1.08 Discussion

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

morvael

RE: 1.08 Discussion - Fins not activated

Post by morvael »

You would have to uninstall all, and install back to 1.07.15. The problem is saves from 1.08 won't load under 1.07 anymore.
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Read that there is a preferred or required sequence to install WitE basic, Don to Dan, and Lost Battles & then 1.08.01 (whatever.) Have Lost Battles & 1.08.01, but what do I do if I acquire Don to Dan now? (Somewhere I have the game CD from the dark ages.)
morvael

Post by morvael »

Best choice is to uninstall all and reinstall from scratch, you could try to install only Don to Danube, then Lost Battles, then 1.08.01. Only one install less and you don't have guarantee everything will be in proper version after the process. Of course backup saves when reinstalling.
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

It irrelevant which expansion you install first as long as you re-apply the current patch aftwerwards. It *should* re-install the relevant patches but there's no warranty it really does.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

As I have original CD (somewhere) think I'll do from scratch & rebuild in recommended sequence. There's always chance of corruption coming from unknown source. 1.08.01 patch would be only one applied.

Thanks all advice.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Expansions install some patches as well (1.06.xx in case of DttD and 1.07.xx in case of LB). That's why it's important to install everything in correct order.
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

If you install LB first, then DttD, the DttD installer will not patch the game to a lower level. As long as one installs the latest official or beta patch afterwards, everything gets properly updated.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Thanks, I didn't know that.
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Aha... just noticed that Soviet losses appear accurately shown at end of turn report. Using 1.08.01 (latest?) and wonder where/when this was corrected. Anyone, any clue?
Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

OK it's been a loooooong time since I've played this game. I've noticed that surrounded units can escape, they are not destroyed or surrender. Sometimes they do but many times they rout and move off beyonf my encirclement. Is this a change or have units always been able to skirt away even if surrounded?

It's plausible, since I'm sure no encirclement is absolutely solid some units would be able to escape and try to reform. I just seem to remember that last time I played I was able to destroy the units I had surrounded…but I could be wrong. [:)]
*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

They are considered truly surrounded (=isolated) if already surrounded during your logistic phase at the beginning of your turn. Otherwise they are just cut-off. Morvale may answer this better but sometimes a port offers a valid retreat/route path for otherwise surrounded units
morvael

Post by morvael »

Units are destroyed when surrounded in one turn and attacked in next turn without regaining supply in their own turn (= while being isolated, unit does not become isolated until its next logistics phase, even if surrounded). They are also destroyed when surrounded and attacked on the same turn, when the MP cost to closest proper rout destination is greater than 40MP (which was confirmed only recently). Units supplied from ports are not isolated (unless the port is reduced below a functioning capacity of 1), so they can rout via sea.
micheljq

Post by micheljq »

Hello, just my 2 cents. Actually, with v. 1.7.05 something. Troops cut-off lose almost all their combat value in 1 turn right?

I find it a little hard, I understand that troops cut-off from supply lose effectiveness. But it should decrease over time no?

Michel.
Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”