On the fence here, what to do?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Qwixt

RE: On the fence here, what to do?

Post by Qwixt »

After looking into WITE, I think I am going to pull the trigger on that game. With the current sale, I can get the base game + the two expansions which have smaller scenarios.

I am looking for single player experience here, and simpler scenarios. I think WITE will provide that better than WITW and WITP:AE at this point in time. I have concerns with the micromanagement level of WITP:AE. I am not sure I would find the game enjoyable, although I am really interested in that portion of the war far more than Europe currently.
Delaware

Post by Delaware »

I wish I had seen this thread before I plunked down my $50 for WITPAE. I like air war and carriers but WITW was a second choice, hope I don't regret it.
MisterBoats

Post by MisterBoats »

AE has paid for itself many times over in the amount of enjoyment I have received from playing it since its release date. I started a grand campaign scenario (vs the AI) in May of last year, and finished it in December ('13). Every moment of the campaign was enjoyable. Learning the systems and sub-systems is a long process, but it's really just a matter of commitment. The smaller scenarios are valuable as learning aids and are quite enjoyable on their own. Of course, a lot of the management can be left to the computer.

As for picking one of Grigsby's games over the other, it's just a matter of what campaign holds the most interest for you. WITE is THE Eastern Front simulation of all I've played. I intend to continue with AE until I croak. Now, having played WITW for many hours, I'm certain that I will be playing it regularly. Between the holiday sales and the weekly specials, all three can be had for less than $200, I think. I spent much more than that on arcade games in the early 80s, for no appreciable benefit.
oldspec4

Post by oldspec4 »

ORIGINAL: Balou

I am a 50+ years veteran of wargaming. From my viewpoint - in a daily preventive struggle against Alzheimer - every $ /€ spent for games like WitW (just finished Husky against AI on challenging) is by far cheaper than every prescription.

IMO, your comments are right on target; and mirror my attitude on wargaming (and gaming in general).

This is from a old gamer w/ beaucoup computer/boardgames now fast approaching medicare. Gonna soon find out if my mental training and gym rat routine has worked[:)]

downtown

Post by downtown »

Like others on this thread, I play wargames partly to help fend off memory loss. I have also found some math books for free online and I have started getting into mathematics again. I loved them when I was in high school, and I found that working calculus again from the beginning is bringing back the joy of learning. Oh, I am 58 1/2 today. You are never too old to learn something new!

Old soldiers never die. They just fade away.
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: sfbaytf

Greeting from a fellow Combat Mission gamer. War in the Pacific AE is awesome, but its really about capturing/holding key atoll/islands and land masses where you can build airbases and enlarge ports. Its really focused on air power, sea power and logistics. The land combat aspect of the game is not really as fleshed out as War in the East or West.

Sounds like you love the Eastern Front the most and that was really a land combat theater. The only combat zone in War in the Pacific that comes close to the size and scope of the Eastern Front is the CBI and that really is not the main event.

I have War in the East too, but haven't really gotten into it, but stating to take another look, now that I have war in the west.

You'll spend a lot of time moving supplies in WitP to where it needs to be. That is your number 1 concern.

Also are you planning on playing against the AI or another person, because War in the Pacific against another person is a completely different experience. I haven't played War in the East or West against another person, but being a Combat Mission person too I can tell you playing against the AI and against another person is a completely different experience and what you lean against the AI will get you wiped out quickly against another person.

Hi sfbaytf

In all of my computer war games I have played against an AI except with Cod2. I believe a decent AI is a good tool to learn the game without getting crushed in combat and getting discouraged, my son who is 45 plays combat mission pbem every day of the week against at least 8 other individual game players, how he keeps everything straight is beyond me, but he loves the game and owns every combat mission game ever made.

The game is well done but I am not into little soldiers running around a map even though it looks pretty real. I like intricate games but don't like to play them, too time consuming, I know weird. I am a beta tester for MWIF, believe me not bragging about the condition of that game even though it is improving.

But MWIF is the perfect blend for me, very intricate with total control of all factors of the game not too many units to move around, but I like the way the air war is done and the naval aspect of the game, the game is right up my alley but as you know a lot of problems but if someday these problems are solved I feel it will be the finest war game ever made. I am hesitating on WITW, not so much financially but the sheer scope and magnitude of the game, good thing it is not covering the whole war, Pacific and Europe.

But as a poster said above it keeps the brain working at older ages, better than medicine.

Bo
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

I'm on the "Fence" too, but not because of price. I'm not sure that I'm up to another Grigsby Game and get lost in the details? At times I'm just not into micro managing!
Tony
Blue Army

Post by Blue Army »

Interesting debate - hope you allow a question along the same path. I myself spend my pc-sparetime on World in Flames - an all time favourite - but is considering one of the 'monstergames'. Actually just got Schwerpunkts new World War II, but haven't had time to play it yet - but is wondering if it should have been WItE (WItW cost a little bit to much for my budget right now). How do you experts rate Scwerpunkts games compared to Gary Grigsbys?

Thanks.
Michael
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

I have played Russo-German war quite a bit. Plus WitE. I actually prefer RGW over WitE. Most likely because the support units are built into the divisions and the air system seems easier for me. The downside to both games is that there are a LOT of units to move. [:(]

I do think the AI in WitE is a lot better than RGW. That could also be a reason I prefer RGW lol. Although in my last game of RGW it was a pretty close race to capture Moscow (I did), then quickly realize that it was pretty much impossible to hold it over the winter turns. [:(]

So both games have my love [:)]. But I think WitW is much better than both of them and will only get better.

I should point out that my wife is going to be upset with me because of you. I would be $50 richer if you did not point out there their new ETO game was out [:@]. So if I get divorced its your fault. [:)]
ogre

Post by ogre »

Ya'll think you've got a problem. I bought WITP-AE six months ago and haven't installed it yet!

I was waiting for WITE to hit the Christmas price point and buy it.

And Lo and behold, out comes WITW!

So, I'll probably buy WITW (with the book...gotta have the book), play what I can over holidays. And while I'm maybe 10% through WITW, pony up and buy WITE before the Christmas price point ends...but will probably not get it loaded til Summer. WITP-AE....ahem...I don't know.

Have no fear, I've got about five "hard" games still in wraps on my shelf. Won't be long before I need to put those in my will...'cause at my current rate, I'll never open 'em.

Blue Army

Post by Blue Army »

Thanks - and blame the 50 $ on me - then I will eventually blame WItE on you[:)]
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

So we now have a suicide pact as both our wives will kill us [:D]
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

what ever you spend here, spend the same on her, then both will happy, apart from the bank manager maybe[8|][:D][;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

While that is a great idea, unfortunately my bank account will only support one costly hobby [:D] If we can't pay rent because I spend as much on her as me, then we will be twice as worst off sad to say [:(]

My I need a kickstarter campaign to help with my hobbies cost [:'(]
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

well i grew up knowing only a few things, you'll always be poor, and your bank manager will hate you, and your wife or girlfriend will never be really happy rich or poor, so i live with that thought as i do as like like as i wont live forever[:D][;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”