New to this

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Phoenix100

New to this

Post by Phoenix100 »

Hello all in here!! I just bought this game having considered whether to for a very long time. It looks intriguing, like you could spend a LOT of time learning it. So far all I've learned - which, for some reason surprised me, is that the map doesn't zoom.....I'm on the latest official update.

There are 2 questions I have as an idiot, and I wonder if anyone could help?

1. There appear to be some superb map mods by chemkid - much better than the stock map. I like the look of his map without hexes (I hate hexes), and I think I've managed to load it up (the topo map - it looks gorgeous), but I'm unsure whether I need to put any switches into the shortcut target line in order to properly run his map? Change Preferences to 'no hexes', but do I need switches too? Anyone know?

2. The whole confusing switches thing. I've managed to change it to full screen, my resolution and the font is now very small. The map is laggy too. I have windows 7 on this machine, a 3.2 i5 (4 cores, 2 of which are physical), an Nvidia 1GB card. Can anyone recommend a series of switches I should put in to get the best out of it?

Many thanks in advance.

Peter

Oh. I forgot - what is the tracker mod?

UPDATE: I think I've figured out the answer to those questions now and got everything working well enough.

Still unsure about the tracker mod though.
Bullwinkle58

RE: New to this

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Look at the first stickied topic in the middle section of the top-line forum page.
The Moose
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

The topo map is incredible, chemkid. Many, many thanks for doing it. What is the extended version, though? Do I need it/ (want it)?
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: phoenix

The topo map is incredible, chemkid. Many, many thanks for doing it. What is the extended version, though? Do I need it/ (want it)?

Some mods require it. Stick to the basic stock scenarios until you get the hang of the game.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Cheers Chris. The task seems huge. (Getting to know the game.)
btd64

Post by btd64 »

For the lagging issue I use -SingleCpuOrders . Remember to capitalize the letters indicated. Try the -altFont switch for the font thing. I have old tired eyes and it helps. Has some overlap of wording but I can live with that....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Welcome to the forum. I suggest you spend a few weeks playing the AI to learn the system and then come to the forum and find another newish player and start into a scenario. Playing a human takes it to a whole other level and you will make some good friends along the way. By all means read some of the longer going After action reports. That is the best way to pick up tips and tricks. Don't be afraid to ask questions here.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

2. The whole confusing switches thing. I've managed to change it to full screen, my resolution and the font is now very small. The map is laggy too. I have windows 7 on this machine, a 3.2 i5 (4 cores, 2 of which are physical), an Nvidia 1GB card. Can anyone recommend a series of switches I should put in to get the best out of it?

Does this game run well on modern PCs and win 7? I've been reading a few posts and it seems like people need to play with a bunch of switches to get it to run correctly.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

There is plenty of help here getting the switches set right. It runs fine with the switches on any modern version of Windows.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

I use Win7 on an Alienware laptop (about 4 years old) just loaded and played.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I would expect the game will probably run faster with some of the switches. Most computers with multiple processors run slow without the switches.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

I bought it tonight. I found that the smaller scenarios have issues scrolling when the screen size exceeds scenario size in width. So I backed down the screen size to correct that till I won't be playing the smaller scenarios.

-fd -pxf1440 -pyf900 -cpu3 -multiaudio -skipVideo -deepColor -altFont
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

There is plenty of help here getting the switches set right. It runs fine with the switches on any modern version of Windows.

Bill

Further to what Bill said, most of the relevant threads are found in the tech sub forum.

Alfred
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

I just spent a couple of hours setting the game up. Got the Topo map mod and jsgme installer.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Mine works great now. BUT. I'm finding the lack of a basic training scenario tough. The manual makes many references to looking at a mysterious document which allows you to jump right in - a beginner guide of some sort. But it's not there. Not in the folders, not in the shortcuts. All I would like is something similar to the short intro material that WitE has, for example. The training vids are great, but they are all about individual aspects. I want it all put together so I can know what to do. I don't actually have a clue what to do. I open up a scenario and there's a huge expanse of ocean and littoral, hundreds of units, bases, etc, and I HAVENT A CLUE WHAT I SHOULD ACTUALLY DO!!!!........Can anyone point to somewhere that will walk me through how to play a simple scenario? Or does it just not exist?
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Have you looked here at Video tutorials?

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
reggimann

Post by reggimann »

I HAVENT A CLUE WHAT I SHOULD ACTUALLY DO!!!!........Can anyone point to somewhere that will walk me through how to play a simple scenario? Or does it just not exist?

Try this: tm.asp?m=2564541

It's a starter AAR for the main scenario, but it gives great step-by-step pointers on what to do and how to approach the game. It doesn't go into detail on the machanics, but you can figure these out one at a time using the manuals or the tutorials Roger mentioned. The strength of the AAR lies in its approach to complexitiy: Look at the map. What's the strategic situation. How do we go about achieving something. Let's form the most important TFs. Let's look at logistics. Now let's move some LCUs. And so on.

I found it most useful in my studies.
WitP-AE - WitE - WitW
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Ah!! Many thanks CptEggman. That AAR looks like it could be just the thing. Thanks.
robinsa

Post by robinsa »

I used to be a min maxer but I learned to think of this game as a simulation and not a game which makes it a lot more enjoyable. You have to accept that random chance is going to work against you from time to time. Maybe you forget to move a unit you would have liked to move a turn or something else.. Don't get frustrated and see it as part of the simulation. In war things don't go as planned and I usually imagine myself giving the order but that something happend along the way. Maybe somebody messed up somewhere in the command chain or maybe their radio equipment was faulty? Maybe the transport that was supposed to take them from to seas engine broke down and just would sart! Anyway the point Im trying to make is that the in the War things didn't go as planned so if they dont in your game either it is just part of the simulation.

Edit. Also what Im trying to say is that everything does not have to happen on day 1 when youre playing against the AI. Some units would have had longer response time than others etc. Have fun!

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”