Soviet Urban Combat Doctrine

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

Jakerson

Soviet Urban Combat Doctrine

Post by Jakerson »

Since am from eastern european country am bit familiar about Soviet combat doctrines.

One thing what am missing in this game is real life Soviet Urban warfare doctrine. In real life Soviets would have never stormed directly inside town and cities what you see in game they rather bypass town or if they are forced to take the town. They attack outskirt of the city or town. Then, the Soviet deploy the bulk of their self-propelled artillery in direct-fire support of tanks and infantry. Since massed artillery fires create rubble in the very areas through which a force wants to advance in urban breakout combat direct-fire is preferable.

Direct fire can be conducted by guns, howitzers, multiple rocket launchers and mortars. Soviet also had specialized equipment planned for blow up enemy occupied buildings with direct fire. Whole doctrien is based blowing up all buildings without creating rubble to block the ways that troops want to advance.

Soviet also use tear gas, smoke and white phosphorus artillery and mortar rounds in urban warfare directly fireing them into buildings and fortified positions. White phosphorus burn create toxic gas that is able to penetrate gas masks and is very effective flushing infantry away from buildings and fortified positions.

I dont know how this can be implemented in game but I would hope some way I can order my troops blow up buldings with direct fire and flush infantry with toxic gas then advance one hex at time to objective.

Soviet used similar urban breakout doctrine it worked great against Germany at WW2. Even if you cannot implement this in this game I hope you consider this doctrine if you ever great that WW2 flashpoint game. ;D
Jakerson

RE: Soviet Urban Combat Doctrine

Post by Jakerson »

I also find it littlebit problematic (just littlebit this is not game breaking) that in many scenarios victory objectives are inside towns when soviet combat doctrine stated that urban combat should be avoided whenever possible and rather bypass towns and encircle any troops there.

Yes I know ww3 games are highly hypothetical so nobody knows 100% sure what works what dont. [:)]

WildCatNL

Post by WildCatNL »

Jakerson, interesting feedback on Soviet urban warfare doctrine.

As I understand it Mad Russian picked the Red Storm battlefields such that the Warsaw Pact attack towards the Dutch border avoids large cities (Hannover, Hamburg, Osnabruck, Braunschweig).
With Germany being densely populated, and key harbors (Bremen) and bridges typically being co-located with cities, it is impossible to avoid controlling (smaller) cities altogether.

William
William
On Target Simulations LLC
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: Jakerson

Since am from eastern european country am bit familiar about Soviet combat doctrines.

We like getting the perspective of all the possible participants of what would have been the worlds most destructive war. Any comments or insights you will share are very welcome.

One thing what am missing in this game is real life Soviet Urban warfare doctrine. In real life Soviets would have never stormed directly inside town and cities what you see in game they rather bypass town or if they are forced to take the town. They attack outskirt of the city or town. Then, the Soviet deploy the bulk of their self-propelled artillery in direct-fire support of tanks and infantry. Since massed artillery fires create rubble in the very areas through which a force wants to advance in urban breakout combat direct-fire is preferable.

If you check the towns in the game to a map you will see there are no combats in major cities. Instead the Soviet objectives are always in smaller or at best medium sized towns. This is to reflect your comment on Soviet Combat objectives. They would not fight for the major cities but would have to fight to control the road nets around them.

To have the Soviets control the road net means at times they have to take road intersections or the small town which it runs through. Those are the main Soviet objectives in the scenarios/campaigns. Not fighting for major cities or even small towns but the road net that is crucial to their advance to the Atlantic Ocean or the North Sea.
Direct fire can be conducted by guns, howitzers, multiple rocket launchers and mortars. Soviet also had specialized equipment planned for blow up enemy occupied buildings with direct fire. Whole doctrien is based blowing up all buildings without creating rubble to block the ways that troops want to advance.

Soviet also use tear gas, smoke and white phosphorus artillery and mortar rounds in urban warfare directly fireing them into buildings and fortified positions. White phosphorus burn create toxic gas that is able to penetrate gas masks and is very effective flushing infantry away from buildings and fortified positions.

I dont know how this can be implemented in game but I would hope some way I can order my troops blow up buldings with direct fire and flush infantry with toxic gas then advance one hex at time to objective.

We are continually looking at ways to implement real world equipment and usage into the game series. NBC warfare should be enhanced as we go forward with new games in the series. Your comments are very helpful and we appreciate you taking the time to share with us.
Soviet used similar urban breakout doctrine it worked great against Germany at WW2. Even if you cannot implement this in this game I hope you consider this doctrine if you ever great that WW2 flashpoint game. ;D

This series is only limited by the time we have to develop it. From the Marco Polo Bridge to the near future or even possibly beyond into Sci-Fi. These are all possible games that could be developed for the series. When you consider actual conflicts, possible conflicts, and future conflicts, the possibilities are endless.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”