Wrangling Loki - Mind_Messing (J) vs Lokasenna (A)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

mind_messing

RE: Moresby Melee

Post by mind_messing »

June 2nd to June 15th, 1943

It's been quite a while since the last update, but the pace of the game has slowed somewhat. Still, we're half-way through 1943.

North Pacific

The Allies mount a few night raids on Paramushiro-jima with Navy B-26's. They don't do any damage, but the IJA AA Regiment stationed on the island damages a few. Flak, combined with the distance to target means the Allies abandon their attacks after a few nights.

It's effectively the first raid on the Home Islands from land-based aircraft, which is something to worry about.

Central Pacific

Quiet.

The draw-down from the Marshalls and Gilberts is almost complete. Ponape and Kusaie Islands both have decent garrisons, and I've even managed to send a unit all the way back to Yap to start building up troops there as well.

Guam airbase is built up to level 7, and work will continue till it's maxed out at a size 8 airbase. Construction of forts has stopped at level 7, but will resume once the work on the airbase is complete.

Work on Tinian has stopped: it's currently hosts a 1(1) port and a 5(4) airbase, with level 7 forts securing the island and a crack 97 EXP division with 460 AV serving as a garrison. The only thing Tinian needs now is some extra CD guns (only 20 8cm and 8 12cm guns defending the island) and aviation support. Another 200 or so AV wouldn't hurt either, and I've started running shuttles of minelaying TF's to build up the minefields around the base.

The engineers on Tinian are moving to Sapian, which is being built up to a 5(5) airbase with level 7 forts. The defences of Rota are complete, with the base sitting at 1(0) port and a 4(3) airfield with level 6 forts.

Work continues on Pagan, though the rest of the northern islands are being left undeveloped - there's no sense wasting supply developing small airbases when there are four larger ones within an 8 hex radius. They'll be garrisoned by token units, however. If I get the time, I may develop Anatahan into a 3(2) airbase, just to provide a solid fighter base between the northern and southern islands.

South-West Pacific

The evacuation of the Guadalcanal complex goes off without a hitch. The 26th Air Flotilla is flown out by aircraft, and the KB covers the withdrawal of the bulk of aviation support from the island.

Once the KB withdraws, the Allies send a monster surface combat force containing three heavy crusiers and two light crusiers to see what they can snap up, but they somehow avoid both the IJN cover force and the transports and no combat occurs.

Over New Guinea, the only action is a big sweep of Port Moresby by two big IJN fighter groups. They find a bunch of Hurricanes flying CAP over the base and proceed to slaughter them. This was a good feeling, as both of these groups had been badly mauled over Buna, and it was good to show Lokasenna that my air strength in the region has fully recovered.

DEI

The Allies re-occupy Darwin, destroying the fragment SNLF garrison. Gove has also became a size 2 airbase, so no doubt the Allies will be creeping closer to the DEI from this direction shortly.

Thankfully, I'm well positioned to block any advances through the Arafura Sea.

An interesting point of information was the I-38, patrolling off Portland, Austrailia, which spotted a CV and destroyers heading west. I've more subs en-route to see what is developing here.

China-Burma-India

Urumchi is still in Japanese hands, and there's rescue coming in the form of a tank regiment! It's only 750 miles away now!

Burma has remained quiet. The Chinese stack that made a tentative move into Burma has mirrored the movements of my troops and started to withdraw - no doubt we're both finding it impossible to keep troops supplied under combat conditions.

There's 100 ships and 37 units sitting idle in Colombo, which has me worried. I've been preparing for an Allied move from Sri Lanka to Sumatra or Burma, but I'm just not ready yet - the Andamans urgently need garrison troops to act as a speedbump.

Engineers are also ear-marked for Thailand to build up airbases linked by railroad for later in the war.

Question to the Gallery

On the topic of "later in the war", I'm clueless as to what to do once Burma falls. My first thought is to split my forces - half go to defend Malaya along the Georgetown-Patani axis, while the other half run for Northern Indochina, leaving token garrisons in Bangkok and Saigon.

From looking at the map, I don't really see how Thailand and Southern Indochina can be defended - any attempt to hold a frontline will just get cut off by Allied armoured stacks racing down the excellent road network.

I think the best bet to hold even some of Indochina would be to try to defend the jungle between Vinh and Hanoi. Thoughts?

[center]Image
Japanese service troops being withdrawn from Guadalcanal. Conducted in full view of the Allies but without any successful interference, it enabled a large number of Japanese units to be redeployed further north.[/center]
mind_messing

RE: Moresby Melee

Post by mind_messing »

June 16th to 19th, 1943

Pretty much nothing has happened, so here's some maps and plans.

The DEI

I don't have the slightest idea as to what I'm doing here, but I've based my plan on the assumption that big airbases are a pain to take out, and geared by plans towards establishing some size 9 airbases right in the path of the Allied advance.

Since the Allies pushed my rear-guard out of Darwin and started working on securing the sea-lanes through the Arafura Sea, the DEI has slowly been coming under more and more danger.

[center]Image[/center]

The red hexes indicate the two cornerstones of my defence to the DEI - Manado and Makassar. Celebes seems to me a pretty strategic island, so having two size 9 airbases on it should be quite handy.

The green hexes are all my smaller bases, and the white bases represent my smaller outposts.

Makassar, despite being a clear hex, is close to my size 9 airbases on Soerabaja, and if I can free up the engineers, I may develop some of the bases north of it to support it. I'm also going to shift the Combined Fleet HQ from Kendrai to Makassar (Makassar is a 4(2) port, but Kendrai is a 3(2) port) and let Makassar serve as a forward base for the IJN.

Manado is also going to be built up for the purpose of thwarting any move northwards from Darwin through the Banda Sea. The dot hex directly to the north-east of Manado will be built up and garrisoned as well.

You can't see it on the map, but I'm also going to dig Balikipapan's airbase up to level 9 as well. This means if the Allies want to push north-west from Darwin towards Java, they'll be faced with four level 9 airbases (Makassar, Soerabaja, Balikipapan and a level 9 AF on the far eastern tip of Java, the name of which eludes me).

Kendrai is a level 5(5) airbase, and I don't think I'll build it any further. If the Allies smash through the Timor-Banda Sea defences, Kendrai will serve as a frontline base to take the punishment. Wuth a level 9 airbase at Makassar only 5 hexes away, I don't see the need to expend further supplies.

To the east, Bolea and Wagieo are both level 6 airbases, and Sorong is a level 5 base. The cluster of bases here are important, as they'll be a critical link between my defences in New Guinea and in the DEI. There's no garrison for Wagieo and Sorong has a token garrison force, so I'll need to get stuff moved here double-quick if the Allies start making moves against the Timor-Banda Sea line.

Ambon is a 4(3) airbase that just needs a garrison and some aviation support to be of great use in closing the gap between Kendrai and Bolea.

Babo is just a small 1(1) port and 2(2) airbase that exists to defend the 20 oil wells there, but it will make a decent base for fighters and some search planes to keep tabs on the Allies.

In the longer term, I hope to be able to occupy and dig up Ternate to a 4(3) airbase, just to fill in the gaps between by bases.

In an ideal world, I want the Eastern DEI to be secured from any northward thrust by two lines of defence. The first: Boela-Ambon-Kendrai-Makassar. The second: Manado-Ternate-Wagieo-Sorrong.

New Guinea/South-West Pacific

Something slightly different here.

[center]Image[/center]

As can be seen from the red bounded hexes, the New Britian Barrier will hopefully deter the Allies from pushing forward from their toehold at Port Moresby. If they do, they'll be forced to either hit the Lae-Finschafen-Umboi Island line that I'm developing, or try to worm their way around it. Either way, they'll be operating within range of several big Japanese airbases, which is fine with me.

The green hexes mark my second line here. Hansa Bay (AF at level 9) and Manus (a 5(5) airbase) should both be good roadblocks in the event that the Allies bulldoze their way through the Barrier. Kavieng should be marked green as well, as I've been slowly building that base up to AF size 6, in prepration for the day that Rabual is exposed.

The blue hexes are the third line. Hollandia is a 5(5) airbase. Atipae is undeveloped, but destined to be a 5(5) airbase as well. These two bases will be luckly to halt the Allied advance, but I think it will be worth it just to keep some depth to the defence.

After Hollandia and Atipae, there's no bases on New Guinea that I plan to develop. The area between Hollandia and Sorrong-Waigeo will be condeeded to the Allies.

My reasoning is that by the time Hollandia is in the hands of the Allies, the Japanese flank in the Central Pacific is well and truely exposed - the Allies can start bombing Truk and landings on the Carolines or around Babeldoab. Japanese bases at Biak or the surrounding region won't be of any use in preventing that, and the linear positioning of bases around Biak is just an invitation to get troops cut off.

Questions

So, am I crazy?

Defending the DEI and Northern New Guinea is pretty new to me, so I'd love to hear from folks that have been there and got the t-shirt...
mind_messing

Preparing for Downfall

Post by mind_messing »

So I've two Downfall games on the go, and I've picked up quite a few things that I think will impact this game as well.

- China may be a back-water, but once the Allies start to push closer to the Home Islands, mainland China takes on more and more importance. I'll need to develop airbases around Hong Kong and Shanghai (to deny the Allies the use of the repairs yards) as well as around the Amoy/Foochow region (to provide bases to help defend Formosa).

- Aircraft and pilot pools are going to need to be deep. Very deep. Thankfully I've got a good stockpile of pilots at present, though production is lagging behind - I'm waiting for the first late-war airframes before I start jacking production up.

- Size 8 and 9 airbases are important to enable you to throw fighters en-masse against Allied bombers. The double aviation support also helps. I've had engineers in the Home Islands working on digging airfields in important hexes, as well as in those hexes that get a free static base force. The work isn't complete yet, but there are some restricted engineers in the reinforcement queue that should speed this along.

- If it's not a late-war fighter, it won't fare well in combat with the Thunderbolt and Mustang. Hence why I'm putting a lot into getting the Sam, Tony and Frank online as soon as possible. I'm also trying to pull the Ki-83, Ki-94, Shinden and Ki-201 forward in the hope that I'll be able to get enough of them up to beat off the inevitable mass Mustang/Thunderbolt sweeps.
mind_messing

RE: Preparing for Downfall

Post by mind_messing »

June 20th to July 1st, 1943

The war plods along slowly.

North Pacific

Situation is as usual up here.

The Allies are running regular recon runs over the three northern-most islands, so they've some idea of just how heavily entrenched I am here.

That said, the southern islands are somewhat more lightly held. Enough to defend against anything but an all-out attack, but I'll need to see about reinforcing Etorofu and Shimushiri-jima to about divisional strength by early '44.

[center]Image
The North Pacific Theater.[/center]

Central Pacific

Things have been quiet here as well. Besides the usual movement of supply to the more isolated islands, long-range submarines heading out from the Marshalls and the occasional reshuffling of air units, this theater is another back-water.

I've a pretty solid line of defence from Tabiteuea all the way back to Truk now. Most of the important islands with 6k stacking limits are well defended, and those islands with 30k stacking limits or unlimited stacking limits have at least a brigade behind some forts. The bases right on the frontline also have some CD guns, though in a few cases they're pretty lightweight 8cm or 12cm guns.

Further back at the Marianas, however, things are looking much, much different. Guam has been maxed out to a level 8 airbase, and engineers are now working on getting the forts maxed out at level 9. Work on the rest of the chain is winding down, so some of the engineers will be sent elsewhere.

In terms of troops, only Guam is as defended as I'd like it to be, but all the islands have at least one division defending them, though they're a bit short on artillery. With most of the Southern Army artillery train is sitting idle in Rangoon, I'm considering moving some of the better artillery units over to the Marianas.

[center]Image
The defenders of Guam. Sadly, none of these divisions are the crack formations freed from China, but even with just 55 EXP I'm confident they'll do well behind level 9 forts in x2 terrain!.[/center]

South-West Pacific

I move some aircraft back in to Hansa Bay, and the Allies start up their fustrating night-time raids that kill off a couple of IJA aircraft per night. I'll persist here, if only for a few more turns.

Having moved most of the aviation support off of Guadalcanal, I'm going to try to get two HQ units off as well. I'd like to get the 2nd Army and the 2nd Area Army HQ's off of Guadalcanal and redeployed further to the rear. The 2nd Area Army will serve as the Army HQ for the Marianas, and I think I'll send the 2nd Army HQ to the northern tip of New Guinea.

So far, I'm pretty amazed that Lokasenna has been content to sit and let me withdraw in peace. Besides the occasional sub attack, my withdrawal from Guadalcanal as been conducted without interference.

[center]Image
The situation in the South-West Pacific.[/center]

DEI

Work on the defences here continues. A big stack of engineers are hard at work developing Manado, and once that base is a size 9 AF they'll move south and start working on Makassar and Kendrai.

The cruiser Santa Fe sinks a picket PB boat west of Cocos Island - a very strange occurance that leads me to shift some more search assets to watch the Indian Ocean. Combined with the fact that I had a sub sighting on a CV heading west from Oz earlier in the month has me worried about this theater.

As a result, most of my air strength is concentrated around Java and Sumatra. I'll have good warning of any Allied move from Austrailia, so I just need to be vigiliant against a strike from the open ocean.

The KB has arrived safely in Soerabaja harbour to guard against any Allied moves in the region.

China-Burma-India

China remains a back-water.

Two Army HQ's are being transfered from Burma to the Marianas. I've an abundance of HQ's in this theater, most of which are restricted and belong to the China Expeditionary Army, so I can free up two unrestricted ones without much trouble.

I'm debating moving the Burma Area Army out of Burma as well, but I can't think where I'd move it too.

A few engineer units have been sent back to Thailand from Burma to start preparing those bases for the day that they end up on the frontline. My focus is on the Chiang-Mai/Bangkok axis, with another smaller base at Victoria Point/Chumphon.

The sooner these bases are developed, the happier I'll be, as the Allied strength in India appears to be growing, and the number of Allied units and ships sitting in harbour at Colombo is becoming worrysome.

Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

So I've two Downfall games on the go, and I've picked up quite a few things that I think will impact this game as well.

I can barely keep up with 1 Downfall game.[:D]

Tony won't do well...

mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

I can barely keep up with 1 Downfall game.[:D]

I used the same first turn orders, so all I had to do was not make the same mistakes twice.
Tony won't do well...

The Ki-100's aren't there to do well, they're there to be an extra airframe with an SR of 1.

I've my CAP settings just about figured out for the late war. The Tojo's are the high CAP, seeing as they've got a rate of climb that's only beaten by the jet fighters. The Ki-100 Tony's will take the mid-altitude CAP - they'll be going for any bombers with their two centerline 20mm cannons. The Oscars will take the medium to low CAP to hopefully draw down any sweepers.

The IJN Jack's perform the same role as the Tojo on the high CAP, and the George with those 20mm cannons lends itself to being the bomber interceptor.

It's just a shame that all the good late-war airframes for Japan have those SR's of 3 and above, as I'd rather not waste HI on building planes that won't be competitive.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

What do you think of this matchup? Of course, Randy would be joined by other fighters, too.

Attachments
randy.jpg
randy.jpg (89.64 KiB) Viewed 71 times
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Dive and Speed are pretty much the only things that matter in the air model. Not sure which one is most important though as I´ve never sandboxed it. Unless you find out by yourself I can probably give you an answer next week. [:)]

My instinct says the P47s will rip the Randys to pieces though. I think the "evade" mechanic is closely tied to the speed and with almost a 100 MPH speed advantage...
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Dive and Speed are pretty much the only things that matter in the air model. Not sure which one is most important though as I´ve never sandboxed it. Unless you find out by yourself I can probably give you an answer next week. [:)]

My instinct says the P47s will rip the Randys to pieces though. I think the "evade" mechanic is closely tied to the speed and with almost a 100 MPH speed advantage...

Look at the gun value differential. The Randy is a bomber-killer. Fighting P-47s with cannons is a bad deal.
The Moose
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
Look at the gun value differential. The Randy is a bomber-killer. Fighting P-47s with cannons is a bad deal.

Good point. [:)]
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

I'm with Joc and Bullwinkle on this. The Randy belongs at a loweer level, where it can do good work with it's center-line cannons against bombers, not up at maximum altitude where the P-47/51's can out-run it and out turn it.

General thoughts on the Ki-102 line in general:

- Producing the Randy "a" fighter model is a bit of a waste. The 37mm cannon is a waste (adjusted accuracy of 6), and there are plenty of single-seat aircraft with center-line 20mm guns by the time that you could get the Randy "a" rolling off the production lines.

- If you're going to use the Randy for day-time work, it really should be the "b" fighter-bomber model. It comes 4 months before the "a" fighter model, has a much better main gun (57mm CL with adjusted accuracy of 8) as well as a pair of 250kg bombs. The "b" model is inferior in performance to the "a" model, but that shouldn't matter much when you're going up against bombers.

- In terms of IJA fighter-bombers, the Randy "b" is a pretty solid choice that should see you through to the end of the war and is far superior to any of the other late-war fighter-bomber models. The Ki-119 is too late of be of any real worth, though it does have a nice bomb-load. The Ki-93-Ib looks nice with its 75mm gun, but good luck getting hits with an adjusted accuracy of 6!

- However, there isn't (in my eyes, anyways) enough difference seperating it from the Ki-45 Nick line to merit R&D'ing the Randy "b". If you use fighter-bombers as anti-Fletcher attack aircraft and as bomber-killers as I do, there's not much to separate the Nick "c" model and the Randy "b" model other than a performance boost and a slightly upgraded main gun.

- The Randy "c" night-fighter seems very much worth the effort to get it as early as possible. Only IJA night fighter with radar.

For what it's worth, I intend to endure the Nick "c" till 11/44 rolls around then shift all my fighter-bombers to use the Randy "b". I'll be using them as I'm currently using my fighter bombers - anti-bomber CAP over major airbases.

Both the Randy "a" and "b" look pretty decent (abiet expensive) kamikazies,:

From the only time the Randy as seen action in my Downfall games, they did pretty well in a low naval attacks on soft-skinned destroyers - they've the guns, bombs and armour to do pretty well at that role (provided the training is there). If a few pilots decide to try and ram a ship, they're in a pretty solid airframe to do some damage.

The Randy "b"s that I build will end up being on anti-bomber CAP or trying to sneak a naval attack on to exposed Allied convoys. Once Japan is down to the wire, I'll use them as as a conventional supliment to a larger kami attack on a big Allied task force.
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

Also, Joc, you've ground through the late-war Japanese. Feel free to share your findings!
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

- The Randy "c" night-fighter seems very much worth the effort to get it as early as possible. Only IJA night fighter with radar.

I seem to recall that you can accelerate getting Randy c; but that the radar activation date is very, very late 10/45.[X(]

I looked at the Ki93Ib, but it has a SR of 4!

mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

I seem to recall that you can accelerate getting Randy c; but that the radar activation date is very, very late 10/45.[X(]

I looked at the Ki93Ib, but it has a SR of 4!

Even without the radar, the Randy "c" is still worth it. The only other reasonable IJA night fighter is the KAI Dinah, which suffers from a lack of armour and a pretty poor climb rate.

If the Ki-93-Ib came a year earlier and has an SR of 2, I might have used it over the Randy just for the extra range on it. As it is, it arrives too late to do any good.

At the end of the day, the Randy might be the inferior airframe when compared to the Ki-93-Ib, but the Randy "b" has a pair of very accurate 20mm cannons as back-up, while I feel like the Ki-93-Ib could shoot at a bomber or a ship all day and still not get a hit with it's 75mm cannon.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Agree! Doesn't really manage how big the gun is if it can't hit! [:D]

Of course they can always collide.[:)] But you can do that cheaper in a single engine.
mind_messing

On Kamikazes

Post by mind_messing »

For future reference more than anything else, here's what I intend to use once kamikazes are unlocked, and how I'll use them.

IJA Single Engine:

- IJA Single engine bombers: Will be used up as soon as possible, preferably at the Marianas so as to maximize airbase capacity.

- Ki-43 Oscar: All models. The early war models that only have dinky bombs (15kg? seriously) will be expended as ablative escort armour and the later versions with the 2x250kg bombs will fly as kamikazes.
- Ki-44 Tojo: Not the most impressive plane, with 2x100kg bombs, but I should have a fair number once all my groups upgrade to next-gen aircraft.
- Ki-84 Frank: I don't expect to have many of these spare, but once the Frank "r" comes online, I'll try to keep a few to one side to serve as top-quality kamikazes against high-value targets.
- Ki-100 Tony: This is to be my main IJA fighter for the late game, but I hope to be able to set enough aside for a couple of kamikaze groups. I'll use them for high-value targets.
- Ki-115 Tsurugi: I've 2 R&D factories trying to get this plane online. Fastest IJA bomber, one engine, 800kg bomb. Simple enough.

IJA Twin Engine

Ki-21 Sally: I'll have about 100 of these sitting in the pools, so they need used.
Ki-48 Lily: 100 in the pools.
Ki-49 Helen:100 of all models in the pools, but I'll have more once the Peggy goes online.

IJN Single Engine

A6M line: Will fly as ablative armour for kamikaze strikes. None of the fighter versions carry anything bigger than a pair of 60kg bombs, and I'm not wasting HI on the fighter-bombers.
N1K2-J George: Once this model is superceded by the 5-J model, I'll set a few aside for kamikaze strikes against high-value targets.
D3A1 Val: I've 260 in pool, and they'll be saved up for the Marianas.
Floatplanes: 400 of various models, and I'll use them as commando kamikazes flying in to operate from dox hexes and bases behind Allied lines.
Toka: One engine. Fast. 800kg bomb.

I don't think I'll use any IJN single engine torpedo bombers as kami's. I'd rather keep them for large-scale conventional attacks - so long as my pool of NavT trained pilots holds up.

IJN Twin Engine

My IJN 2E torpedo bombers will be saved for conventional strikes if possible. I may convert a unit or two for long-range strikes behind enemy lines.

Kamikaze Use

I plan to heavily escort my kamikazes. I want to try to keep a ratio of 3 escorts for every kamikaze aircraft. This may make it more difficult to plan kami strikes, but it's essential to hit anything against late-war Allied super-CAP. Plus, I'd rather lose 500 aircraft and get 5 hits on an Allied carrier than lose 100 aircraft and only get 1 hit.

Attacks will be organized along two lines: the low strike (aircraft flying at 100ft) and the high strike (aircraft flying at their maximum altitude). While this will mean co-ordination falls apart, it will split up the Allied CAP quite nicely. The organization of the high/low strike will be pretty equal at the start, but I'll "stack" one strike over the other on a regular basis so that the Allies won't get comfortable.

Where possible, kami attacks will be combined with conventional attacks flying at regular altitude, just to keep things interesting.

Thoughts? Anyone got enough experiance with kami's to provide advice?
Bullwinkle58

RE: On Kamikazes

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

The AI likes to use Willows . . .
The Moose
mind_messing

RE: On Kamikazes

Post by mind_messing »

Interestingly enough, I get a couple hundred Willows free with reinforcement groups...

It's probably better than some of the early war IJA single engine trash...
obvert

Post by obvert »

Interestingly enough, I get a couple hundred Willows free with reinforcement groups...

It's probably better than some of the early war IJA single engine trash...

You get a lot of other crap 1E kamis too, like the Shiragaku and the other bi-plane. They can work in numbers I'm sure, but by mid-45 I had enough of the better frames still available and hadn't yet resorted to these. The 2E with higher durability will get through better, especially the fast Peggys.
- Ki-115 Tsurugi: I've 2 R&D factories trying to get this plane online. Fastest IJA bomber, one engine, 800kg bomb. Simple enough.
I had high hopes for the Ki-115 but couldn't get enough online to really make a difference. It also suffers from short range and low durability, if I recall around 22, so less than an Oscar. Not many will make it through Allied flak even if you can get them in range.
Floatplanes: 400 of various models, and I'll use them as commando kamikazes flying in to operate from dox hexes and bases behind Allied lines.

These can definitely be useful, especially with their LR. They don't have to be kamis to work well though. The 4 x 60kg bombs did some nice work in my late game situation if trained in Low Nav and if he's not covering the entire rear LOC.
I don't think I'll use any IJN single engine torpedo bombers as kami's. I'd rather keep them for large-scale conventional attacks - so long as my pool of NavT trained pilots holds up.

The Grace is your best strike plane in any format. It rocks. It'll be a fantastic kami, but also will do wonders delivering TT and as a DB. I used them primarily as a DB/TB but where I wanted range and speed for surprise kami strikes, this was the choice and had some spectacular successes. I find them more useful as a DB with the two bombs to hit, even though they're smaller 250kg. Once you get hits the TB can get at the slower ships more easily.
My IJN 2E torpedo bombers will be saved for conventional strikes if possible. I may convert a unit or two for long-range strikes behind enemy lines.

The Frances was probably my most useful 2E kami. They are fast with good durability and I had a lot of naval low nav trained pilots.

You don't mention the D4Y line at all. The earlier versions are definitely kamis by the late game if you have some left, but the D4Y3-4 are fantastic with their speed, 500-800kg load and medium range.
I plan to heavily escort my kamikazes. I want to try to keep a ratio of 3 escorts for every kamikaze aircraft. This may make it more difficult to plan kami strikes, but it's essential to hit anything against late-war Allied super-CAP. Plus, I'd rather lose 500 aircraft and get 5 hits on an Allied carrier than lose 100 aircraft and only get 1 hit.

Attacks will be organized along two lines: the low strike (aircraft flying at 100ft) and the high strike (aircraft flying at their maximum altitude). While this will mean co-ordination falls apart, it will split up the Allied CAP quite nicely. The organization of the high/low strike will be pretty equal at the start, but I'll "stack" one strike over the other on a regular basis so that the Allies won't get comfortable.

Where possible, kami attacks will be combined with conventional attacks flying at regular altitude, just to keep things interesting.

In the beta your escort will get broken down even when using a lot of extra escorts. It just happens.

The low high thing is useful, but really it's all about numbers and good weather. I like the conventional/kami mix too. Whatever you do, change it up frequently as he adjusts. Maybe one time go low/high, then the next time you load up one band and overwhelm the CAP with some coordination after he splits CAP into layered bands. I can be useful to try small FP strikes frequently to test the CAP. By this point you're not worried about losing 20-30 planes for good information. [;)]
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

+1
Defense is also using the maneuver rating, but you need a closer speed differential to get anything out of that.

All late war Japanese planes use primarily cannons, and some do quite well even when they're forward mounts on the wings at half the accuracy. The guns are great here, as the CL mounts will definitely kill anything they can catch. But they won't catch the P-47N.

You're absolutely right that these are bomber killers. With the dive they'd maybe get a kill or two before getting crushed by the P-47N later in the battle. For a comparison just look at the Ki-45 Ia Nick (331mph) vs an earlier P-47D (325mph). We all know what happens there.

The Frank Ki-84r and the Jack J2M5 are the only airframes I had that stood a chance against the P-47N, and they mostly just got flamed. Numbers are the key, but in a day two battle with their service 3 that's not going to happen much.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Return to “After Action Reports”