Do urban ruins break a rail line??

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

SMK-at-work

Do urban ruins break a rail line??

Post by SMK-at-work »

A couple of times now I've not been able to use rail movement through a urban ruin hex for no reason I can see - ie the rail line appears intact and there is no option for a rail repair unit to fix the line in that hex when I move one there.

The hex also appears to block the rial line for supply - ie supply values take a sharp dive the other side of it.

Then a few turns later it appears that rail can be used through the hex & I am unsure why.

There doesn't seem to be anything in the manual about this - does someone know what's happening in this case??

ta
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
golden delicious

RE: Do urban ruins break a rail line??

Post by golden delicious »

Off the top of my head I would guess the rail line doesn't properly link up across the hex, but it's difficult to see due to the combination of tilesets.

Maybe just me, as I use classic graphics. Other people may have graphic sets where this is impossible.
"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I was working on testing for this, what scenario are you using, and what hexes are in question ?
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

The scenario is D21, and the hex in question is the town of Mogilev just south of Orsha. I could get to the town from north and south, but the town itself was ruined & I couldn't enter that hex although it did not show "Broken rail".

thanks
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

The scenario is D21, and the hex in question is the town of Mogilev just south of Orsha. I could get to the town from north and south, but the town itself was ruined & I couldn't enter that hex although it did not show "Broken rail".

thanks

Screenshot?
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

I probably still have the save file so I can send it to anyone if you so desire in case I missed something.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Looking at it in the map editor, there is nothing unordinary [its the center hex, not the hex with the major river in it]. Its not even a Major Urban hex. D21 does use a custom .dll file for some terrain tiles, but I don't know if that has anything to do with this.

Rather than trying to recreate it, it might be of some help if you send me the .sal.

Attachments
jpeg39.jpg
jpeg39.jpg (18.78 KiB) Viewed 118 times
sPzAbt653

RE: D21 Rail Error

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Ok, here is a shot of the file with the problem. For some reason it is different from the version that I have. We can see that the rail line does not connect across one of the hex sides, making the move by rail impossible.

This supports my conspiracy theory that Elmer makes map changes when we aren't looking. [X(]

Rick, if you see this, double check the hex for this error in your file. It is the Mogilev near Orsha, not the one near Rumania.

Attachments
jpeg40.jpg
jpeg40.jpg (17.41 KiB) Viewed 118 times
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

Oh!! Well that would explain it...perhaps something to do with the file set I use??
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Well, if there is a difference between the png's and the bmp's, it would be weird its taken so many years to spot it. One way to find out is to switch to the bmp's and see if it changes.

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”