Update question

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

onomastikon

Update question

Post by onomastikon »

I recently relocated and reinstalled DW:Legends and have enjoyed so far. The update I downloaded and which seems to be the latest is the 1.7.0.20.

I am confused on two counts:
1. This seems to be in beta and have been in beta for a long time now.
2. There are new updates available for what appears to be "Universe" (a different product for which I seem to have no key), but I can't find similar ones for Legends.

So my questions are:
- Am I missing something? What must I do?

Thank you
Bingeling

RE: Update question

Post by Bingeling »

The updates for Universe does not work for Legends. Updates are not made for older versions, apart from maybe one more shadows patch appearing (I have not paid attention to that).

Members club say that 1.7.0.20a is the latest.
Browsing back in time on the forum, this thread seems to be related:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3330051

The Legends product page agrees.

The distant worlds history is:

Distant Worlds
Return of the Shakturi Adds stuff
Legends Adds stuff
Shadows Adds more stuff

Then Distant Worlds Universe adds stuff to shadows and is a "new release" available also on Steam. So there is no "update" to go from Shadows to Universe.

At Universe launch there was a discount based on "previous pieces owned", but that offer has expired.

Your options are to.

1: Play Legends
2: Buy Shadows (makes little sense)
3: Buy Universe

One could hope that they realize that the expired discount was actually a good idea... This week there is at least a general price reduction.
onomastikon

Post by onomastikon »

Oh ok thanks. I didn't realize that Legends was no longer being patched. I think I'll pass on Universe for now; if Matrix doesn't take 20a out of beta, that doesn't bode well...
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Neither the thread linked, nor the product page for legends say that 1.7.0.20a is beta, though.
onomastikon

Post by onomastikon »

I must be misreading this then
http://www.matrixgames.com/members/members.asp
It's listed as beta.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Yes, but the members club is for beta patches, the proper patches are on the "main pages".

It should probably be gone from members area...

Grab it here: http://www.matrixgames.com/products/415/downloads/
onomastikon

Post by onomastikon »

Oh! Thank you! I didn't realize that. For some odd reason, the "downloads" was showing me only demos and trailers, so I thought I had to go to "members". Thank you.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”