CVN-80 USS Enterprise

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

John 3rd

CVN-80 USS Enterprise

Post by John 3rd »

Hey.

I just was looking up names for additional Essex-Class CVs when I saw that a new Gerald R. Ford Class CVN will be named USS Enterprise. Here is what I read:

On 1 December 2012, during the presentation of a pre-recorded speech at the inactivation ceremony for USS Enterprise, U.S. Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus announced that CVN-80 would be named Enterprise.[4] She will be the ninth ship and the third aircraft carrier in the history of the United States Navy to bear the name.[3] CVN-80 will also be the first U.S. aircraft carrier since America was commissioned in 1966 not to be named in honor of a person.

Evidently old news but I had not read this. FANTASTIC!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
topeverest

RE: CVN-80 USS Enterprise

Post by topeverest »

yup, pretty much a foregone conclusion that name gets another cycle.
Andy M
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

I hadn't heard about this. But it did bring a smile to my face. Well done, John.
koniu

Post by koniu »

CVN-80 is planed to be commissioned in 2025 so at lest 10 more years without Enterprise in Service
"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"
btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: koniu

CVN-80 is planed to be commissioned in 2025 so at lest 10 more years without Enterprise in Service

I can wait. Saw some stuff on the "aircraft launching system". Pretty cool....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Yes, I grow a bit tired of carriers named after dead or soon to be dead presidents. They have enough honors. Now where is the Hornet, Lexington, Saratoga, Wasp and so on? These are great names for carriers.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

+1
Coach Zuck

Post by Coach Zuck »

The WASP is currently in service as an LHD .... amphibious assault carrier with choppers and modified to fly F-35s.

But yes CR we need those other great names back!
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Yes, I grow a bit tired of carriers named after dead or soon to be dead presidents. They have enough honors. Now where is the Hornet, Lexington, Saratoga, Wasp and so on? These are great names for carriers.

A lot of the old carriers have been reused for Ticonderoga class cruisers. The Saratoga CV-60 was decommissioned, but could conceivably be brought back to service until September of this year when she was sent to the scrapyard. I expect one of the next cruisers will be named Saratoga.

I do agree that I don't like the naming of carriers after people. Especially ones who nobody remembers. Very few people know who Carl Vinson or John Stennis were. I've looked them up, so I know, but most people have no clue.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Rattlesnake, Copperhead and Cottonmouth would be great. The US Navy had a privateer named Rattlesnake built in 1813. She was a brig if I recall. I used these three names for three of my carriers in my current campaign.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
wegman58

Post by wegman58 »

One VERY simple rule - If you are ALIVE - NO SHIPS, no buildings, no nothing.

The BURKE was a bad precedent even if the namesake was quite appropriate.
Bill Goin
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

I just mentioned the intended commissioning time to my spouse , who informed me that we were going to be there. And she'd wear here CVN-65 command cap. [;)]
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

One VERY simple rule - If you are ALIVE - NO SHIPS, no buildings, no nothing.

Thank you.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

When Admiral Burke had the destroyer named for him , he was in a wheelchair , and in a nursing home. The rule in naming ships was that the Navy didn't want to name a ship for anyone who could later go on to embarrass himself (or herself) and the Navy. Sorry, maybe I've grown soft , but I don't see a 93 year old in a wheelchair , in a nursing home being much of a public embarrassment. Maybe you guys will be chasing nurses , having wild parties and acting like a frat boy at that age , but I myself don't see it. Of course when Burke gave a speech at the commissioning ceremony he pointed out that if the Navy named every ship after a living congressman or Senator "we'd have a 600 ship Navy in no time!". (The goal of the USN in the 1980's , not quite achieved). [:(]
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Maybe you guys will be chasing nurses , having wild parties and acting like a frat boy at that age

One can only hope.[:D]

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I wonder how many Americans know what minor ships USS Wasp and USS Hornet were originally?
The Moose
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

I wonder how many Americans know what minor ships USS Wasp and USS Hornet were originally?

You mean like back in the day of sail? First USS Wasp I believe was a brig. Don't know about the first USS Hornet.

rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

Wasp and Hornet were brig/sloop class vessels during the War of 1812. I cannot remember if there were others before this.

As far as the nursing home goes....I will follow the example set by my great grandmother and organize wheelchair races amongst the inmates. Maybe Musical Chairs.....
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

The first Wasp and Hornet went into service in 1775. They were the first ships of the Continental Navy to get to sea, at least according to Wikipedia.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

The first Wasp and Hornet went into service in 1775. They were the first ships of the Continental Navy to get to sea, at least according to Wikipedia.

Bill

I believe Cabot was in that tier too. Got a carrier, now long forgotten by all but the most dedicated naval historian.
The Moose

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”