Birmingham Strikes, 1992 -- new beta for testing

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Mgellis

Birmingham Strikes, 1992 -- new beta for testing

Post by Mgellis »

My newest beta...British forces take on RUF rebels in West Africa. They may be a tougher nut to crack than one might think, though...

You have a destroyer with SAMs and some nice big honkin' naval guns and some Tornadoes at an airport in Sierra Leone. The rebels have...well...you'll have to find out, won't you?

As always, please let me know what you think of the scenario, how it might be improved, if little details like the phrasing in the orders are all right, etc. All feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

[version 4 uploaded 12:25 AM EST 1/1/15...a few more tweaks...let me know how it works.]

Attachments
Birmingham..es, 1992.zip
(42.19 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Coiler12

RE: Birmingham Strikes, 1992 -- new beta for testing

Post by Coiler12 »

Ok. Finished the initial version, and here's how it goes.
-Lost three aircraft to the defenses.
-Got in a duel with the shore defenses. By the end of it, both the missiles and guns on the destroyer were out of ammunition, and I withdrew while on fire. Thankfully, the crew controlled the fire and the ship stayed afloat.

I had some problems.
-At least one of the fighters should have a TIALD pod if you're interested in making the scenario easier. Would make IDing the enemy easier, and smart bombs work better than dumping unguided ones into a city for low-intensity operations.
-In background terms, there's no way you're keeping this much military hardware-missile trailers and Shilkas-a secret.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Okay...I'll do a little tweaking.

Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

New version posted. Please let me know what you think. Aircraft now being loaded with guided bombs, but iron bombs available in the event that weather makes it impossible to fire them...it's cloudy today! :) (You can do it...but you have to manually drop to 10,000 feet...2,000 is too low apparently and 12,000 is too high because you're in the clouds and it blocks the laser used to target the bomb.) The rebels have less firepower now, too, but they're still capable of being completely lethal if you're careless...they have AA guns and manpads.

The anti-ship missiles were a gift from Libya. They're so thoughtful! :) (I will add a note about this in the orders file, though...forgot to the do that this time.)

Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Version 3 uploaded...I think this one fixes the problems with the earlier versions. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

MR_BURNS2

Post by MR_BURNS2 »

Interesting, i played nature on my first attempt, blundered in my next 2 attempts by not being careful enough and sending my aircraft in too low or my ship in mortar range off-shore.
In my last attempt i already knew what was going to happen and had no casualties.

Clouds are no problem at all because one TIALD equipped aircraft can drop below cloud and buddy-lase.

I wonder if a RFA on a detachment like this would carry spare shells for the 4.5 inch, they probably would, but then the job can be done without.

Since boats can't hide on shore in CMANO it might be better to teleport them in when Birmingham comes closer to shore, otherwise they may be spotted too early.

One last idea, though it might be too fancy in the context of the story. What if Lybia also supplied a couple of rocket equipped MI-8, and these decide to have a go at Birmingham when she comes to close to shore, in a simultaneous attack with a swarm of small boats. The problem is that it is hard to keep them down low in the weeds, post 1.06 a mission with altitude override might help, but i did have some success trying this tactic in the editor.
If you decide to do this you could also add a few civilian/UN helos to keep the player from shooting everything that moves.

Windows 7 64; Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz; 6144MB RAM; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970;

Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

ORIGINAL: MR_BURNS2

Interesting, i played nature on my first attempt...

Since boats can't hide on shore in CMANO it might be better to teleport them in when Birmingham comes closer to shore, otherwise they may be spotted too early.

Nature "bug" fixed and teleport action incorporated. Thanks.

(I wonder if I should include Nature as a playable side in some scenarios. I suspect it would be rather dull, though, although I could include actions like Message: Our plan is working! The humans are killing each other again!) :)

MR_BURNS2

Post by MR_BURNS2 »

ORIGINAL: Mgellis

ORIGINAL: MR_BURNS2

Interesting, i played nature on my first attempt...

(I wonder if I should include Nature as a playable side in some scenarios. I suspect it would be rather dull, though, although I could include actions like Message: Our plan is working! The humans are killing each other again!) :)

Enter: The white whale!
Windows 7 64; Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz; 6144MB RAM; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970;

mikkey

Post by mikkey »

Interesting scenario, thanks Mark. Only a small note, between available playing sides is also Nature.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

ORIGINAL: mikkey

Interesting scenario, thanks Mark. Only a small note, between available playing sides is also Nature.

That was fixed. Since it was really the only change I made, aside from adding the teleport action, which I tested so I know it works, I didn't bother posting that version. Sorry for any confusion. The updated one will be the one submitted to the Community Scenario Pack if no other changes are needed.

Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Any other suggestions or observations? Or is this one ready for the Community Scenario Pack? Thanks!

Flankerk

Post by Flankerk »

I reckon ready, managed a fail as Birmingham didn't shrug off a fire. Quite tricky with the cloud cover and locating sites below it without losing aircraft. Nicely balanced.

"Alas poor Yorick,I knew him Horatio"

#1 Quote of the Harpoon Community.
AlexGGGG

Post by AlexGGGG »

I'd say good, although I went with dumb bombs.
gbethel

Post by gbethel »

The first time I played through the oiler got hit with a styx and nearly sank. On subsequent play-through the scenario is rather easy. The RHIB's should be on their own side but allied to RUF, the UK posture towards them should be neutral till fired upon. Otherwise they never get close enough to do any harm.

Downloaded this morning and Nature was still a playable side.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Revised version with various tweaks and corrections. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Happy New Year!

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”