Suggestions thread

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

salsendardo

RE: Suggestions thread

Post by salsendardo »

-Low priority-

Pilot names.
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

They are named...and with easy to remember names too. Here is US03861 followed by US03862 and so on. I look especially look forward to following the exploits of US02409, he is very exciting to watch.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
MechFO

Post by MechFO »

- Have the Garrison requirement for N Italy be triggered by the surrender of Italy (or alternatively loss of Messina/Sardinia/Corsica to simulate Italien support becoming more wobbly). Right now there seems to be little incentive for the German player to really invest in a forward defence.
Great_Ajax

Post by Great_Ajax »

I use ww2.dk for all of the Luftwaffe data- airbases, airframes, and number.

Trey
ORIGINAL: MechFO
ORIGINAL: Helpless

I meant the swaps happening as part of the production system, when items are exported and upgraded.

Adding extra group level setting is something we trying to avoid. It is possible to make combined switch, but it adds extra complexity which I'm not sure is worth the benefits.

I think we are talking past each other. I mean the special upgrades to G6/N and A5/U2. Though they seem to have a hard limit so the impact is not as bad as I feared initially.

Some more points:

- lower the AP requirement for flak redeployment if outside Germany/Italy(prior to surrender). I don't see a French city getting much say if part of it's flak cover gets withdrawn, and the current AP limits mean that all flak is frozen in place, even when in occupied countries.

- eliminate the AP cost for flak redeployment if attached to a town with only an airbase (named location with no Pop), right now these should probably count as pure airbase defences (attached to the airbase instead of the town) and it makes shifting around the airforce artificially hard since no flak defences can go with them.

- have an option to attach all empty airbases to a specific HQ.

- make it possible to see which air units participated in a combat during the current turn. Right now it's quite a hunt to try and figure that out unless it suffered catastrophic losses.

Some problems:

- look at the replacements system? Even with putting several divisions on refit in both east and west(at national level 4 depots), hardly any replacements are flowing even though I have some huge pool numbers (1000+ panzershrek, 1500+ 20mm AA, 1600 81mm mortars, 1000+ 75mmAT, 33k Manpower and lots of armaments).

- I have depots in the East of the map using huge numbers of trucks over several turns? I have no idea of what is going on.

Danzig 15'500
Koenigsberg 10'000
Bucharest 24'000
Lodz 13'000
Ploesti 10'000
Kuressare 2'500 (an island with literally nothing on it, this used to be over 15'000 until I built a depot in Riga, but I have no idea what it is supposed to be supplying)

Ploesti has a few fighter units right next door, but nothing else is east of Berlin/Vienna except for some scattered flak.

Some errata:

- add the Fw190A/U12 as a special upgrade variant (with it's pods), and the Me410B (seems to be missing entirely)

- your accuracy numbers seem to have the 30mm Mk108 (low velocity) and the 30mm Mk103 (high velocity) mixed up.

- your scenario designer probably already has the info but in case he doesn't here are the actual monthly LW strength reports http://www.ww2.dk/oob/bestand/flugbew.htm

"You want mercy!? I'm chaotic neutral!"

WiTE Scenario Designer
WitW Scenario/Data Team Lead
WitE 2.0 Scenario Designer
MechFO

Post by MechFO »

- in the screen where one can assign flak to a city, please make the columns sortable. Trying to find a specific place, flak unit or even flak type is quite a pain.
MechFO

Post by MechFO »

- change composition of EF losses. often the composition doesn't make much sense with Support Squads seemingly taking huge losses even if the other item categories have low losses. IMO this should only happen in "critical" and maybe rarely in "fluid" but not at all in stable (representing encircled units). Maybe scale the % scale of losses according to how close the items are to the frontline based on f.e. 3 categories: combat, fire support, support with progressively lower likelihood of being subject to losses.

- in the replacement segment have items like AFV's have first call on manpower. Right now it seems possible to have large AFV pools because the manpower get soaked up elsewhere first. In a similar vein, have support squads have a low priority. In effect this should represent the increasing cannibalisation of the support services to supply the combat elements (already represented in the Support Squad conversion and the TOE changes but IMO could be taken further). The Germans OTOH would suffer increased loss rates of damaged equipment and reduced fatigue recovery unless properly supported by Korps and Army HQ (which IMO are missing a bit of a role in this regard, since hardly any Support assistance is required from them.)

- I know what can't add endless load out variants but IMO the Axis bomber and NF units need more variants without the additional drop/internal tanks. Neither need it and it would create the possibility of a trade off, station them closer to the frontline, bigger risk of airfield attack, but lower fuel use, station them further away and accept higher fuel use per sortie. This would also help to rationalize fuel usage a bit.

- this is more for the next part of the series but show in the unit detail card whether a unit is classed as elite or not. Looking at the Italiens, some Paras are, some not, some Bersaglieri are and even a lone Infantry division apparently makes the grade but none of this is distinguishable in the game based on the name, unit type or unit icon.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”