Historical Flags and Symbols mod

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: Vic

Philippeatbay

Historical Flags and Symbols mod

Post by Philippeatbay »

Historical Flags and Symbols version 1.7

This mod is a by-product of flag work that I've done on Battlefront and Fury Software's Strategic Command games and John Tiller's Panzer Campaigns series.

This mod makes a few changes to the graphic presentation, nothing more. It will have zero impact on any pbem games, and won't cause problems if one player uses it but another doesn't.

This mod is designed to be used with other graphics mods.

WHAT THE MOD CHANGES:

Germany:

The mod uses a German roundel derived from the roundel on the Parteiflag. If you substitute Kiddytoto's roundel for mine I won't be offended.

The large, medium, and small headquarters flags are the Reichskriegflag, the German warflag. This is the flag that would have flown in front of any army or navy headquarters, as well as in front of administrative offices in any occupied territory.

The crossed anchors icon for the Wehrmacht navy is the emblem that was worn on the shoulder boards of the Kriegsmarine.

The Luftwaffe eagle has been repainted.

I have replaced the roman alphabet SS icon with white SS runes on a black background.

Italy:

The large, medium, and small headquarters flags are the correct flags for the period (green-white-red tricolor with the coat of arms of Savoy in the white section).

The Italian flag during the first part of the 20th century was not the modern simple green-white-red tricolor. Italy was technically a monarchy, and the coat of arms of the ruling house of Savoy always appeared in the middle of the white stripe (the Italian navy -- aka Regia Marina -- used the arms of the house of Savoy topped with a crown in the middle of their ensigns). This coat of arms can still be seen on many Italian product labels, especially when the companies are headquartered in Northern Italy. The red shield with a white cross tends to show up on vermouth labels ( Italian vermouth is not as dry as french vermouth, or I'd look in my liquor cabinet and confirm that Cinzano still uses it) and I've seen that coat of arms on syrup bottles for Italian ices in Little Italy.

The national icon for Italy is now the coat of arms of the house of Savoy (white cross on a red shield with a blue border).

Hungary:

The large, medium, and small headquarters flags are the red-white-green horizontal tricolor with the coat of arms of Hungary (aka the crown of St. Stephen) in the center. Most people at the time thought that this was the Hungarian national flag, and it is generally accepted that it was the warflag. The out-of-the-box version of the game mistakenly used the modern Italian tricolor for the Hungarian flag at the most zoomed out level. That has been corrected in the mod.

The national icon for Hungary is now the crown of St. Stephen.

Romania:

After much soul-searching I've decided to leave the plain Romanian tricolor from the out-of-the box version as the Romanian headquarters flag. Although still technically a monarchy (a bit like Italy), Romania was under the Antonescu regime, and using military flags emblazoned with King Michael's monogram and coat of arms just didn't seem right.

The national icon for Romania is now the Romanian cross (allegedly modeled on the German balkenkreuz).

[The net effect of these national icon changes is that they are not only more historical this way, but much easier to tell apart].

Soviet Union:

The Soviet flag now has a star above the hammer and sickle.

The national icon for Soviet regulars is derived from the Red Army badges that were made out of enameled metal.

The national icon for Soviet Guards units is based on the Guards badge that they wore.

The national icon for Soviet Naval Infantry (the Black Death) is based on the fouled anchor that appears on Russian marine badges.

The Soviet Roundel now sports a hammer and sickle.

The red star that came with the game is very nice, but should only really designate the Red Army. So the hobgoblin of little minds and semiotics strikes again: both large roundels should have symbols for armies, or both roundels should have symbols for countries. I prefer national symbols, hence my mod.

The non-swastika version of the mod:

The german national roundel uses a roundel based on the Wehrmacht eagle.

Instead of a Reichskrieg flag, German headquarters will be designated by the Wehrmacht eagle on a darker feldgrau background. The folders also contain a lighter version with _alt suffixes.

(Note: The composite image at the bottom of this post uses a slightly older version of the non-swastika part of the mod. The current version uses a darker shade of feldgrau and flat flag symbols on the units).

HOW TO USE THIS MOD:

This mod should be compatible with most if not all other existing graphics mods. I've only modded some of the flags and symbols.

This mod is designed for MANUAL INSTALLATION. You don't have to download and learn how to use any other programs (not that there's anything wrong with that).

The mod comes in two parts. A complete version of the mod as it was intended to be used, and an extra set of files that remove the swastikas for those that are squeamish about that sort of thing.

The mod mimics the game's folder structure, so all you have to do to use it is to copy the folder named "Matrix Games" into the folder that you keep your Matrix Games folder in.

It might be a good idea to back up your originals first in case you hate my work, or use a mod installer.

The simplest way to back up the files that are going to be changed if you don't use a mod installer is to go into your regular installation of the Decisive Campaigns Case Blue folder in your Matrix Games folder and copy the graphics folder. You can leave the copy of the graphics folder sitting next to the original because the program will only look for the original, and will ignore something named "copy of graphics" or "graphics_unmodified". If you give the copy a name that is the same as the original but that only differs in its suffix (e.g. "graphics_org") the two folders will sit next to each other when the game folder is sorted in alphabetical order. You can then switch back by adding a suffix of some kind to the modded graphics folder and removing the suffix from the copy. Do it too many times though, and you may make mistakes, which is why some people prefer mod installers.

I have nothing against mod installers. I actually started modding by working as the terrain editor for Gordon Molek's Combat Mission mod installer. But I ended up getting sick and tired of spending much of my time explaining how to install and use it. Much simpler to do it manually, provided you know how to back up and switch back and forth at will (which you have to be able to do if you're planning on making a mod). The nice thing about doing things manually is that it forces you to examine what changes you're actually making to your computer before you make them. The two parts of my mod can probably be adapted easily enough to a mod installer, but time is short and I have other mods I need to make.

HOW TO GET RID OF THE SWASTIKAS:

Installing this mod will put a lot of swastikas on prominent but historically accurate display. If you don't want to have swastikas in your face on all of your German headquarters units, install the mod, and then go to the folder named "remove swastikas". Inside you'll find another (different and smaller) folder named Matrix Games. Copy and paste that to wherever you keep your regular Matrix games folder. The headquarters swastikas will be replaced by wehrmacht eagles with their wings outstretched ( I used to use this symbol in my Panzer Campaigns mods when I couldn't identify a unit-specific emblem for a particular headquarters). But I recommend that you try the mod with swastikas first, because they aren't as prominent when the Reichskrieg flag is the headquarters symbol (the Parteiflag used a larger roundel and swastika), and because it really is useful when playing the game to call attention to headquarters units with
all of those red flags.

WHERE TO GET THE MOD:

The regular version:

https://app.box.com/s/2isn42lltygazgvck0qr

or here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1xm811b7dtrhr ... 7.zip?dl=0

The Steam version:

https://app.box.com/s/fqnvbutepku9ihzb8gl3vo1h1u90s0cz

or here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l64vs5qsoijda ... 7.zip?dl=0

Caveat: This is a link to a free box account that I use for my John Tiller/HPS Napoleonic mods. Bandwidth is not unlimited, and tends to get used up around the end of the month. So if you ever try to download from this link and you can't, look at the calender and try again on the 2nd of the next month.

There is also a copy of the non-Steam version of the mod at Vic's website:

http://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=220

Attachments
composite.jpg
composite.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 1382 times
Philippeatbay

RE: Historical Flags and Symbols mod

Post by Philippeatbay »

I've made what I'm pretty sure is the last adjustment to the mod.

The Soviet and German roundels have now been textured with lighting effects. As Plato used to say, learning is recollection, and I finally remembered how to use the render-lighting filter.

The non-swastika version of the Germans has been recolored to a darker feldgrau, but I left the non-swastika flags and roundel untextured, partly because they looked funny when textured since they were pretty dark to begin with, and partly because my ancient version of Photoshop is really creaking in Windows 7 and that render-lighting filter is way too labor-intensive to use properly if you don't really have to.

vsadek

Post by vsadek »

Thank you for sharing Phillipe. Very nice mod.

Wargamer: New mod for Decisive Campaigns Case Blue

DropBOX: Historical Flags and Symbols v.1.2.zip

Urpå

Post by Urpå »

Looks very nice. Kudos.
Wargame is the m*********ing answer!
Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

Thanks for posting the link. I'm a couple of weeks away from being able to do it myself.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Excellent work. Always impressed to see such quality artwork being added to the community. Big thanks for the effort from the developer here.

If you have the time and inclination you should post it on www.advancedtactics.org as well, since it is the official repository and i will start adding links to it in the upcoming patches.

Best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

Thanks your kind words. I'll certainly add it to the advanced tactics website as soon as I figure out how to go about it.
Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

I think there would be more scenarios and mods uploaded to the official repository if it were a bit more transparent as to how to go about it.

I'm probably looking in the wrong place, but there doesn't seem to be an upload button that I can put my finger on.

(In other words, please advise).

In the meantime I'll wait a few more days and attempt to add links to my original post.
Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

test
Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: Philippe at bay

I think there would be more scenarios and mods uploaded to the official repository if it were a bit more transparent as to how to go about it.

I'm probably looking in the wrong place, but there doesn't seem to be an upload button that I can put my finger on.

(In other words, please advise).

In the meantime I'll wait a few more days and attempt to add links to my original post.

1. Register.
2. Login
3. In the left under the heading "Scenarios" you see a link "Add a scenario"

best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

There has been a minor update to Historical Flags and Symbols that brings it up to version 1.3.

The update only effects the non-swastika version, so if you are you aren't using that particular version, you won't need to download anything.

The non-swastika version now uses the same flags and roundels for the Germans as in my mod for WtP.

You can download the DCCB Historical Flags and Symbols mod version 1.3 here:

https://app.box.com/s/2isn42lltygazgvck0qr
Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

I'm probably putting the cart before the horse, but Steam keys for DC:CB are available on the Slitherine site even though Steam isn't ready to start selling the game.

In anticipation of the Steam release (and because I probably won't notice when it happens) I've included a link in the first post of this thread to a version of the mod that I'm guessing will work in Steam, when the time comes.

If I miss the release and my mod turns out not to work in Steam, please send me an e-mail and I will make the necessary adjustments. The address will be in the mod's readme files that I'm sure no one reads.
Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

I've changed my mind about Romania, so the two links in the first post now take you to version 1.4 of the mod.

The new version now uses King Michael's warflag instead of the plain tricolor.

I don't plan on updating the screenshot.
vsadek

Post by vsadek »

Thank you for sharing Phillipe. Here is the example of new version for Romanian flag.

Attachments
dccb.gif
dccb.gif (114.44 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

While getting ready for Barbarossa I happened to notice that an important texture had been left out of the Case Blue version of the mod. That has been rectified.

Version 1.5 can now be downloaded from the links in the first post.
vsadek

Post by vsadek »

Hello Phillippe. I don’t know is it only me but for some reason Dropbox does not allow me to download 1.5 ZIP file.

Regards
vsadek

Post by vsadek »

Strange, I managed to download 1.5 ZIP file today. Maybe just some glitch on my side of wire.

Regards
Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

That glitch was probably caused by my running out of bandwidth because my usage hadn't been reset to zero at the start of the month. Box has reset my usage, but if this happens again before I can catch it, my Decisive Campaigns mods are also posted at the scenario database on Vic's website.
Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

I've corrected the Soviet flag by adding a star above the hammer and sickle, so the mod has been updated to version 1.6.

You can download it from the usual links in the first post.

And if I happen to run out of bandwidth, you can also get the non-Steam version from Vic's site:

http://www.advancedtactics.org/scenario ... &tengine=0

Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

I've uploaded the mod to Dropbox, so there are now two places to download it from besides Vic's website.

I've added the links to the first post in this thread.

I've also added the non-swastika symbols that were used in the DC:Barbarossa mod, so the latest version of the mod is now 1.7.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”