Thank you, Matrix!

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

MisterBoats

Thank you, Matrix!

Post by MisterBoats »

I want to thank everyone at Matrix, Slitherine, 2X3 -- everyone involved -- for developing WITW. I bought Gary Grigsby's "Western Front" back in 1991. I played it until the 5 inch floppy disk had holes in it. It was a great game, but I longed for one with all of the features of WITW. I moved on to Pacific War, WITP and AE, and got hundreds of hours of enjoyment out of all three. WITE, as well. WITW is the latest dream to come true.

The manual, player's guide and tutorials are superb. I've played through "Husky" three times in two days. I think I've got a very good grasp of the basics. I want to start one of the NW Europe scenarios next and try tinkering with the air systems. All of the other systems and mechanics make a great deal of sense. I've been using the automated air directive feature so far, but I want to try planning a few missions directly.

Thanks again to everyone involved in the project.

Devonport

RE: Thank you, Matrix!

Post by Devonport »

Yes, thanks from me as well. I dabbled with WITP:AE without ever getting past the small scenario stage, and never had WITE (the size scared me). Just got through Husky twice on 'normal' as Allies, first time lost to a minor axis victory, second time won a major victory including capturing Messina [;)] . Helped by terrific handbook and tutorials - makes a big difference to how approachable the game is. No doubt development will be needed, but this is a great start and a good entry into GG games for incompetents like me.
MisterBoats

Post by MisterBoats »

On Husky -- normal difficulty -- I achieved a draw as the Allied commander, due largely to not clearing the entire island. The terrain problems and unit congestion play a big role, as they should. Patton managed to hold his temper and will (theoretically) go on to command 12th Army Group. Next, I want to tackle the entire Med campaign.
Balou

Post by Balou »

Finished Husky against AI on challenging within time frame. Main objective was learning curve - mainly air war. I have to point out that a lot of the new stuff is - although new - almost self-explaining which makes it very easy for gamers with 2by3 experience.
“Aim towards enemy“.
- instructions on U.S. rocket launcher
cmunson

Post by cmunson »

Yes, thanks to Matrix and 2by3. Judging by the explosion of posts since the launch the game has generated a lot of interest. I hope so, success breeds success (and more games from 2by3!).
Chris
Balou

Post by Balou »

Fully agree. And cannot remember a similar earthquake upon launch of any other 2by3 game.
“Aim towards enemy“.
- instructions on U.S. rocket launcher
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Thanks to you all for your support. [8D]
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
jhdeerslayer

Post by jhdeerslayer »

+1

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”