Why is it impossible to win?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Ekaton

Why is it impossible to win?

Post by Ekaton »

I have a lot of battles when my forces with 100k soldiers that are well supplied and with good leaders, have trouble winning with 5k of Germans that are defending fort lvl 1 or 2, no matter good aerial support that I am providing. Is it intended? How am I supposed to win? Is there some trick or are mountain forts just impossible to breach?
I need ten females for each male...
Ekaton

RE: Why is it impossible to win?

Post by Ekaton »

Just now had a battle when force with 250+ CV lost agains 80 CV Germans with 3rd lvl fort. Is this intended?

EDIT: And again: 521 vs 280. Lost again.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Well, it's hard to comment without specific saves and/or screenshots as there are so many factors that go into combat. But, yes, it is very possible for a good force in good terrain to hold up a much larger force. At 521 to 280 you're getting close. Do you have any air interdiction in the target hex. This along with ground support a/c can make a big difference in combat. The Allies must use their air power to counter bad terrain, forts and high quality German units and leadership.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Also, do you have your combat units with 3 directly attached support units? Using engineers can help against high fort levels. In general the Allies have enough non-artillery support units that every division can have 3 attached battalions.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
cmunson

Post by cmunson »

Ekaton, it is hard to tell without a screenshot. What is the terrain and are the values you quote adjusted for weather, etc. (see combat screen)? In any case I suspect you need to increase your interdiction in the hex. Interdiction is more helpful than ground support missions. Get the interdiction up to 7 or higher in the hex you are attacking and you'll knock those krauts out of there. Even if you lose you'll inflict more damage on them than you get. Also, if a hex is particularly stubborn attack it more than once with fresh units coming in as needed. The Germans will run out of ammunition. Hang in there, you'll do it.
Chris
Ekaton

Post by Ekaton »

All of my forces have 3 attached support units. I will give you several examples:

- Tanks, SP artillery, Cmbt Eng - 45th US
- Tank destroyers, AAA btn, Cmbt Eng - 3rd US
- Armoured Cars, Anti-Air, SP Art - 50th BR

Such forces are attacking, with connection to HQ. HQs have 536 and 279 cannons respectively, as well as 300 and 232 vehicles.

But well, I do have only lvl 3 interdition, can this be the factor that makes me lose?

EDIT: Got mistaken on the lvl.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

The interdiction is just one factor, but a 9 interdiction will help a lot more than a 3 (but it can be tough to get those high interdiction levels if you don't have close by airpower). Chris had an excellent point though that it often takes several attacks during a turn to dislodge a tough defender. Often the first attack will lower the fort level and/or weaken the defenders (in men and ammo) and the 2nd can break through.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Ekaton

I have a lot of battles when my forces with 100k soldiers that are well supplied and with good leaders, have trouble winning with 5k of Germans that are defending fort lvl 1 or 2, no matter good aerial support that I am providing. Is it intended? How am I supposed to win? Is there some trick or are mountain forts just impossible to breach?

Don't forget the other guy has leaders and support units.

Also don't forget reserve reactions.

You really need to post info.

Historically speaking it was normal for a small force to hold off a much much larger force.

Its about firepower and getting units to the point of attack.

You can have 300 vs 1,000,000 and the 300 can holdout for days because the pass is only 100 feet wide.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE
goulash

Post by goulash »

Sparta fan :)

Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: goulash

Sparta fan :)

I was talking about the Eastern Front heheheheeheh
Beta Tester WitW & WitE