graphics

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

jnpoint

graphics

Post by jnpoint »

In fact, I like the map and the small icons on the map (air bases, depot, railyards etc.).

But I think that it would bring more atmosphere though if there were some more animations. Fx a small man repairing the railroad, a small factory burning after an attack, some small men digging with spades when fortifications are build, a small train are transporting troops etc.

Just some small animations that could bring more life on the map.

That's just my thoughts.
jnpoint

RE: graphics

Post by jnpoint »

Sorry, just saw while playing that a train transported my unit, but the train could be more train-like.
Baelfiin

Post by Baelfiin »

Maybe that will come out with the Railroad Tycoon mod [:D]
"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

I disagree with the Op.This is an old school hex based game.No need to clutter screen with extra graphics,keep it simple.
sfbaytf

Post by sfbaytf »

For us old school people the old way isn't an issue. For a younger generation raised on GUIs and graphics it can be an issue. My nephew loves Combat Mission which is a complex sim. Its something he can relate to. Counters on a map no, he just doesn't have the interest. A friend who loves history and computer games that relates to history and combat takes one look at a sim like this and says its for old school gronards and passes. He's in his 40's.

I think if the added something simple and made it moddable it could add a lot of character. Combat Mission has out of the box graphics that are so-so, but the mooders have changed the look and made it a completely different game. If you like old school you can just switch back to what you're comfortable with.

People like us are getting older. I've seen a lot of tech and software companies who refused to acknowledge a changing world become irrelevant in a short time.
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

Would you say that chess or cheackers on pc should have fancy graphics?
sfbaytf

Post by sfbaytf »

Many chess and checkers games you can download do indeed have creative and fancy graphics.

You can deny it all you want, but the fact of the matter is this is a niche product. I love it and so do many others, but its still small peanuts compared to the multi million/billion dollar industry that is moving in a different direction.

I get a sense there is a resistance based on a feeling that if you start adding any sort of graphics or change the formula it will lead down the path of becoming too mainstream and watered down. While there may be some validity to that it doesn't have to be that way. I don't think the OP is asking for cutting edge 3D graphics. I'm not either. Look at some of the other fine Matrix games that do have decent graphics that are not cutting edge.

Slitherine appears to be involved in War in the West, they have a decent graphics in many of their games. I don't have Battle Academy up and running, but the sort of graphics they use for that could be ported over to this.

Like it or not we live in a graphical world. I don't understand or relate to many of the changes taking place and the younger generations ways, but it is reality and ignoring it isn't going to make it go away.

Flight sims used to be top sellers and you had companies built around developing them, but the community got too insular and too set in their ways and look what happened.
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

I think graphics of little guys digging forts and such is kind of silly.Things like that are more suited to Civilization or another similar game.The game is good enough and detailed enough to stand on its own.
sfbaytf

Post by sfbaytf »

Silly graphics are indeed suited to a different breed. I don't understand the tatoo craze the younger generation has taken a liking to, but lecturing them about it isn't going to get you far.

We may sit here in OUR IVORY TOWER smug in out ways and preaching our prowess that we have mastered War in the Pacific AE, yet a simple app like Battle Fleet is a top seller in the Apple ITunes store and is a top seller in the Google app store.

The irony in all of this is the simple graphics used in Battle Fleet or Navy Fleet could easily be used in a complex game like WitP or WitW and that could entice a younger generation to the joys of mastering a complex game with depth.

WitW is more than capable of running on a tablet or mobile device as is. Combine that with graphics from Battle Fleet and think about the possibilities.

Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

The last thing I want is those kinds of things in a game like this. WitP AE has some combat graphic which would work in WitW, but that is about it.

Again this is a question of time and resources and what is important to do with them. Creating new games using this platform, improving under the hood routines, are far more important imho than seeing icons on a map doing things. If I want that I'll just play Civ [:)]
MrFreeze

Post by MrFreeze »

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

I think graphics of little guys digging forts and such is kind of silly.Things like that are more suited to Civilization or another similar game.The game is good enough and detailed enough to stand on its own.

I was looking at a map replacement for WITE (can't post the link but it's the first one on the mod sub menu), from my pov this map is much better than the original: it has colors, cities, a nice modern interface etc. I can understand (and I thank them) why developers are focusing on the gameplay and set of rules but I do believe that visual aspects are very important too. It's interesting, make it appealing then maybe it will stop to be a niche market. (I am not talking about meaningless 3D object on the map but to make the game more... 2014)
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

i also agree with poster, UI makes a lot of difference now days for the younger players who wish not only to have a good engine but maybe also to have eye candy as well, lets be honest here, most players are going to be in a certain age group, mostly male, if you want to reach a newer different target and get younger ages into games like this, you have to alter the old approach that one size fits all, it doesn't...

that's why games don't all use NATO symbols / counters, as not many newer players even know or wish to learn what they mean so it puts them off from day one, it's not Blasphemy to see things different from everyone else and suggest a different approach, narrow minds are what makes games like this sell in the hundreds and not in the 1000s, if you don't agree that's fine, as everyone is in entitled to there own opinions and tbh we are all right so there is no wrong answers, only questions[&o][&o][&o]

if the developer wished to make money, the game would never have been made either, and the time would have been better spent on a low budget first person shooter released on steam, low end would sell in the 1000s with medium end in the 10.000s so would have made more money either way.... just an idea / example not a suggestion either...
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

The issue is the graphics really do not matter as much as you think. No matter how great the graphics are it is the underlying mechanics that matter the most. Plus even if there all sorts of cute sprites in the game, that would not increase sales enough to matter. It is not like someone used to Civ, a RPG, etc. is going to pick up a game like this just because of graphics.

So the developers know their target market and know that spending time on cute graphics is not a good use of their limited resources. Even if enhanced graphic sold another 500 copies of the game it still would not be worth it.

Plus it has nothing to do with people being stuck in the past either. I find that comment condescending and adds nothing to the discussion btw. For the record I love graphic games. I'm playing Borderlands 2 right now as well and enjoy it a lot. Plus Panzer Corp, Battle Academy, etc. So I definitely appreciate the graphics in games. But just because a lot of games have them, does not mean ALL of them have to have them.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

sorry wasn't meant to be or sound condescending either [:(][&o]
jnpoint

Post by jnpoint »

I agree that this map is much better than WitE, but is it finished then? Is it as good as it can get?

I do respect that this is an old school war game and that the primary target group are old school war game players. I know that a simple and basic map has its advantages too.

I opened this thread because I miss tools to get an overview of what I have already done and what actually happened in the last game turn and also where it took place. There are many numbers, but visually almost nothing. That is my main purpose with this thread. I do not want to have silly icons on the map either, I want more visual HELP!

So it is not just eye candy, I am asking for, it is also and most of all a help.
fsp1978

Post by fsp1978 »

I think games like WITW could do with small animations like in WITP:AE. Those are very, very nice and add a lot to the immersion. Some eye candy (and sounds) are really helpful. What I would also like for grognard games are some little screens or maybe even historic footage for say capturing Stalingrad, Moscow, Berlin, breaching the west wall, the first Russian winter arriving, etc.

I have no idea how many resources this will take up though.

But little men digging on the map are not my cup of tea either.

What I would wish for: Every strategy game should have the possibility to choose between NATO symbols and icons. While I for the life of me cannot understand why anyone would want icons, I have a couple of friends who flat-out refuse to play anything with NATO symbols. They would surely enjoy the underlying game, but the will not give it a go without icons. Driving me nuts.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

jnpoint, i'd give up as to most your treading on holy ground, even suggesting the ability in some war games to remove the hexes gets stamped on, so to ask for extra bits and bobs that's the other 20 odd games in 20 series haven't got isn't going to happen, but to just either mod them yourself or give up asking, i found that out many posts ago here with some members tbh

sorry to have sounded condescending to some before, but change isn't a bad thing or devil worshipping either, or condescending to think out of the box or have others views, and is part of the discussion, not off topic, so just because it doesn't follow every ones point of view, doesn't mean its a bad thing either, so is a valid post and point and no i'm not going to change my views just because others don't agree of like them either, Google a debate or discussion,then try democracy and freedom of speech...

sorry jnpoint, your views are good and valid and i for one agree with them, but it seems the holy grail has been found already and doesn't need any alterations[:D] [;)]
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: fsp1978

I think games like WITW could do with small animations like in WITP:AE. Those are very, very nice and add a lot to the immersion. Some eye candy (and sounds) are really helpful. What I would also like for grognard games are some little screens or maybe even historic footage for say capturing Stalingrad, Moscow, Berlin, breaching the west wall, the first Russian winter arriving, etc.

I have no idea how many resources this will take up though.

But little men digging on the map are not my cup of tea either.

What I would wish for: Every strategy game should have the possibility to choose between NATO symbols and icons. While I for the life of me cannot understand why anyone would want icons, I have a couple of friends who flat-out refuse to play anything with NATO symbols. They would surely enjoy the underlying game, but the will not give it a go without icons. Driving me nuts.

there in luck then, as it's already been done

tm.asp?m=3753980

one holy point been modernized for none war gamers to start to be able to even understand what units even mean, so thanks for the mod and share / post, hope others try it and post reviews so other none or new war gamers don't feel unwelcome either and won't give it a go...[;)]

as with all new stuff, not everyone like it, so it's an option, you can use them, or you don't have to, it's a choice, like better graphics, it's only a choice if it's offered, when it's not, you don't have the option to turn it on and use it or not...

that's my point, atmosphere, not 20 odd pages of stats, or you will bore some to death and never give it a go in the first place, as engine is great, but wont suit every one, a few tweaks and it could, first ones been done, now lets wait for the others
jnpoint

Post by jnpoint »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

there in luck then, as it's already been done

tm.asp?m=3753980

one holy point been modernized for none war gamers to start to be able to even understand what units even mean, so thanks for the mod and share / post, hope others try it and post reviews so other none or new war gamers don't feel unwelcome either and won't give it a go...[;)]

as with all new stuff, not everyone like it, so it's an option, you can use them, or you don't have to, it's a choice, like better graphics, it's only a choice if it's offered, when it's not, you don't have the option to turn it on and use it or not...

that's my point, atmosphere, not 20 odd pages of stats, or you will bore some to death and never give it a go in the first place, as engine is great, but wont suit every one, a few tweaks and it could, first ones been done, now lets wait for the others

Do these icons work with WitW also?
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

that's what they are for, but also
They are also WitE compatible.
Unzip to the Dat/Art/Units folder. The zip (next post) includes the originals renamed so no need to create your own backup.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”