Support Units

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Devonport

Support Units

Post by Devonport »

I haven't seen too much about how players use support units (SUs). I understand that there is a general trade off between attaching SUs to divisions, for maximum impact, and to corps or armies for more flexibility about where they are deployed. Is this right? Also, which units do you attach to divisions? Finally, how important is it that higher level commands are close to the action for SUs to be deployed? Any help much appreciated.
Gorforlin

RE: Support Units

Post by Gorforlin »

ORIGINAL: Devonport

I haven't seen too much about how players use support units (SUs). I understand that there is a general trade off between attaching SUs to divisions, for maximum impact, and to corps or armies for more flexibility about where they are deployed. Is this right? Also, which units do you attach to divisions? Finally, how important is it that higher level commands are close to the action for SUs to be deployed? Any help much appreciated.

Generally people attach 3 units to the divisions. Engineers, tanks, infantry when attacking and AT, tanks, infantry and AA when defending.

Corp HQ's people attach artillery. Artillery over 150mm help allot towards dropping fort levels. Defending Corps need to have construction engineers to help keep fort levels up if they get dropped.

Also leaders are hugely important. A 200 combat value can bump up or down depending on leadership rolls.

The Corp HQ needs to be withen 5 hexes of the divisions.
Gorforlin

Post by Gorforlin »

ORIGINAL: Gorforlin

ORIGINAL: Devonport

Generally people attach 3 units to the divisions. Engineers, tanks, infantry when attacking and AT, tanks, infantry and AA when defending.

Corp HQ's people attach artillery. Artillery over 150mm help allot towards dropping fort levels. Defending Corps need to have construction engineers to help keep fort levels up if they get dropped.
SU's attached to HQ's get replacements much easyer then front line SU's, so leadership initiative ratings are hugely important.

Also leaders are hugely important. A 200 combat value can bump up or down depending on leadership rolls.

The Corp HQ needs to be withen 5 hexes of the divisions.
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

Don't forget the special rules for Commandos/Rangers attached to an Amphib TF - they'll detach and occupy any empty hexes next to an invasion hex and provide a bonus during the invasion assault.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Also, one of the eight "soft factors" displays which units lack support units. Units without SU's get a bright green soft factor, signalling that you should attach something to them. I check that filter every couple turns to make sure no division- or corps-sized unit lacks SUs. There are plenty to go around, at least for the Allies, so there seems no reason not to attach them.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”