THE THREAD!!!

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Apollo11

RE: THE THREAD!!!

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Dixie
ORIGINAL: Apollo11

I'm still in the RAF, only another 13 months left on my contract though so not for long! Still fixing them, I moved bases though so now I fix Spitfires, Hurricanes and a Lancaster bomber [8D]

Martin, firmly decided to leave RAF when this contract expires?

Hi Leo, I'm 99% certain I'm leaving (although you can never be entirely sure until it happens, hence the 1%) for various reasons. I wanted to get to BBMF when I joined the RAF and I've achieved that, there's not really anywhere that's available for me to go that makes me think "I want to do that". Now that we've got children I'm not willing to move my family around any more. My wife is settled at her work and has recently been promoted and she's close to her family which is important to her. Things are changing in the RAF (and the MoD as a whole), and not for the better IMO. I'm not willing to journey off to various far-flung corners of the world at the drop of a hat like I used to be.

In truth, I think I've just become jaded with the RAF (as the faceless entity that employs me rather than my actual work place). The military want (need?) me to be someone who I am not willing to be anymore. Things might change, but I don't expect it.

Thanks for info Martin - fingers crossed!

BTW, are there any big civilian airports near where you live (so that you can work maintenance of civilian aircraft if you choose so)?

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Now that we've got children I'm not willing to move my family around any more. My wife is settled at her work and has recently been promoted and she's close to her family which is important to her. Things are changing in the RAF (and the MoD as a whole), and not for the better IMO. I'm not willing to journey off to various far-flung corners of the world at the drop of a hat like I used to be.

In truth, I think I've just become jaded with the RAF (as the faceless entity that employs me rather than my actual work place). The military want (need?) me to be someone who I am not willing to be anymore. Things might change, but I don't expect it.

Dixie,

Although I'm not in the RAF, I feel very much the same way about academia here. I've had my fill of the internal politics, the 'job' in general and the requirement to be away from family for the job. We are making the move to Texas early in 2015 so that we can be with my wife's family down yonder.

I don't know if it's the right decision for the long run, but it 'feels' right. I hope that my career (whatever may come of that) will develop anew-I've some concerns there-but I know that my wife and children will be happier and better suited to life around their family.
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Andre, I believe you are making the right decision!

Martin, you almost exactly summed up my thoughts when I left the USN after 10 good years.
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: USS America

Andre, I believe you are making the right decision!

Martin, you almost exactly summed up my thoughts when I left the USN after 10 good years.
And here I've been all these years that it was cause you were bored with torturing poor helpless aircrew. [:D][:D][:D]
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Hi all,

Thanks for info Martin - fingers crossed!

BTW, are there any big civilian airports near where you live (so that you can work maintenance of civilian aircraft if you choose so)?

Leo "Apollo11"

There are a few airports, East Midlands is a big one near(ish) to me, about an hour and a half away. There's also Nottingham, Humberside and Doncaster which are smaller places. I'm actually seriously considering leaving aviation behind though, I'm looking at the railway industry instead. Fixing trains in a nice warm shed for similar money with less associated rubbish sounds good.
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

Good Afternoon, morning spent playing wack-a-mole with server issues...
Symon

Post by Symon »

If ya'll care. Always liked Greek and loved gyros. Cook with yogurt all the time and have made some righteous tatziki, but could never get the gyro recipe quite right. Got some fresh ground lamb from Moseleys Meats and just had to “get her done” !!

Sort of a fan of Alton Brown’s recipe, but I like the kick of cumin and cardomom. Otherwise, nice. Then I go with J.Kenji Lopez’s take http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/06/gree ... d-lab.html and …do exactly what he says, except I use more spices, but hey (cool and tight, is in the light). His website is utterly fantastic. Same old ingredients, but a whole new way of combining them; Grecian delight, indeed.

Simple. Interesting. Outside the usual box. Good food.
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

ORIGINAL: nashvillen

Sounds fun! My morning was spent taking parts out of a Spitfire that we put in yesterday after they failed the first test. [:@] My afternoon was spent away from work, everyone else went go-karting so I dropped in on a veteran who I found lives in the village near me. Loads better than working!
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

ORIGINAL: Symon

If ya'll care. Always liked Greek and loved gyros. Cook with yogurt all the time and have made some righteous tatziki, but could never get the gyro recipe quite right. Got some fresh ground lamb from Moseleys Meats and just had to “get her done” !!

Sort of a fan of Alton Brown’s recipe, but I like the kick of cumin and cardomom. Otherwise, nice. Then I go with J.Kenji Lopez’s take http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/06/gree ... d-lab.html and …do exactly what he says, except I use more spices, but hey (cool and tight, is in the light). His website is utterly fantastic. Same old ingredients, but a whole new way of combining them; Grecian delight, indeed.

Simple. Interesting. Outside the usual box. Good food.

Thanks, John! Forwarding this one on to my Lovely Bride, who is an artist in the kitchen! [8D]
Mike

USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Sounds fun! My morning was spent taking parts out of a Spitfire that we put in yesterday after they failed the first test. [:@] My afternoon was spent away from work, everyone else went go-karting so I dropped in on a veteran who I found lives in the village near me. Loads better than working!

Well done, Martin!
Mike

fodder

Post by fodder »

It's 3:44 am, nutten good about that. [&:]
Grollub

Post by Grollub »

Driveby tithe.

Hello friends.
“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Good Friday morning - Tithe. [&o][&o][&o]
Mike

USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Tomorrow is the Big Day!

What day is that, you ask?

It's the Army - Navy Game!!! [8D]

GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!
Mike

Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

Good morning all.
This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.
alaviner

Post by alaviner »

Drive thru Friday tithe.[&o][&o]

nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

Mike, having friends in both services. I will be watching the game and while I was in the army all of two weeks, my first love was the Navy, so, GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY from me, also!
gladiatt

Post by gladiatt »

ORIGINAL: gladiatt

ORIGINAL: USS America

It's good to see you, Eric! Best wishes for your family's health! [:)]

Thank you Mike [:)]
Eric, I am Mike, also (some say there are too many Mikes here, but most of us Mikes disagree). Welcome back, I am relatively new to the thread, but someone has to keep CB and NoDak in line.

Best wishes for your wife and you. I am a cancer survivor myself and my mother is just finishing up a year of chemo for her breast cancer, also. It is just as hard on the family as the patient at times.

Mike

Hi Mike.
Are you sure there is too much Mike on this forum ?[:D]
Thanks for your words, and happy to learn you did survive cancer [&o]
Hard times occurs les often now, but there were indeed very hard days.

Regards
gladiatt

Post by gladiatt »

Best wishes!

Also very glad to see you here again...

Leo "Apollo11"

Hey Leo. Nice to see you [:)]
gladiatt

Post by gladiatt »