Auto rail repair + airbase repair/level up not working for me?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

humble1

Auto rail repair + airbase repair/level up not working for me?

Post by humble1 »

I have a couple rail repair HQs with four sub units each in Sicily but auto repair of rail does not happen.
I can manual rail repair but no auto rail repair. And my airbases will not expand or repair. Am I missing
something simple. And yes the city damage does repair itself.
marion61

RE: Auto rail repair + airbase repair/level up not working for me?

Post by marion61 »

Those rail repair units you have to use manually. You can assign construction support units to HQ units and they will repair any priority damage you want done first and auto rail repairs. You have to manually make your airfields expand, that is not automatic. Construction type support units is what your looking for and assign them to the HQ where the repairs are to be done.
byron13

Post by byron13 »

I'm having the same problem for airfield repair. The rules suggest that the airfields repair themselves at the default rate of 10% per day using their own support elements. There is no mention of having engineer construction regiments being required to fill in holes in the runway. Given the relative scarcity of construction regiments and the need to repair captured airfields quickly to move air assets forward, this doesn't seem right.

Anyone else? Are airfields only repaired by construction units and not by airbase units?
Belphegor

Post by Belphegor »

How many support elements are in the airfield in question? And what's the supply priority of the airfield?
I've found that airfield TOE or supply has been the usual suspects. A supply priority of 0 means no supplies=no repairs.

This game is far more unforgiving if you don't pay attention to logistics so it's worth checking those first. As well as the range to the HQ in Command
marion61

Post by marion61 »

I may not have been clear, but I did say expand, not repair airbases. Repair of airbases should be automatic if the supplies are available.

8.3.3) Air Gps at damaged Airbases suffer more op losses
and fly less sorties. It is harder to damage and repair a
larger base. As airbases get more crowded then the
easier it is for aircraft on the base to be hit. In addition to
auto repair that happens each day during the air phase,
expanding airbases that have construction units will use
them to repair damage as all damage must be repaired
before expansion work can continue.
Davekhps

Post by Davekhps »

If you check the Tech Support thread, I had the same problem until I was instructed by The Helpful Powers That Be to push forward construction units to lower headquarters nearby airbases. Even then, the unit routing is all squirrely-- the construction units repair rail and damage around the map before they bother expanding airbases. Ummm, when I say I want an airbase expanded, I want it expanded, stat! [:D]

Anyway... the routing logic seems awry. Perhaps The Helpful Powers That Be can bless us with a construction unit that they can manually control, similar to the permanent railway repair units, that at least guarantees focused repair and expansion?
marion61

Post by marion61 »

I agree, that would be awesome. It really needs an airbase expansion construction unit! There are times that it's frustrating playing the lottery sending construction units back to their HQ. I want the repairs, especially the priority ones to happen on my axis of attack, not repairing some back water rail hex.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”