Thoughts on 1.60 beta patch

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

kirk23

RE: Thoughts on 1.60 beta patch

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: operating

Kirk,
I don't know if you if you are putting additional tech icon window rows (or whatever you call them) or not, if you do, you better add on a lot of them. I like the waiting time numbers in the windows, however the windows are very congested to where countries entering later never get a tech viewing.

Thanks, Bob

Hi Kirk!

3 issues: One, Turk Research tech icons don't show, you need at least one more row for tech icons. Two, German Research tech icons for armor don't show either. Three, Game will not let CP refuse Serbia Surrender.

Don't know why?[&:] Turn 19 the AI ran at normal speed, no long wait.

Chao, Bob

Full scroll of all Countries research.

Attachments
CompleteC..olllist.jpg
CompleteC..olllist.jpg (300.35 KiB) Viewed 325 times
Make it so!
operating

Post by operating »

Kirk,

Thanks for getting the techs organized! I expect you put in enough dropdown scrolls to include Portugal, Greece, USA and possibly others down the road on the Entente side. I do see Romania and Italy in the SS, however, I do not see Italian armor, artillery, naval or air techs. [&:]

Bob
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Kirk,

Thanks for getting the techs organized! I expect you put in enough dropdown scrolls to include Portugal, Greece, USA and possibly others down the road on the Entente side. I do see Romania and Italy in the SS, however, I do not see Italian armor, artillery, naval or air techs. [&:]

Bob

The reason you can't see the info on Italy,is simple they are 3 Countries further back in the scrolling list.[:)]

UDATE : 1.6 PATCH should be releasing very soon.[:D]
Make it so!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: kirk23

Kirk,

Bob

warspite1

Let's hope I can actually play that version....
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
stockwellpete

Post by stockwellpete »

Hello Kirk,

I am very glad to see that you are still working on the game. I have been catching up on stuff over the last few days and I will definitely try out the new patch when it is released. The last time I tried the game I didn't enjoy it too much and I started this thread on the Slitherine forum outlining some of the issues that concerned me . . .

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 02&t=52358

It may be the case that some of the issues I raised have been dealt with (or decided against) because I have not been following developments that closely. Two things I would like you to reply to - firstly, I think the terrain/weather aspects of the map need to be a bit fiercer than they are. For example, the Italians should not be able to pour out over the Alps into southern Germany and towards Vienna. The terrain should be prohibitive here (no cavalry or artillery) and movement should not be possible at all in winter. Other areas to look at are the Caucasus and the Pripet Marshes. Secondly, the Russians can catch up the Germans in infantry unit development by November 1914 - I think that they should never be able to do this.

Also, I would love to get rid of the label "garrison unit". Can we call those units something else?

Thanks for all your hard work on what can still be a superb game, both in single and multi-player.
Rodwonder

Post by Rodwonder »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Kirk,

Bob

warspite1

Let's hope I can actually play that version....

+ 1
Rod T DeMore
stockwellpete

Post by stockwellpete »

If anyone can tell me how to re-load the game onto my PC today I would be very grateful. I don't want to put the beta patch on, just everything before that. Thanks.
operating

Post by operating »

I have given Germany the same Convoy PPs strength as British & French convoys,in an attempt to make the naval game much more interesting,all the major powers now have much more naval capability,so it is up to Britain mainly to attack the Convoy from Norway to Germany,Britain has more Dreadnoughts and Cruisers at her disposal,to accomplish this task for the duration of the war,if she fails to stop the German convoy's,then the fault lies with the Entente player,and to counter the Entente aggression,Germany only needs to build up her Submarine force,to inflict losses on the British naval strength.[;)]

Kirk,

Let me ask you this: Once the Blockade Event is posted, Does that "actually stop" CP Merchant ships from deploying in the South Atlantic and Norway? It's turn 24 in MP as CP, however since the initial CP convoys from those areas, no new ones have deployed. Have broken up English RN dominance of the English Channel, What does it take to get CP merchant ships to deploy again other than in the Baltic? or am I not being patient enough?

Thanks, Bob
operating

Post by operating »

The "Gallipoli Event" came as a total surprise to myself and my MP opponent. What it does is: Puts 3 English infantry transports on the coast of Turkey above Ismir, plus 2 new English fleets, one consists of a new pre-dreadnaught and a new armored cruiser supporting the soon to be landings (disembarkments). These new units do have an upkeep cost, a serious drain on England's PP. When the infantry disembark they cannot be upgraded upon doing so (next turn they can). This event occurs turn 23, at least in this case.

Attachments
ctgw_1418381792.jpg
ctgw_1418381792.jpg (246.25 KiB) Viewed 325 times
operating

Post by operating »

Kirk,

Before I try doing so: Can the Entente deploy warships in the Persian Gulf?

Thanks, Bob
operating

Post by operating »

Suprass,

Below are SP SS of Research for Germany (turn 6), AH (turn 6) and Russia (turn 5), neither had been focused to this point, so they would not have distorted tech bar graphs. thought you might like to draw a comparison between the three. Because of the odd way Russia enters on turn "0", maybe I should have presented a turn 6 SS instead. What I wanted to capture is the first SS of when Russia enters.

Bob

Attachments
ctgw_1418269218.jpg
ctgw_1418269218.jpg (355.37 KiB) Viewed 325 times
operating

Post by operating »

Now AH: Take NOTE that AH and Russia is very similar in research development (turn 6 for AH). The point I am trying to make is: If Russia has it's Research upped, then that more than likely would put AH at quite a disadvantage. Especially if Serbia's research is upped also....

Attachments
ctgw_1418532081.jpg
ctgw_1418532081.jpg (361.48 KiB) Viewed 325 times
operating

Post by operating »

Finally Germany

Attachments
ctgw_1418532072.jpg
ctgw_1418532072.jpg (358.76 KiB) Viewed 325 times
stockwellpete

Post by stockwellpete »

The other thing I have remembered is having variable lengths of winters with different start dates. Also the winters should be more severe the further eastwards you go, and also in mountainous areas.
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: stockwellpete

The other thing I have remembered is having variable lengths of winters with different start dates. Also the winters should be more severe the further eastwards you go, and also in mountainous areas.

stockwellpete,

Every 1914 scenario starts first turn on 23rd of July. Winter starts turn 13, December 10th, 1914 as a rule. Later years it may vary, especially if it is a leap year.

Bob

PS, 1916 was a leap year.
suprass81

Post by suprass81 »

Ottoman Empire can't save Constantinople from destroing it with russians sea bombsrdment. They can block onlly way in to Black Sea and you can't do nothing. Maybe removing port hex to Black Sea will fix this problem?
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: suprass81

Ottoman Empire can't save Constantinople from destroing it with russians sea bombsrdment. They can block onlly way in to Black Sea and you can't do nothing. Maybe removing port hex to Black Sea will fix this problem?
Have to admit it's a tough spot for the Turks, however there is an in game solution if a player plans for it, something the AI I doubt would do (AH subs to Black Sea).
operating

Post by operating »

Kirk,

Before I try doing so: Can the Entente deploy warships in the Persian Gulf?

Thanks, Bob
Thanks anyway: Found the answer to my above question----No Entente warships can deploy in the Persian Gulf----If an English sub will not deploy there, gathered nothing else will either, except for transports.

<EDIT>

English cruisers can deploy to the Persian Gulf, French I do not know..
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Have to admit it's a tough spot for the Turks, however there is an in game solution if a player plans for it, something the AI I doubt would do (AH subs to Black Sea).

Central Powers player,can stop Russian warships bombarding Constantinople,just place the Turkish Light cruiser,and the German Armoured cruiser into the green dot area next to Constantinople,the Russian surface fleet can no longer bombard Constantinople,because the Central Powers have a huge defensive advantage within their own GREEN DOT AREA!

Attachments
Central Po..ardment..jpg
Central Po..ardment..jpg (203.41 KiB) Viewed 325 times
Make it so!
operating

Post by operating »

Central Powers player,can stop Russian warships bombarding Constantinople,just place the Turkish Light cruiser,and the German Armoured cruiser into the green dot area next to Constantinople,the Russian surface fleet can no longer bombard Constantinople,because the Central Powers have a huge defensive advantage within their own GREEN DOT AREA!
The problem is: Russia enters before Turkey, a competent player moves Black Sea fleet to just outside Constantinople blocking seaway, before Turkey has a chance to move, however subs can get past the Russians "after" Turkey enters.

Return to “Commander - The Great War”