Any RC aircraft fans out there?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Rising-Sun

Any RC aircraft fans out there?

Post by Rising-Sun »

I haven't done anything like this in a long time. Cant remember what scale the RC aircraft I had, but this is very interesting of F-16...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ9dSrrBN28#t=215

He is lucky that aircraft didn't skid over and tear apart during landing.
rhondabrwn

RE: Any RC aircraft fans out there?

Post by rhondabrwn »

That engine sounded like a real jet. Could you imagine someone buzzing the White House with something like this at around 250 feet altitude and totally freaking out the Secret Service? I could see them digging out the "stinger" missiles and shooting it down. [:D]

That is almost too big and too realistic. If I had seen those flight sequences out of context I would have sworn it was the real thing (except for the fact that the landing gear did not retract, which seems a strange omission for such a large, detailed model).

In answer to your question, I built and flew U-Control planes in my teen years. Hated messing with the engines, but had a guy friend who couldn't fly anything without crashing it. He loved the gas engines though and had the tough fingers to start them for me :)

Always dreamed of flying an RC model, but they were wildly expensive. Now I can get my "RC Kick" by flying computer planes in "Zoom mode" (if you continue to make control inputs I've found that you can keep flying your plane without it cycling the view for another "zoom pass". You can do the same thing in MS Flight Simulator by using "Tower View".

I have been tempted by the new battery powered RC planes that you can buy as a "ready to fly" model for as little as $79. Turn it on and fly, no engines to mess with. Batteries only last for about a 5 minute flight though.

Check these "ready to fly" sets

http://www.atlantahobby.com/Store/pc/Ev ... x-c242.htm

I've got my eye on a Mosquito which out local hobby shop has in stock. Pricey though as you have to buy the RC controller separately.

http://www.atlantahobby.com/Store/pc/Mo ... p18086.htm

They also have B-25 and B-17 models!

Check out this video of the B-17

http://www.atlantahobby.com/Store/pc/UM ... p18922.htm

Cool stuff... that one could only dream about a few decades back.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Well here in USA, you will need a permit to own those or at least operate them in the fields. Have something to do with bandwidth of radio control. I was told to make one of them would cost between 3k to 6k, some say up to 10k. They can be fun to mess around with, just too risky of one run out of battery or fuels then crashed.

I believe it can be done cheaper, if they find the right or custom made propulsion devices. Most of us already seen some new flying objects like an hover crafts or helicopters. Drones, filming, etcs.

Tricky parts manning those aircraft isn't easy unless you have a camera in it.

I like the Mosquito you picked out, I though about getting a giant wasp and fly it over a lake to scare the hell outta the fishing men lol. Here a video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4crGip2q60
shaddock

Post by shaddock »

Hey Risingsun, as an fyi, I noticed r/c aircraft flying over a field on my way to Clifton Park from Mechanicville on 146. Looking at Google Maps, there appears to be a short grass runway with a couple of buildings, set back from the corner of Pruyn Hill Road and Farm to Market Road. I don't know if it's private or open to the public.
save the carrots; eat a vegan!
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Dunno about that place, I am new in Clifton Park. Just moved up from downstate few years back. Might have to ask around on that, I do remember driving by there one time. You might need to drive over there and check it out, if you don't see any livestock or fences around it, then check in with local community where you get your fishing license or police department.
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

Some of the models I have looked at have small video cameras... not for flying... just to record the flight.

I've got 40 acres and open range around me so plenty of room to fly if I ever pull the trigger and buy one of these.

These models that I linked to are so light (foam actually) that if the battery runs out or an engine fails they will just glide to a gentle landing. It's not like the conventional R/C craft with large gas powered engines and heavy construction that can be totally destroyed by a crash. A former brother in law was really in to this and I went out to the flying field with him one day. Something happened to his control and his six foot wingspan plane nose dived straight into the ground about half a mile away. We salvaged the engine and hardware, the rest of the plane was in toothpicks, literally, nothing left to even try and repair.

Saw a B-36 RC plane with a 27 foot wing span at a model airshow back in Kokomo Indiana when I was a teen (1965?), but they didn't actually fly it. Pretty impressive model though. Six engine plus four turbojets. Would have loved to see it fly. Later, when I was in the army, I met a CW2 chopper pilot who I hung out with occasionally. He was quite a modeler... had hundreds of kits back home... and he was going wild buying Japanese kits at reduced prices (including the kit for that big B-36). One night he got a bit drunk and confessed to me that he had never actually ever completed a single plane... he'd buy them, start on them, lose interest and move on to the next new kit. Sounds like a wargame collector doesn't it? [;)]

He was a total dork though. One day he decided to see how high he could get in his Huey (UH-H model) and nearly froze his gunner and crew chief with the stunt. Those guys were so pissed off at him [:D] He never got sent on any dangerous missions because the other pilots really didn't trust him (and they were probably right).

Just thought I'd share a memory.
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Sound like he is bipolar or thyroid inactive? Probably on meds, I been having problems too sticking with the map I started back in May and haven't worked on it for a week. Now I found a game I like to play, but lack of realism and details, so I am trying to polish it and play it someday soon. So that leave me with thyroid problems myself and taken med for it. It seem to help, but you will still have problems time to time, that affect on moods, etcs.

I agreed having thick foam will help from getting torn into pieces. As long it doesn't dive vertical straight down with so much force. I though about when I get some money saved up, make a custom made rocket and see if I can get it up close space with a camera in it. Imagine having that moment that you actually flying and finally reach outer ring of planet to see space with all those stars and effects. Probably best time to do this is when the sun goes down. Even though about when I die, once to be cremated would like my ashes scatter in space if possible, never know where it lurk and able to explore out there.
Misty99

Post by Misty99 »

AbwehrX

Post by AbwehrX »

Ausgezeichnet! Vielen Dank.

TURBINE POWERED ME 163 Komet flys at NAMFI 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQKkImOdPaw
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

That's nice. Would like to see more if you guys have more pictures to share or videos.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

Here's some shots I took at the Wings Over Houston Air Show last month. They had an RC aircraft demo - though I got there too late to get any shots of that.

Attachments
Radiomodels1.jpg
Radiomodels1.jpg (700.62 KiB) Viewed 352 times
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

Another shot. Some of these planes look large enough to carry out a combat mission.

Attachments
Radiomodels2.jpg
Radiomodels2.jpg (722.26 KiB) Viewed 352 times
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

One more.

Attachments
Radiomodels3.jpg
Radiomodels3.jpg (631.22 KiB) Viewed 352 times
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Wow those are nice, wish I was there, they ever had a air show or just sitting there?
Mobeer

Post by Mobeer »

Only RC planes I have seen at an airshow are the Red Arrows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALc83kv0qI4
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

I designed, built and flew RC gliders back in college. I'd take them over to the glider port on Torrey Pines rd. and crash them into the bluffs. Was fun.

Don't mess with them any longer.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

I seen some RC planes burned up and crashed on videos, there a lot of interesting videos on youtube.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Here an interesting video of B-25 and a pair of Me-109s air show...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGC6MIY ... 1a1140c96e

Here is SR-71, they landed that Blackbird well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lYGUROZ_Pg
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

Did that Blackbird have actual afterburners? Or is that normal exhaust appearance for a turbojet?
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

Mobeer

Post by Mobeer »

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

Did that Blackbird have actual afterburners? Or is that normal exhaust appearance for a turbojet?

LED lights in the engines.

Return to “General Discussion”