Upcomming 41 Module

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

sfbaytf

Upcomming 41 Module

Post by sfbaytf »

Any idea on when this will come out? I thought I saw somewhere else Greece and the Balkans will be included. If so will the Greece and Balkans campaigns be in it and is there a possibility of having another grand campaign starting from 41 where Germany does not invade the Soviet Union?
Numdydar

RE: Upcomming 41 Module

Post by Numdydar »

Considering WitW took 4 years and they are still patching and thinking of add-ons, I would suspect somewhere around 2018 [X(]
wosung

Post by wosung »

But I'm already curious if those following modules will be solitaire games which only in the end will result into War in Europe. Or if it is planned to have, say, a 1941 Med modul with a grand campaign to 1945, by connecting it to War in the West 1943-1945?

Growing grand campaign or solitaire campaigns?
wosung
HeinzHarald

Post by HeinzHarald »

Regarding the timeline Joel said this during the Reddit AMA:
We're hoping to finish some additional Western Front products in 2015 and 2016, and after that will probably be moving east.

And of course this was stated in the Wargamer interview:
We hope to produce products that cover the battle in North Africa in late 42-43, Poland 1939, France 1940 (and possibly a campaign that links the two). We’re also looking at earlier battles in North Africa.
henri51

Post by henri51 »

And I saw somewhere in the manual (I think) that the producers were thinking of combining this game and WiTE into a big War in Europe game.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Well I certainly buy this game if a early War module comes out.
Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

Yes! Two things I am looking forward to is WitE 2.0 incorporating the new air and logistics system of WitW and the 41 Mod...it is sorely needed.

North Africa is a must. [&o]
*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

This post by Erik leads me to believe that anything outside of 43-45 west campaign would be a separate/new game, and not DLC:

fb.asp?m=3760002
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Correct.
wosung

Post by wosung »

As a gamer I'm not so much interested in if it's called expansion, modul or dlc. But more so in the start and end dates of the campaigns modelled there within. So, my question is, would a Med modul start in 1940 and end in 1943 with no option to *convert* it to War in the West 1943-1945?

Eric wrote: "While we'd like to do releases that cover more ground in the future, these really would be full new games in terms of the work required. They are not DLCs/Expansions and should not be considered part of the WITW price. For better or worse, it takes a lot of work and time to put these games together."

I'm under the impression that in the above mentioned cite Eric was talking about workload and pricing, but not about game concepts: Designing the naval war is hard work, thus it can't be a cheap scenario DLC. It will be a stand alone game.

Arguably more people are interested in a grand campaign than in scenarios. Thus, it would be cool if the grand campaign would be growing with each module. Instead of just being the last step of putting all existing modules together in, say, 2030.
wosung
Panzeh

Post by Panzeh »

I don't think it's possible to make a good 1940-1945 War in the West game.
wosung

Post by wosung »

What about North Africa to Berlin (1940-1945), including the Bombing War and the Battle of the Atlantic?

Or a East & West Grand campaign 1943-45?
wosung
Panzeh

Post by Panzeh »

ORIGINAL: wosung
What about North Africa to Berlin (1940-1945), including the Bombing War and the Battle of the Atlantic?

Possibly, but I think that you start adding more overhead than the game really can handle. You also have the problem in that you have political considerations as diplomacy still had some kind of effect, and I don't think anyone will ever agree on a good model for it.
Or a East & West Grand campaign 1943-45?

This might work reasonably well.

This all being said, I don't think expanding and pushing more more more into the game is really the right way to go, but i'm in the minority here, i'm sure. I don't think bigger is necessarily better.
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

I think 2by3 has the right approach. North Africa is a good 'bookended' campaign. As a separate game, they can work out the kinks in the naval system as that would be needed for something like this.

Then an earlier '40-42? game that could handle the oddness of that period. If they wanted it could start in '39 and have some kind of political system that they could develop/test in that game.

Plus adding all these new features to WitE.

So I would suspect 8+ years before we even began to see a true War in Europe game at this scale. Its not that they don't want to do it, it is just a question on what they have the time and resources to do and stay in business.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: Panzeh

I don't think it's possible to make a good 1940-1945 War in the West game.

SPI's War in the West covered 39-45. As the Axis player, you were almost unstoppable, then came 1941, and most of your army got sucked into Russia. So there was very little to do except wait for the Allied invasions.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Panzeh

Post by Panzeh »

ORIGINAL: Aurelian
SPI's War in the West covered 39-45. As the Axis player, you were almost unstoppable, then came 1941, and most of your army got sucked into Russia. So there was very little to do except wait for the Allied invasions.

Hey now, I said good.

I actually like Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg for that kind of game but it's at a different level of detail entirely.

The most viable expansion to me would be North Africa 1940-1942(or early 1943) with a focus on naval affairs as a point of improvement.
jnpoint

Post by jnpoint »

ORIGINAL: Qwixt

This post by Erik leads me to believe that anything outside of 43-45 west campaign would be a separate/new game, and not DLC:

fb.asp?m=3760002

I hope not. I really hope they will/can expand the campaign to begin as early as 1940 or maybe 39.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”