Stupidest question EVER - AD

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

FroBodine

Stupidest question EVER - AD

Post by FroBodine »

So, there are Air Directives and there are Air Doctrines. The manual sometimes uses AD, and AD is used all over this forum.

Does AD stand for Air Directive or Air Doctrine, generally? If it is being used interchangably, how would one newbie like me know what one they are referring to in the manual and all these questions and answers on the forum?

Thanks![&:]
Duck Doc

RE: Stupidest question EVER - AD

Post by Duck Doc »

There are no stupid questions and you raise a good point. For reasons that are best not iterated here people often fail to express themselves in a clear manner. I would assume AD refers to air directive because it is more commonly of concern. But there is no way to tell for sure unless you have context which leads you to the correct meaning. I could go on at length about some of the writing in various game manuals but I would be tilting at windmills. The WitE manual brought me to tears and to my knees on a number of occasions. Fortunately at least so far the WitW manuals and guides seem to be clearer. I would love to quote chapter and verse just to point out examples of unclear passages but again it would be a pointless exercise and I would just be identified as a whiner. Carry on...
ogre

Post by ogre »

So, it's like AD has ADD?
[:D]
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Good point. In our use, we use AD for air directive, and say doctrines when we are talking about air doctrines.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
henri51

Post by henri51 »

AD could also mean Air Defence...

"Words mean what I want them to mean - no more and no less!" (The Queen of Hearts in Alice in Wonderland).
Bulldog61

Post by Bulldog61 »

ORIGINAL: Dale H

There are no stupid questions

Yes there are in Basic one guy asked our drill sergeant does the M203 grenade launcher have nuclear capabilities!
You can run but you'll die tired!
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

Not so crazy - remember the M29 Davy Crockett.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
KWG

Post by KWG »

Stupid questions often lead to brilliant answers.
"A word was said - a mare is standing by the fence."
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

Thanks all. I also get very frustrated with vague manuals. Luckily, as Dale mentioned, so far the WITW manual has been pretty good. If I find any unclear passages, I will certainly come here and raise my questions. If that is whining, then I'm a whino! Heck, it works for my four year old, why can't it work here? [8|]
Bulldog61

Post by Bulldog61 »

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

Not so crazy - remember the M29 Davy Crockett.

Yes but the range was 1.7 miles not 400 meters.
I wonder if they informed the crew that they'd glow in the dark afterwards
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

ORIGINAL: MikeKraemer

Yes there are in Basic one guy asked our drill sergeant does the M203 grenade launcher have nuclear capabilities!

Just think of the possibilities! Lethal Weapon 7!!! Mel brings a nuclear capable M203 to a drug deal!!
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
Bulldog61

Post by Bulldog61 »

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

ORIGINAL: MikeKraemer

Just think of the possibilities! Lethal Weapon 7!!! Mel brings a nuclear capable M203 to a drug deal!!

There wouldn't be a lethal weapon 8!

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”