ETO redone

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

LJBurstyn

ETO redone

Post by LJBurstyn »

I have written a major redo of the ETO.

Taking the current game I dropped the neutrality angle and instituted a Leaning system. Also included coups, diplomatic actions, sowing discord, and some other stuff.
Declarations of war and capital losses change the leaning of the "neutral" nations toward the players.
Also changed the war footing so that a nation cannot change the war footing of a people that are not allied with them (except cash and carry between the neutral USA and GB).
And each people have their OWN war footing that has to be raised individually. Changed the cost to reflect the production capability of the people that you wish to increase the war footing.
And some other stuff that I will reveal to those who decide to help.

I am looking for someone to help me test the game...to help me make some adjustments.

You can reach me by my email address larryburstyn@commspeed.net at least until the new ISP company that "merged" with commspeed changes it.

I have attempted to reach Chris Engel to see if he would object to me modifying his game but have been unable to contact him.

<edit>Questions can also be sent to my email address.</edit>
GrumpyMel

RE: ETO redone

Post by GrumpyMel »

LJBurstyn,

I'm not sure why you are having trouble getting through to me but you can always e-mail me at sd.grumpymel@gmail.com if the PM's here don't work. I'm totaly cool with you modifying the scenario. Actualy pretty excited, as it is somewhat dated at this point.... and some of the stuff you are doing sounds really cool. Looking forward to see how it turns out, let me know if you need info on anything.
LJBurstyn

Post by LJBurstyn »

Progress report on ETO REDO

Currently working on Manpower Factors: Finished normal free join, starting on joining caused by Declarations of War:

Some Thoughts as to why this redo.

MANPOWER FACTORS:
Why does Russia, Allies, and Axis all get a set amount of manpower factors per turn no matter how much of their regime is controlled by an enemy. Or who joins or does not join their side during the war. This does not make sense....So I've decided to change it.

Got the population from the various nations...estimated that in time of total war about 10% of the nations population would be able to join the military of that nation. Next came the calculation of manpower factors...Accounting for each person is cumbersome and not worth the effort so a single manpower factor is 200 persons. About 10% of the groups that join the military are naturally better fighters than the rest so made 10% of all manpower factors Elite. Less than 1% of those that join are capable of becoming pilots so made that the percentage that become pilots. It appears that not everyone was needed to join the "regular" military so about 30% of the manpower factors are considered Regular. The part that isn't covered by the above types of factors are Conscripts. However, make no mistake Conscripts are not incompetent. Some become drivers of trucks and trains, some become mechanics, laborers, fortification maintenance, ground crews for aircraft, etc.,

A group of people join a side by having war declared upon them, or just favor one side enough to join that side, or even a political action (called a coup in the game) that makes the people want to join a side. When they join a side their manpower factors are ADDED to that's side available manpower factors. Manpower factors are added each turn due to population increases. But the amount added depends upon how many cities are controlled by a side..if 100% of the cities are controlled by one side it gets ALL the manpower factors that are produced per turn...If some cities are controlled by the enemy the enemy gets the manpower factors available in proportion to the distribution of population. IF the side that controls the cities is NOT the favored side of those people it gets a SMALL percentage added to it's available manpower factors. If the side that controls a city is the most favored side of those people it gets ALL of it's proportion of the manpower factors produced.

The capital of the people is considered to hold all the already allocated manpower factors..so it's loss will be reflected in the loss of manpower factors. The numbers lost will be equal to that nations total population compared to the sides total population prior to the loss. This represents those who lose faith and simply go home before they are forced to join a unit...and some in the units that desert.

Each player will get the ability to add some manpower factors at the cost of conscript manpower factors (and a "small" political point cost)...These cards will be allocated at the start of each turn. You will be able to "convert" Conscripts into Elite, Regular or Pilot Manpower factors. This conversion represents additional training needed to turn conscripts into Elite, Regular or Pilot Manpower factors. The number converted will be random within certain limits but the cost will be the same each time the card is used...overuse will be less rewarding in units actually converted.

The Germans will get a SPECIAL card that will allow them to double the number of German Manpower Factors available (not their allies). They can do this once under certain conditions and the side result is that they will no longer get increases in manpower due to population increases each turn.

And example of increase in manpower factors per turn:
Germany starts the game with 116,000 German production points....
If during the turn in question they control the original 116,000 production points they get all the manpower factors generated that turn by population increases.
If they controlled 100,000 and the Allies controlled 16,000 of the original production cities, The Germans get 100,000/116000 of the manpower factors produced and the Allies get a fraction of the 16,000/116000 of the manpower factors produced.

(BEGIN EDIT) NOTE: Programming is going slowly because of the small size of fonts in the editor and the problems that causes with my eyes. (END EDIT)
Josh

Post by Josh »

Glad to hear you're still working on it.

"... Programming is going slowly because of the small size of fonts in the editor and the problems that causes with my eyes..."

So uh wouldn't it be possible to change the resolution of your screen, so the fonts get bigger?
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

This sounds really cool! Is this going to be playable versus the AI?
LJBurstyn

Post by LJBurstyn »

I am working on the Manpower which is a really complex situation. I have finished but not tested free activation and DoW activation.. I have designed and am currently programming training cards to increase pilot, elite, regular manpower factors from conscript factors. I have made the cost reasonable but the results are as follows...the first 15 times you use the pilot training card you get 15-25 pilot factors...the next 15 you get one less, the next 15 you get 4 less, the next 9 less...and so on until you get NONE. The elite regular will be similar but not the numbers you get. That I haven't determined. I have designed but not programmed the effect of losing capital cities...the loss of a capital decreases both readiness and morale of that people's units...they also lose a proportion of the manpower factors they have contributed to the losing side...the loss of manpower factors is permanent and cannot be recovered by recapturing the capital. Morale and readiness recover normally which does not depend on recapturing the capital.

If there is a way to make the font larger in the editor I have not determined how to do it...using Microsoft magnifier does not work well. The other ways I've tried have made the dots larger but don't make the font any more readable.

Can someone point out a tutorial on how to make landscape types...I want multiple weather but cannot figure out how to make different level of mud hexes or snowstorm hexes.

EDIT AGAIN: I changed it to 20 times instead of 15...but it still is squared the number of times used divided by 20 not 15.
LJBurstyn

Post by LJBurstyn »

I took another look at pilots trained using the card and decided it was too many so...I increased the cost to train pilots (pilots cost more than the planes they fly)...and decreased the times you could use the card considerably. It still generates 15-25 pilots but now it costs 50 Political Points. And now you only get 4 free uses....1-4 no deduction, 5-9 deduct 1, 10-14 deduct 4, 15-19 deduct 9, 20-24 deduct 16, 25-29 deduct 25, etc.,.

You cannot create more pilots than you have conscripts available to train and you can never train negative number of pilots.

When I program the elite/regular training card it will cost the same but produce more elite/regular than 15-25 but not sure how much more nor am I sure how often it can be used to create elite/regular before being penalized.
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

are there any screenshots of the reworked scenario we may take a look at, thanks
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

I would think training up would simply take a longer time before the highly trained units would be available. Then the player can choose the balance between fast and cheap or slow and good. It's like that old joke, 'You can have it 1. Good, 2. Fast or 3. Cheap, [pick any two]."

Also, it makes sense to me that every time cycle, (say 1/4 annual or whatever) that a batch of new recruits will have some normal distribution of skill and motivation. You would take the one end for the pilots and elites and then the low end for the bullett catchers and supply mules. Just a thought.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
GrumpyMel

Post by GrumpyMel »

For new landscape types, probably the easiest way to start is

1) Make a copy of the existing ones.... assign it a new name, graphics, etc. in the LT section of the editor.

2) Then you want to go into the movement type section and edit the movement points for that landscape for each type of movement in the scenario (i.e. foot, wheeled, tracked, etc).

3) Then you want to go into each SFT in the game and adjust the combat modifier for fighting in that type of terrain.

4) Then you can use event code to switch the landscape types back and forth based upon how your weather system works...

Working from memory, I believe that is the basics. It is not particularly complicated but there can be ALOT of busy work involved. Don't forget that you need to change the type of landscape the hex deconstructs into if there is a fortification on the hex that gets destroyed (that is a bug I have in the existing version of ETO).

The part that I generally do very poorly is the graphics. I'm lousy at doing graphics so the new landscapes always end up looking sloppy. You may be able to use some of the ones for mud that already exist in ATG (not sure exactly what folder they are in) or see if one of the guys who is good at doing graphics will let you borrow a set from an existing mod/scenario of theirs. That can cut down on some of the work.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”