the second turn either, so you might as well be very conservative and minimize casualties. The next item on your To Do List won't really pop until the 4th turn unless you are launching some other campaign.

All this is much more important for the Italians and Japanese. They need to be very careful making land attacks. And the Allies shouldn't really attack at all until 1942, unless the Axis really leave a wounded duck sitting right in front of them that they can remove with very little risk.

Wow brian brian, I would rather play a bad AI then go up against you [:(] How are you brian glad to see you around.

Bo
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

I'm good, except my new face-to-face game got delayed till next summer by a four letter word that starts with W and ends with K. World in Flames' greatest enemy.

So I'm playing a little more solitaire. Kind of expensive to throw the laptop across the room when it rolls bad dice though.
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: brian brian

I'm good, except my new face-to-face game got delayed till next summer by a four letter word that starts with W and ends with K. World in Flames' greatest enemy.

So I'm playing a little more solitaire. Kind of expensive to throw the laptop across the room when it rolls bad dice though.

W**k, you do know we have language rules here don't you [:-] and that is one of the filthiest words I have ever heard on these forums, it is a word I have not used for lets see, hmm about 10 years now [;)]

I do not get bad rolls when I beta test [:D] My only fear in playing a real person is when he or she gets a good roll I won't have my reset button handy so I could change the roll. [:(] Oh well!

Bo

Return to “World in Flames”