What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Rodwonder

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

Post by Rodwonder »

Bouncing back and forth from Knife Fights by Lt. Col. John A Nagl and Hitler's Pre-Emptive War by Henrik O. Lunde.
Rod T DeMore
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

On the side table for the moment keeping me interested is Panzer Commander by Hans von Luck.

Very easy to read. Some books can be very dry, but his narrative is engaging.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Fire and Movement by Peter Hart.

@MrsWargamer..yes Von Lucks book is one of the good ones.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

I was so impressed about Days Of High Adventures that I bought another ebook from same author: Good Intentions. 19 years old college boy saves angel and succubus from rape and earns their gratitude. After that... life gets interesting [:D]
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

I finished Richard J. Evans' trilogy about the Third Reich. Not bad.

Now reading Winston's War: Churchill, 1940-1945 by Max Hastings. When I think about Churchill I inevitably think about Marcus Tullius Cicero. His oratory amazing skills etc. I am pretty certain he knew he was somehow emulating the Roman political orator.
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

I have read through Good Intentions and its sequel Natural Consequences. Great fun reads. Particularly impressive is balance of horror and comedy elements: some grim horrific frak happens, then someone does or says something that makes me grin and even laugh. I quote you part from Good Intentions that doesn't break forum rules:
As Drew hauled himself up and in, though, the pickup shook. Drew looked up to see the thing standing over the cab. The claws on its feet punctured the roof to help it gain purchase. Wade reached out of the cab with his sub-machinegun again, only to have it swatted away by the demon's tail. "I am Harrow," it roared, "First warrior of Baal!"
Drew didn't listen to the introduction. There was only one thing to do with the giant white demon-thing leering at him as if it were about to eat him: he punched it in its ugly face.
Am I any weird for giggling at that?

And those parts of the books that likely break forum rules: cursing (much of it from angel Rachel) and detailed sex(ual) activities. Fun read as I say! [:D]
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
parusski

Post by parusski »

Been reading The Storm of Steelby, Ernst Jünger

TulliusDetritus, I am listening to the audio book Winston's War: Churchill, 1940-1945 and so far is it excellent.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
wodin

Post by wodin »

Really enjoyed them mate..good reads.

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

I am starting Richard J. Evans' trilogy about the Third Reich.

The Coming of the Third Reich or book #1 [8D]
wodin

Post by wodin »

WOW..your some fast reader!!!

Now reading Winston's War: Churchill, 1940-1945 by Max Hastings. When I think about Churchill I inevitably think about Marcus Tullius Cicero. His oratory amazing skills etc. I am pretty certain he knew he was somehow emulating the Roman political orator.
TulliusDetritus

ORIGINAL: wodin

WOW..your some fast reader!!!

[:)]

Less internet = more time to read. And I never watch TV. I am reading like 4-5 hours a day lately. A pleasure [8D]
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
wodin

Post by wodin »

Cool...I found at times with the trilogy though I was burning out abit with it so took my time with them..reading other books at the same time.
Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak »

Started Panzer Leader by Heinz Guderian three days ago. About 100 pages in and really enjoying it!
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
TulliusDetritus

ORIGINAL: wodin

Cool...I found at times with the trilogy though I was burning out abit with it so took my time with them..reading other books at the same time.

I found book #2 of the trilogy (The Third Reich in Power) a little bit repetitive. I noticed the guy was repeating himself quite many times. In other words, what he said in let's say 100 pages could have been said in let's say 20 or 30 [:)] Overall, excellent trilogy.

Now reading The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt by Toby Wilkinson.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

I have bought myself some more Kindle stuff. I have just started with collection of stories about Conan the Cimmerian written by Robert E. Howard. Yesterday evening I started with Hyborian Age and I'm still stuck on it. I'm slow reader and I have tons of other things to do. Like installing games on my new tablet and testing them out to find machine's limits. Now downloading Age of Wonders 3 from Good Old Games.

MekWars
wodin

Post by wodin »

Just Finished Prague Fatal (A Bernie Gunther novel) by P Kerr. This and Berlin Noir are must reads, love them.

Now starting Covenant of Death by John Harris. Great so far.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Speaking of Prague, I've just started The Ghost of Munich about the infamous 1938 Munich Agreement and seen from the point of view of Edouard Daladier.

Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

Warspite, did your copy of Friedman's WWI book ever arrive?
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

It did sir, although has had little in the way of attention due to work commitments and other books that need to be read. Really glad I have it though for when I get that WWI feeling back.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Frubgarde

Post by Frubgarde »

I am currently reading "The Greek Islands" by Lawrence Durrell.

Not very martial, I realise, although Durrell does provide some anecdotes about his escape from Greece during WWII and the Invasion of Crete. Started reading it as a (sort of) background to Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War, which I also have on the go.

PB

Return to “General Discussion”