how do I evacuate air bases?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

jnpoint

how do I evacuate air bases?

Post by jnpoint »

What the subject line says?

In the player's handbook I'm advised not to use 'AI move/Manage Air units/Bases: (hotkey-shift-A)' But how do I then evacuate an air base when I want to prevent the enemy from capturing or destroying my airplanes on ground?
SigUp

RE: how do I evacuate air bases?

Post by SigUp »

You can transfer your squadrons via the F10 air transfer mode. After going to that mode select the base you want to transfer your unit from, select the squadron(s) and then right click on the target base.
Nico165b165

Post by Nico165b165 »

I'm adding a sub question to the topic : if you dont evacuate an airbase manually and the enemy takes the hex, what happens ? 100% losses ? The planes escapes by themselves ? Something somewhere in between ?
SigUp

Post by SigUp »

My guess would that the damaged the planes are destroyed while the rest escape to a nearby base.
jnpoint

Post by jnpoint »

ORIGINAL: SigUp

You can transfer your squadrons via the F10 air transfer mode. After going to that mode select the base you want to transfer your unit from, select the squadron(s) and then right click on the target base.

Thanks, I'll try that.
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

My guess would that the damaged the planes are destroyed while the rest escape to a nearby base.

Yes, it tries to evacuate undamaged planes to nearby bases.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
jnpoint

Post by jnpoint »

Another question: The player's handbook says, when I select F10 - air transfer mode, that if there are no air groups on an air base then it is red. But that is not true, I have found air groups an red air bases? So what am I to believe?
AWGreif

Post by AWGreif »

An Air Group without active planes.
WITW Beta Tester

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”