Two Air Directive Questions

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

msinnot1

Two Air Directive Questions

Post by msinnot1 »

Hello All,

I'm a new WITW player and am still trying to wrap my head around the Air Campaign game. I have not finished reading the manual so apologize if the following questions are covered but I just can't wait to finish the manual to know the answers[:)]

On to the questions:
1). Does the size of an air directive radius affect the intensity? In other words does a ground attack AD with a radius of two use the same number of planes as one of four hexes? If so, I would think that the smaller radius would generate greater results over a smaller area than a larger radius.

2). What rule of thumb should be used to determine how many air directives a given air HQ can support? For example in the Husky scenario, how do I judge if I've assigned too many individual ground attack missions or not enough to the Tactical air HQ?

I appreciate any clarity the forum members can provide. [&o]

Helpless

RE: Two Air Directive Questions

Post by Helpless »

1). Does the size of an air directive radius affect the intensity?

Yes, it does. The more targets you have in the area the more raids it will try to dispatch.
2). What rule of thumb should be used to determine how many air directives a given air HQ can support?

It really depends on the amount of planes and type of missions you are trying assign. There is a max limit which depends on leader's rating.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

The interface (Shift-D) should tell you how many air missions each Air HQ can support.

As for optimal number: I dunno! In my strategic bombing raids, I increasingly use all of those missions, because I'm tending to assign more missions with smaller radii. E.g., in my strategic bombing campaign, I'm trying to focus on three targets a turn, and I also want to recon those same three targets. But I don't always use all the missions in my tactical bombing. And in general I order fewer Air Directives when it's raining.
msinnot1

Post by msinnot1 »

ORIGINAL: Grotius

The interface (Shift-D) should tell you how many air missions each Air HQ can support.

As for optimal number: I dunno! In my strategic bombing raids, I increasingly use all of those missions, because I'm tending to assign more missions with smaller radii. E.g., in my strategic bombing campaign, I'm trying to focus on three targets a turn, and I also want to recon those same three targets. But I don't always use all the missions in my tactical bombing. And in general I order fewer Air Directives when it's raining.

Grotius, Thanks for the information. I did not know about the Shift-D function and will give that a try in my next game.

msinnot1

Post by msinnot1 »

ORIGINAL: Helpless

Yes, it does. The more targets you have in the area the more raids it will try to dispatch.

Helpless, Thanks for the feedback. One last question, if you don't mind... How do I tell how many targets are in the area of a raid? Do I just count how many counters/icons I see in the shaded radius? Yes, I know I should finish reading the manual but I can't stop playing the game long enough to read how to play the game [:D]
Nico165b165

Post by Nico165b165 »

ORIGINAL: MikeSinn

ORIGINAL: Helpless

Helpless, Thanks for the feedback. One last question, if you don't mind... How do I tell how many targets are in the area of a raid? Do I just count how many counters/icons I see in the shaded radius? Yes, I know I should finish reading the manual but I can't stop playing the game long enough to read how to play the game [:D]

Select a target and a radius, then go to the target priority button (just bottom of the target one) : you'll see some numbers of potential targets for each target type.
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Also, the number in parentheses after "area" gives you a rough count of relevant targets. I think. The manual says it counts "hexes", but I think it's counting something like targets. E.g., it says Area 2(54), meaning a radius of 2, with 54 things to hit. If it says Area 2(0), and there are obviously targets, I will sometimes refresh the Directive -- maybe delete it and start over.
Nico165b165

Post by Nico165b165 »

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Also, the number in parentheses after "area" gives you a rough count of relevant targets. I think. The manual says it counts "hexes", but I think it's counting something like targets. E.g., it says Area 2(54), meaning a radius of 2, with 54 things to hit. If it says Area 2(0), and there are obviously targets, I will sometimes refresh the Directive -- maybe delete it and start over.

Yes, delete and start over an AD is often necessary to get the correct numbers. By example, if you F10-transfer some planes affected to an AD to get them closer, the AD won't auto-refresh and still takes into account the number of possible planes from their previous location.
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

It is more precise during strategic bombing as you really know the amount of targets (factories). During tactical ground attack it counts "active" hexes.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
marion61

Post by marion61 »

I check this every turn to make sure I'm not hitting destroyed targets. It's my duty to see that the German construction units have something to do each turn.

Attachments
tgt3.jpg
tgt3.jpg (333.96 KiB) Viewed 58 times

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”