Attaching Rangers/Commandos to Amphib HQs

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

dereck

Attaching Rangers/Commandos to Amphib HQs

Post by dereck »

I don't know if I did something wrong.

I'm prepping the TF 545(c) Amphib HQ to transport the US 34th Infantry Division.

I want to attach the 6615 US Ranger Force Rgt to the Amphib HQ. I've attached it but it is still a physical unit on the map and not "off the map" like some British commando units are in another Amphib HQ.

Did I do something wrong and how do I rectify it?
PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)
RedLancer

RE: Attaching Rangers/Commandos to Amphib HQs

Post by RedLancer »

No - It's because it's a multirole unit - stack it with the HQ and in the Unit Detail Screen click CONVERT.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
jhdeerslayer

Post by jhdeerslayer »

Reverse of this. I have some commando's on a Amphib HQ and want to get them off. My HQ is in port with one other unit. How can I get one of the two commando's out that are attached to the HQ and onto the map? I don't see a Convert button on the commando's unit detail screen as I expected.
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

If this is a Special Service Bde you need all 3 elements attached to the Amph HQ for it to convert as only the whole Bde can CONVERT back onto the map.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
jhdeerslayer

Post by jhdeerslayer »

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

If this is a Special Service Bde you need all 3 elements attached to the Amph HQ for it to convert as only the whole Bde can CONVERT back onto the map.

These are those independent Royal commando units (40th, 41th) attached to TF545 in the Med. at the start of the 43 campaign.
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

They are 'pure' SUs so can never appear on the map.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
vinnie71

Post by vinnie71 »

On a related issue, but from the other perspective, are the Italian X Commando units (4 battalions)supposed to be a multirole unit? And do they survive the Italian surrender (in real life they went over to the Germans)?
jhdeerslayer

Post by jhdeerslayer »

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

They are 'pure' SUs so can never appear on the map.

Yep got it and expected you to say that after I thought about it. Thanks. They are not the special Amphib HQ type units then that will appear on the map but just a SU that the HQ will try and use in battles..

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”