Computer help

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

goodwoodrw

Computer help

Post by goodwoodrw »

G'day My computer crashes regularly when playing Arma 3
My computer is around 3 years old with windows 7 Home premium 64 bit. 4 gig Ram and nvida 650 series graphic card.
The PC crashes playing Arma 3 and one other game also a steam game.
Never crashes playing Command Modern naval and Air or Panzer Corp or any of the other Matrixgames I have.
My system crashes to the a blue screen. I have recently used a PC cleaner and defrag my computer.. is this a good excuse to buy a new computer. [:D] Any ideas as I need this current one to last me to after Christmas, Started my purchase today with buying a new HDD.
Formerly Goodwood

zakblood

RE: Computer help

Post by zakblood »

when problems appear, tbh when was the last time you reinstalled it?

if it's more than a year ago, back it up and wipe it as that will fix all except hardware, but at least then you will know if you need a new part or new pc...
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

I have really added much to the computer recently other than re installing Arma 3. No new hardware and no new programs
Formerly Goodwood

zakblood

Post by zakblood »

then it maybe game related and needs a update or some hardware issue on your end then, try to update or check all your drivers are the latest, then check for patches for the game, good luck
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: BASB

I have really added much to the computer recently other than re installing Arma 3. No new hardware and no new programs

Graphic card updated drivers are very important along with the other updated drivers.

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
major.pain

Post by major.pain »

Have a look on your motherboards manufacturer website and check you have all the latest chipset drivers too.
The Arma series has always been rather demanding on systems also so i would check for any overheating issues, especially if your seeing the bluescreen after being in game for a while.
If you need to investigate further after trying some of the steps above make sure your machine is set to save any crash dumps(You will find this option on the start up and recovery tab of System from your Control Panel) and have a look through them in a program like Who Crashed(free), this will help you narrow down a culprit also.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Some virus protection programs mess with some games. Play offline and turn off your virus protection program and see if that works.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Hi BASB,

I have the same problem with a little bit stronger machine. Make sure you have all programs in the system tray not running especially anything that is running a virtual cd like Daemon tools.

I tried this program and it gave me some interesting information especially the 00124 Blue screen problem
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

also, go the event viewer from the admin tools section in control panel and check out the history of your crashes. Mine was happening during Battlefield 4 but since I deleted the daemon tools virtual cd from the tray no more blue screens and the next thing is to clean the inside of the computer. You can also download speedfan to see how things are working

http://www.safestdownloads.com/speedfan ... 20download

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqKwuM_7Ix4 be careful if you need to do this
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

Thanks for the help folks it appears my PSU is overheating, just bought a new one on Ebay
Formerly Goodwood

Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

BASB, blue screen of death usually involving with video card, it either damage or underpowered. Most mid and high end 3D games will use a lot of GPU and video cards in that areas will eat up a lot of PSU. Infact most pcs from the markets are underpowered, not sure where you from, but newegg have some nice PSUs. Make sure it is certified, otherwise it may not last long, here a link...

http://www.newegg.com/Power-Supplies/Category/ID-32

Good luck :)
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

Rising Sun Yep I think your right, the PSU was getting pretty hot before going down for the last time this afternoon. I have bought a new case with a 650 watt out put, looking at m/board CPU and Ram combo at the moment. I'm not looking for a super machine, I mostly play games like CMAO and Panzer Corps, not a lot power sucking in that lot[:D]
By the way I am from Australia and we have Newegg here as well.
Formerly Goodwood

decaro

Post by decaro »

There was a bogus Win 7 patch that MS recently distributed; could that be the issue?
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

G'day again folks. Got my new Case today connected it all up, but can't get system to work.
I hooked it the same way as the old case. motherboard indicator light on PSU, m/board and graphics card fans working but a blank screen, the bios doesn't fire up, is this m/board cpu or graphics card failure. Any educated guesses
Formerly Goodwood

Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Hate to say this, sound like something may have gotten fried. Is this PSU is same or better than the one you have? Some PSUs doesn't hook up the ways you think and there are different kind. There two possibility one is take it somewhere and have it check out so you can figure out what is wrong or you can get another pc or build one.

When you open the case, does it smell like something burnt?
major.pain

Post by major.pain »

Remove the battery on your motherboard for 30 seconds then re attach and try to boot, this will reset your motherboards BIOS and rule out any BIOS errors that may be stopping your machine from Posting.
Also to rule out an issue with your graphics card remove it and try to boot as mother boards have an onboard GPU.
If you have any spare RAM install that and try to boot to rule out a RAM issue.
You could also try and reinstall your old power supply and reboot you may have received a faulty new power supply.
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

Just to clarify, you connected the 2 power connectors (a big one and small one) to the motherboard, then you connected the CPU fan to the cpu fan power motherboard connector? These two power connectors will be special and for this purpose only. You might confuse the the smaller power connector for a GPU power connector. Generally speaking, GPU power connectors will be grouped together with other common ones, and the CPU power connectors might be separate from the others.

Do you know which motherboard and PSU you have?
t001001001

Post by t001001001 »

Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Flipping the battery, disconnect and reconnect the video card may help. Do you hear any beep when it trying to boot up?
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

G'day again all, replaced M/B battery no change, no blipping on startup.
if I remove the graphics card does the on board Graphics card get automatically recognized or is there a need to change a jumper?

Formerly Goodwood

major.pain

Post by major.pain »

If you have removed and replaced the battery on the Motherboard this will reset the Bios back to default and this will allow the onboard GPU to be automatically selected for use if you do not have another GPU attached.
The beeps hear on start up all mean different things as the machine is trying to Post and can point you in the direction of faulty parts.

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Other things to check for if you are not hearing any beeps at all during a boot are there any lights on on your board or case? do the fans spin ect? have you tried your original PSU again and do you get the same results as trying to boot with your new PSU???

Return to “General Discussion”