Luftflotte Reich and Strategic Bombing question

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

tiger111

Luftflotte Reich and Strategic Bombing question

Post by tiger111 »

My question is this.

How should I handle LF Reich so that it defends against day and night strategic bombing regarding Auto Air directives and Doctrine settings.?

I`m trying to get the air command to behave as it did in "Bombing the Reich" and would like some recomendations regarding basic settings (not manual Air Directives).

Also some do`s and don`ts kind of tips would also be welcome.

Thankyou.
Peltonx

RE: Luftflotte Reich and Strategic Bombing question

Post by Peltonx »

As allied or Germany?
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

There can be many ways to arrange your air force.

Several thing to remember.

- Automatic intercepts follow some of Air Superiority doctrine settings. So you should check mission pct setting in order to set how aggressively you would like it to intercept.
- Try to place you fighters closer to the key areas you would like to defend (Berlin, Ruhr area, Ploesti, etc). Better detection will provide you with interception bonuses.
- Don't set you single engine day time fighter to the NIGHT or BOTH settings. They are pretty much useless at night.
- Check is you don't have too many Air HQs set to fly automatic naval patrols. In some cases you don't need any if you don't expect any amphib landing to happen.
- Check if you min weather setting is not set to fly during very bad weather. It can be worth sometimes, but may cause huge ops losses which Germans can't afford.
- Try to handle all pilot replacement manually. CR allows to replace them with several clicks to the desired air groups (fighters not bombers should have some).

There could be more suggestions and strategies I think. Coming patch will make intercepts more aggressive and more responsive. We also plan to add more detailed EW elements in the future. It should add another layer.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
tiger111

Post by tiger111 »

Tips as German player please
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

You cannot set any Auto ADs for Luftflotte Reich. Look at One Page Guide #9.

Don't use fighters without radar at night. Position your air groups near cities and on likely approach routes.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
tiger111

Post by tiger111 »

Thanks Red Lancer- but where are the one page guides.??

So what should I do then?? Will the Germans automatically intercept if in LF Reich>
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

They are in the Player's Handbook. Defensive intercept is automatic - just take care to put air units in the right place.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”