How is the learning curve in this game?

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

Antmf_slith

How is the learning curve in this game?

Post by Antmf_slith »

Hey all, I want to start playing these types of games and wanted to know how the learning curve is in this game? Also how is the realism?
Although this is based on the Cold War, I am tossed between this game and the WW2 strategy game To end all wars. Any suggestions or advice?
ultradave

RE: How is the learning curve in this game?

Post by ultradave »

The learning curve to learn the mechanics of doing things in the game I think is quite reasonable. The game is well laid out and most unit functions are available on a right click on a unit. The learning curve to successfully defeating the AI or a human opponent can be quite steep and that's one of the things that makes it a good game. It's a challenge.

I think it is quite realistic for the level it portrays. It has the feel of the information flow that you would get if you were a staff officer in a Bn/TF/Bde TOC. You get to micromanage units a bit more than you would at that level, but the basic idea of giving a mech company orders for what to do for say, the next 30-60 minutes and then watching it unfold, with somewhat limited means to immediately affect that if it all goes to ^&%$^& is definitely there. I've served in that capacity and a couple of others who have have made similar comments.

It's hard to know EXACTLY how realistic it is, since we didn't fight the war in question :-) It FEELS right, based on many tabletop and in the field exercises at the time. I really like the game, and I think it's pretty unique in how and what it portrays.

Hope that helps. Remember that it's just my own perspective.
----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"
Antmf_slith

Post by Antmf_slith »

Does this game have a Wego system where you and your opponent ( or the AI) plan your moves and then see them played out simultaneously when you end the turn?
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Yes, it is an asynchronous Wego system.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
wodin

Post by wodin »

The wego mechanic is for me the major thing that makes this game a true classic (However it has loads of other things in it's credit aswell).
Jakerson

Post by Jakerson »

I would say learning curve of this game is about intermediate. System itself is pretty fast to learn you only have to pick waypoints and how your units move (hasty, deliberate or assault). When your units dont move there are three orders hold, screen and on call. Hold tells unit to dig in and hold position, screen means dont dig in and pull back more easily and on call means wait to react new orders as fast as possible.

I was able to learn basic of the game in one evening by playing tutorial and one small scenario I only had to read manual a little bit to understand some mechanics better. Mechanics are pretty easy to learn so you can totally focus where to attack, where to defend, how to deploy rather quickly.
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

I have a slightly different perspective, having been there/done that in Germany 1987-90 and having wargaming experience with the Assault!-series boardgame and TacOps for the same period. There are things that I really want to do in this game that I cannot do, and it's just going to take some time for this game engine to evolve; i.e., to implement a more robust SOP feature for units, combat engineering, etc. There's a lot of great stuff in this game and the shortcomings are relatively minor. But still, I find myself being careful to not 'unlearn' what I already know (knew?) as I continually learn the mechanics of this game, and relearn certain things based on the updates. My latest challenge has been to start playing the Soviet side and figure out how to get the Soviet doctrine to work.

Back on topic, learning the game mechanics is relatively easy. Learning to play 'well' and win, including how to play with certain work-arounds until more features are implemented, that's the real challenge. But it's fun. It's all about the journey, not the destination...
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

More like a "learning curve BALL" - Watch for the Curve ball and you will get a fastball or change up. That's how it is. And you will be back for more the next inning.[;)]
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
sfbaytf

Post by sfbaytf »

I went ahead and bought this. Between War in the West and combat mission I don't know if I'll have time, but for $29 it seems like worth taking a chance on. Looks like you can add mods to suit your taste and saw some Israeli-Arab stuff.

I've always been interested in the Battle of the Chinese Farm so maybe someone has already created it.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Do yourself a favor. Play those other games first. Because when you start to play this game it is so different that you can find yourself playing this one repeatedly. When that happens it will be the other games that don't get played anymore.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
sfbaytf

Post by sfbaytf »

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

Do yourself a favor. Play those other games first. Because when you start to play this game it is so different that you can find yourself playing this one repeatedly. When that happens it will be the other games that don't get played anymore.

Good Hunting.

MR

hehhe...I couldn't resist and looking the the tutorial. I can multi-task and do a little CM here a little WiTW there and FPCRS there.

It looks pretty darn good.
Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

Good Hunting.

MR

Mad Russian: If you ever decide being a game dev/scenario designer just isn't your thing anymore I can put you in a sales position I know you'd be really, really good at!
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: Werewolf1326

Mad Russian: If you ever decide being a game dev/scenario designer just isn't your thing anymore I can put you in a sales position I know you'd be really, really good at!

Funny you should mention sales. That's my day job! :D

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”