I give up...again

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

76mm

RE: I give up...again

Post by 76mm »

How did you manage to do this? That's a bug, for sure...

Believe me, it was very easy! I think I have an idea about what is going on, I will test today and write more later.

Bo, I live in Moscow Russia but am not Russian, but American.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

In the meantime, could someone please explain how to save Build Points? I have that option turned on (but not the oil rules), but don't see any way to actually save them. The manual also does not specify HOW to save them, just that you can save them...

[EDIT--Never mind, figured this one out... [8D]]
alexvand

Post by alexvand »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

In the meantime, could someone please explain how to save Build Points? I have that option turned on (but not the oil rules), but don't see any way to actually save them. The manual also does not specify HOW to save them, just that you can save them...

[EDIT--Never mind, figured this one out... [8D]]

During the production phase don't spend all your BPs. Then click on done and a new form will appear that will allow you to save them.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Sigh...I seem to be stuck now in a groundhog day situation--in the Japanese Naval Move Phase every time I move my naval units into a sea area with some British cruisers, an expected form does not appear, and I cannot advance the game. To fix this I've tried:
--restoring the game several times, but the same thing happens every time;
--changing the resolution on my second monitor to see if I can catch an edge of the missing form; and
--changing the position of my second monitor to see if the form might have popped up somewhere else.

Nothing worked. And hitting the F10 key does not bring up the missing form, but rather the US Entry Actions form. Surely there must be some command to bring forms to the top/center of my screen??

This is extremely frustrating...
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

There must be something wrong with the hardware you're using. Is it poised for using Russian as first language? It has been known that someone in the Balkans also had the computer set for cyrillic scripts, and that caused problems too. Is the windows size on normal (not large)?

Otherwise, I'm at a loss.
Peter
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

As an American in Russia the NSA might have secretly installed more spyware than usual, interfering with your ability to play wargames?

this is supposed to be a sort of funny remark, if this landed bad please accept my excuses. Your described problems I have not seen before and would have been enough for me to drop it for a while
76mm

Post by 76mm »

As an American in Russia the NSA might have secretly installed more spyware than usual, interfering with your ability to play wargames?

Very possibly, but perhaps not the NSA... [8D] But all of my other games work more or less normally.

First language on keyboard is English, although the OS is in Russian. This has not caused problems in any other game/program that I have.

I was able to continue the game by turning off the second screen and forcing everything onto one screen, so the "missing" form finally reappeared. Thus far not able to replicate some of the weirder issues--because of the various problems I've not had much opportunity to try today.
Zorachus99

Post by Zorachus99 »

I think you need to change the OS language to English. That will likely fix it. You can change the language depending on the version of your OS. Win 7 Ultimate offers them all. Some of the program had legacy assembly language when Steve inherited it, and is written in pascal I think (blech). So I could imagine stored 'char' characters and other things not working correctly.
Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln
bo

Post by bo »

Sigh...I seem to be stuck now in a groundhog day situation--in the Japanese Naval Move Phase every time I move my naval units into a sea area with some British cruisers, an expected form does not appear, and I cannot advance the game. To fix this I've tried:
--restoring the game several times, but the same thing happens every time;
--changing the resolution on my second monitor to see if I can catch an edge of the missing form; and
--changing the position of my second monitor to see if the form might have popped up somewhere else.

Nothing worked. And hitting the F10 key does not bring up the missing form, but rather the US Entry Actions form. Surely there must be some command to bring forms to the top/center of my screen??

This is extremely frustrating...

Hi 76mm from Russia [;)] I just tested the movement of Japanese naval vessels into the Bengal Sea where several Commonwealth cruisers were and this is the pop up screen that I received, if you do not see this screen you have a computer or game problem. I think you better reinstall or listen to some of the posters here about which language you should use, just trying to help Tom [:(]

Bo

Attachments
BengalSea.jpg
BengalSea.jpg (316.96 KiB) Viewed 151 times
76mm

Post by 76mm »

I've got Windows 7 Home--I'm really supposed to buy a new operating system to play this game? Gee, I didn't see that in the product specs when I bought it. And by the way, all of my dozens of other programs and games seem to cope with Russian windows just fine.

Great news that no one else is having these problems, but the game is close to unplayable for me, so if it turns out that I can't even run it with my OS I think I might have to ask for my money back.

And what about this F10 key issue? That function is pretty much necessary for this game--if F10 doesn't do it, what does?
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

I'm not a programmer. I don't know what a Russian Windows 7 will do. I do know that a guy in Belgrad was using a Serbian Windows version. After he put Windows to use the English language, the game ran...

That's all I know. So can you try this?
Peter
76mm

Post by 76mm »

No, I cannot change the OS base language--I have Windows 7 Home, not Ultimate. All settings which can be set to English were done long ago.

If Matrix's suggestion is that I buy a new OS so that I can run the game--although in fact we have no idea whether a new OS will even fix the problems--I would say that is more than a little unreasonable. Has Matrix revised the "Required Specs" page to make clear that only English-language Windows 7 works with the game??
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Post some saved games when you have theses issues, please. Just zip the save or the auto-save and upload it here as if it was a picture.
Paul
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Post some saved games when you have theses issues, please. Just zip the save or the auto-save and upload it here as if it was a picture.

Will do; the stacking issue I have only seen one time, but the white screen I've seen several times. I have a hunch what might be causing both but am having a hard time replicating it...
76mm

Post by 76mm »

I have to say that the last couple of days have been rather stable--I have not seen any of the weird issues I reported earlier, even after trying to replicate them based on my guess about the cause. FWIW, I thought that the problems were caused by having multiple overlapping Detail Maps (unintentionally), but I tried unsuccessfully to replicate.

The only problem I have encountered in the last few days is missing forms... This issue has been obvious since Day 1 and I'm surprised that there is apparently no function/hotkey to bring active forms front and center. Everytime this happens I spend 10-15 minutes getting around the problem--is this really necessary?

The other main problem is my complete incompetence in playing the navy-dominant powers such as Commonwealth and Japan. It's really sad...I will try to find some good AARs for some pointers. In my current game, much of the British fleet has been annihilated, Suez and Syria have fallen, and the Italians are marching towards Bagdad...

I'll be travelling for most of the next month so won't have much to add until mid-January when I'm back in the saddle.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

Missing forms? Are those combat forms? If they are, you can try pressing F10 and close the form which than appears. This forces combat forms to become visible. This is known to happen in air-to-air combat.

I don't know of any other form which isn't visible, except for the carrier planes landing form, of which a part might be behind the air-to-air form. Drag it out, and you can use it...
Peter
76mm

Post by 76mm »

I don't think I've had any problems with air-to-air combat forms (I don't have much air to air combat)--usually I have problems with naval forms, although probably 19 times out of 20 they appear fine, then suddenly they won't.

Pressing F10 only brings up the US Entry Options form, and has no effect on bringing other forms to the front.
bo

Post by bo »

I don't think I've had any problems with air-to-air combat forms (I don't have much air to air combat)--usually I have problems with naval forms, although probably 19 times out of 20 they appear fine, then suddenly they won't.

Pressing F10 only brings up the US Entry Options form, and has no effect on bringing other forms to the front.

Have a nice trip [:(]

Bo
willbowe

Post by willbowe »

That part makes sense, but if I'm reading that penalty correctly, you get penalized for having more naval arty support--no matter how poorly planned an invasion is, seems like having more arty would be a good thing (assuming you avoid friendly fire of course).

I can well understand your confusion, but what you need to understand - and which the rules should explain - is that when it says "+ the shore bombardment modifier for each invading unit", "shore bombardment modifier" is just a number, which in this case has nothing to do with shore bombardment. Note the word "modifier" - we are not referring here to your naval units' shore bombardment factors. The shore bombardment modifiers in any sea area are 0 for the 4 box, 0* for the 3 box, 1* for the 2 box, 2* in the 1 box, and "None" in the 0 box, where * equals +1 in rain or snow. These are the numbers used to penalise shore bombardment from low box numbers and in bad weather. They are used to the same effect for launching invasions, by being added to the factors of the notional unit you are attacking (though you may well think it would be more appropriate to penalise the attacker's combat factors). Handily for the game creators, the same set of numbers works well for both purposes.

So as you can see, your attacks from the one box, assuming them to be on in-supply units, were immediately running into a 3-factor defence, which would have been 1-factor if you had been going from the 3 box. And yes, this indeed causes you to privilege invasions closer to home.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: konevau
Note the word "modifier" - we are not referring here to your naval units' shore bombardment factors.

Doh! Thanks, that the part I was missing. Now alles klar.

Return to “World in Flames”