Jumped off the fence and no looking back!

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Major SNAFU_M

Jumped off the fence and no looking back!

Post by Major SNAFU_M »

Hi all,

I finally decided to stop sitting on the fence on this one. I loved Harpoon and I watched this sim take shape for a long time. The sale tipped me over into the gotta buy it now frame of mind.

So now I have my first question (of course).

Are the tutorials still valid at this point?

I ask because I started with the ship handling tutorial and, following the briefing I light up my radar immediately (making sure the EMCON override is off) and set a course of around 180-190 and start off in creep or cruise. I have ran this scenario about 6 times and if I set this course then after a very short time I pick up the aircraft, but I don't pick up the missiles until they are about 1.9 NM from the ship, which is too late to do anything about it.

I scratched my head, re-read everything many times and explored the interface many times.

I then, just on a lark, decide to shape my initial course at about 110 at creep. This time the scenario unfolded as I expected, I picked up the aircraft at a goodly distance and then the Vampires at around 30 nm. Now I could fight the ship (that is I could watch the AI fight the ship).

I seem to be able to replicate the above results pretty well. At this point I am forced to assume that the different course is unmasking a sensor type that the original course did not. I can figure out another explanation.

Of course, since I am on my old XP SP3 machine, I have also encountered a number of crashes with this scenario, so there may be an extra-sim explanation for this observed behavior.

Any ideas?

"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." -

"One ping to find them all,
One ping to link them;
One ping to promote them all,
and in the darkness sink them"
mikmykWS

RE: Jumped off the fence and no looking back!

Post by mikmykWS »

Make sure that you've turned on all SPY-1D radar arrays. If a quadrant is off you won't see the shots until they're in visual range.

Thanks!

Mike
Major SNAFU_M

Post by Major SNAFU_M »

Okay. Thanks. I will double-check this.

Okay. I checked this and this appears to resolve the issue - but I am not sure how I missed it before. Chalk it up to the learning-curve....
"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." -

"One ping to find them all,
One ping to link them;
One ping to promote them all,
and in the darkness sink them"
Casinn

Post by Casinn »

Learning curve doesn't end, this game will teach you something each night. :) Have fun with it!

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”