AFV reliability ratings

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderator: MOD_WarintheWest

David Chandler

AFV reliability ratings

Post by David Chandler »

Not sure if this is the appropriate place, as this is not a typical bug, but it is at least an inconsistency with the manual. In WITW the reliability ratings are reversed from both the manual and WITE;
for example, according to the Commander Report the StugIII is a 25 in WITE but a 58 in the West; while the King Tiger in WITE is a 40 whilst its WITW version rates at 28, theoretically making it more reliable than the assault gun.
I checked the Sherman tank (reliability is considered its best feature by some authorities)and the various versions in WITW are ranked in the 70s. A look at the PDF manual doesn't show any significant change from the WITE version of the rules. An oversight? Or am I missing something glaringly obvious?
Otherwise, except for an occasional difficulty loading a saved game (seems to be self-correcting), another great product.
SigUp

RE: AFV reliability ratings

Post by SigUp »

Look here: tm.asp?m=3755680

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

I found out that the aircraft reliability is the same as WitE (high number is bad), but the AFV reliability was changed quite a big. This is what I found out from the team:

We revised the field that was the reliability rating in WitE to represent both reliability and survivability in WitW by splitting the two digit number for reliability into two ratings, the first digit representing reliability and the second digit representing survivability.

The higher the reliabilty (first digit of reliability rating), the lower the chance the AFV will be damaged while moving. So a 9 as the first digit is an AFV least likely to break down during movement.

The higher the survivabilty (second digit of reliability rating)the less likely the AFV will be destroyed in combat as opposed to just being damaged. So a 9 as the second digit is an AFV with the least likely chance of being destroyed due to a special survival check when hit.

The driving reason behind the change to AFVs was to model the susceptibility of early Shermans to ammunition fires. Survivability essentially represents the likelihood that the AFV crew will survive being hit. The damaged result turning into a destroyed result reflects the crew being killed by the hit; in many cases the AFV itself could be repaired from damage that had killed the entire crew.

Please be aware that this survivability check is just one small part of the combat formulas and in no way means that armored cars will live longer on the battlefield than an armored car. Thanks for bringing this up and we'll add the correction to the next readme file.

Return to “Tech Support”