War in the East Q&A

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Rommel76

RE: War in the East Q&A

Post by Rommel76 »

...of a turn?
morvael

Post by morvael »

I think it means how many lbs of fuel are spent per MP used.
Rommel76

Post by Rommel76 »

It can be... for example if we have 50 MPs and fuel consumption is 9, we would spend 450 for 50MPs is not much fuel ?
morvael

Post by morvael »

1 ton is 2000 lbs (short ton)
Rommel76

Post by Rommel76 »

Ok, thanks ;)
Rommel76

Post by Rommel76 »

When we see the losses screen report, in the ground units what does it mean SP & AC?

I've also saw the initial CAP in the air units, what does it mean?...Close Air Support, maybe?

Great game!
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Rommel76

When we see the losses screen report, in the ground units what does it mean SP & AC?

I've also saw the initial CAP in the air units, what does it mean?...Close Air Support, maybe?

Great game!

SP - Self Propelled. Usually applied to artillery mounted on a tank chassis.
AC - Armoured Car. Light armoured vehicles used for scouting and recon
CAP - Combat Air Patrol. Fighter aircraft launched to protect a specific area, usually the base and immediate area they are launched from. The number of a/c in the air is maintained throughout the day(light) so only a small number of fighter a/c will ever be in the air compared to those available at the base.
Rommel76

Post by Rommel76 »

Thanks Chris H for your answer
Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

WitE 2.0 is something we plan on getting to after WitW is completed. The expansion pack for WitE is a new scenario pack with 11 new scenarios.

Are we a long way off from this (years) or since the base game is there and the logistic and air system are developed and working in WitW, can we hope to see this in 2015?
*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
Rommel76

Post by Rommel76 »

Hi!, what means threat level 0/0/0 /?, where can I find it?
clinton matthews

Post by clinton matthews »

I have a question.

How do the Finns transport units to captured ports?

I have captured Leningrad several turn ago and I cannot transport between Helsinki and Leningrad.
RoflCopter4

Post by RoflCopter4 »

I tried to make this as a separate post but it wouldn't let me for some reason, so I'll just copy paste it here:

I quickly discovered in my first "proper" game as the Soviets that it is very easy to trick the AI into concentrating it's forces in the "rump" of Romania early on by threatening to pocket the troops there, thus leaving the rest of Romania largely undefended. As this part of the country is rather flat, it is then trivial to rush a few fast cavalry, motorized, and panzer divisions to Bucharest, end a turn with a unit there, and knock Romania out of the war by turn 7 or so. This doesn't work every time, and sometimes things can backfire, but when it does you destroy a solid fifth of the Axis's army and leave a massive gaping hole in their lines with no real effort.

Has anyone else noticed this? I feel that I should probably consider it an exploit and not actually use it in my "proper" attempt at a campaign, but I'm curious to know what others think about it.
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

Small questions about the locked HQ option.

Did this option forever cancel automatic support unit movement between HQ ?

Or this option only lock all HQ by default, but we can still manually restore automatic movement of support unit between HQ by settings individually some HQ to unlock/support unit limit = 3 for example.

Brakes are for cowards !!
821Bobo

Post by 821Bobo »

They are just locked at scenario start but you can anytime change the support limit even with locked HQs.
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

ORIGINAL: 821Bobo

They are just locked at scenario start but you can anytime change the support limit even with locked HQs.

Thank you !!
Manstein63

Post by Manstein63 »

Its advisable once you have set the number of SU that you require in the HQ that you lock it otherwise you will find that they may transfer out & be unavailable for your next turn (that issue has been causing me no end of problems in my current game with Michael T)
Manstein63
'There is not, nor aught there be, nothing so exalted on the face of god's great earth, as that prince of foods. THE MUFFIN!!!'

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

Another question :

I see in lot of AAR german (and soviet) players keeping tracks of captured&destroyed factories (such as armement, HI, Vehicule, etc....).

Did this information recorded in one table somewhere inside the game ? (Such as in looses reports ? ).

timmyab

Post by timmyab »

The Soviet player can compare his current factory numbers with those he started the campaign with to work out losses. The Axis player has to count them as he destroys them and keep a mental or written record.
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

Small question :
Did soviet artillery on-map brigade (like light howitzer brigade and light rocket brigade) are able to shoot from 2 cases like soviet artillery division ?
morvael

Post by morvael »

Yes, but their impact is small (few guns when compared to divisions).

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”