Extreme newbe question

The development team behind the award-winning games Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw To Paris and Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive year and theater of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue simulates the German drive to Stalingrad and into the Caucasus of the summer of 1942, as well as its May preludes (2nd Kharkov offensive, Operation Trappenjagd) and also the Soviet winter counter-offensive (Operation Uranus) that ended with the encirclement of 6th Army in Stalingrad and the destruction of the axis minor armies. With many improvements including the PBEM++ system, this is a release to watch for wargamers!

Moderator: Vic

proflui

Extreme newbe question

Post by proflui »

Hi all,
I am very new to wargame and I have a lot of questions after finishing the manual . Can someone help me out?
I will ask one question first. If I see help I will start to ask more.

My number one question. I am very confusing about the supply rule. For instance, in manual 4.2 it shows supply moves through Rail at 1AP per hex. I find it true during the tutorial and Zoronezh scanario. However, it is far from true during other campaign. For example, in the Case Blue short campaign, I click OKH then click supply layer button. Then I click a rail hex far away from OKH, it still says it cost only 1 or 2 AP. Actually the whole front is in full supply. Why is that? Am I missing something? Please help! Thanks.
Vic

RE: Extreme newbe question

Post by Vic »

Big towns act as logistical nodes and recude the number of AP needed.

Best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
proflui

Post by proflui »

Hi Vic,

Thanks for the quick reply!
Now second questions. In the manual 4.9 it mentions there is town, minor, medium, and major city. But in the game I only see three differences sizes (white dot, blue dot and red dot). Can you advise which is which? When I hold the mouse on top of the terrain pic it does not tell what size the town/city is. Please advise. Thanks.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

According to the Editor:

White dot = Towns
Yellow dot = Small City
Blue dot = Medium City
Red dot = Large City
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

sorry to hijack someone else thread, but what screen resolution does the game support and where are the option to change it?

i use 1920x1080 and seem to be missing some of the screen, not played it for a while now and never on windows 8.1 so a noob it seems as i've looked everywhere and think it may not support the size then[X(][:(]

Attachments
map.jpg
map.jpg (306.2 KiB) Viewed 207 times
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
proflui

Post by proflui »

Thanks for the quick reply. Maybe I miss the yellow dot.

Next question: What is the min AP in order a unit to engage into combat. I find out for some of my infantry unit it cannot engage combat when there is only 30AP left but for armor unit it can engage. Is it based on the terrain, or unit type. What is power point also. Please help. Thanks.
Vic

Post by Vic »

@proflui You can attack a hex with a unit if it has enough AP to move into the hex. So the cost is different for plains than for example: mountains.

@zak Its hard to see since you are using modded graphics. Could you post an unmodded screenshot? Basically the game plays in the resolution you have chosen for your desktop. It supports anything up from 1024x768.

best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

same is missing tbh so it seems it may not do mine or windows 8.1 fully in my res, but that's no problem as i can downsize it for now and add a shortcut so i dont have to do it each time so no worries, thanks for the reply
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
proflui

Post by proflui »

Thanks for the reply Vic.

I have already started playing the two short scenarios and they are all very fun. So far excellent game.
I have more questions though. This time is regarding movement AP.
To begin with, I do not quite understand how to read the terrain information. For instance, I do not know what is the second number after the / on the road column. I know the number before the / is the regular road movement rate but how about the second number? At first I am guessing it may be the movement rate during mud but it does not quite match to the number in the manual. So please confirm.
For the supply row, there are 3 numbers with two / and I do not know what is the middle and the right number mean.
As a related question, how can I know whether a turn is mud or not?

Thanks. Probably will have more questions when I play more. But so far so good. Thanks.
Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: proflui

Thanks for the reply Vic.

I have already started playing the two short scenarios and they are all very fun. So far excellent game.
I have more questions though. This time is regarding movement AP.
To begin with, I do not quite understand how to read the terrain information. For instance, I do not know what is the second number after the / on the road column. I know the number before the / is the regular road movement rate but how about the second number? At first I am guessing it may be the movement rate during mud but it does not quite match to the number in the manual. So please confirm.
For the supply row, there are 3 numbers with two / and I do not know what is the middle and the right number mean.
As a related question, how can I know whether a turn is mud or not?

Thanks. Probably will have more questions when I play more. But so far so good. Thanks.

Its all the possible movement cost values for different kind of 'roadtype'. First is rail, second is road. For supply there are 3 because german and soviet rail have different AP values. So for supply you should read it as: 1 ap for own rail, 3ap for enemy rail, 6ap for road. Not optimal. But as a quick heads up it works.

Same for the river. 4 values there because 4 kinds of river.

best
vic
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Any good tutorial videos of the game?

Thanks
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Any good video tutorials for the gamefor

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue”