Ordering a unit not to fire...is it possible?

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

genehaynes

Ordering a unit not to fire...is it possible?

Post by genehaynes »

Quick question,

While playing A Time to Dance (As NATO) is there any way to order the HUmvee units to "hold fire" and just act as forward observers? I gave all of the HUMVEES screen orders in high cover (i.e. Woods or towns). However one of them opened fire at about 2k yards (4 hexes) at a unit that posed no threst. Needless to say the Humvee was immediately destroyed. Right now now it looks like the best you can do is give them screen orders. Is this correct.

BTW, I'm having a heck of a time even getting close to a victory in this scenario. I'll keep trying though.

Great game, reallying enjoying it.
cbelva

RE: Ordering a unit not to fire...is it possible?

Post by cbelva »

Unfortunately no, there is no hold fire order. It is high on our wish list of things we would like to add to the next version of the game.
Charles Belva
On Target Simulations LLC
mikeCK

Post by mikeCK »

Agreed. Hard to have an OP set up when your infantry platoon opens up on passing tank companies.
budd

Post by budd »

yea would be nice to have an ambush order with an ability to set a range or highlight the hexes you want the unit to ambush.Maybe even set a unit type to ambush...we can dream cant we[;)]
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
raventhefuhrer

Post by raventhefuhrer »

This would be something that would go great for SOPs. Tell a unit to hold fire unless: 'Enemy gets within x number of Hexes' or 'Enemy spots and fires upon you' or something like that.

Just a button that toggles fire at will on and off wouldn't be very useful, since you don't have quick enough input to micromanage that. 30 minutes (on average) between two command windows is too long to have someone hold fire - opportunities will be missed. So you need to be able to give your units the authority to contextually make those decisions on their own.
budd

Post by budd »

good point.....a strict hold fire wouldn't work well.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Max 86

Post by Max 86 »

Setting the engagement conditions for each unit would be very nice indeed. IIRC, Campaign Series had a pop up screen where you could set the conditions and range for opportunity fire for units. Can't remember if you could select target types but something like that would be nice too, a pop up menu setting engagement options.
No problem Chief!
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: raventhefuhrer

This would be something that would go great for SOPs. Tell a unit to hold fire unless: '...or 'Enemy spots and fires upon you' or something like that.

Anytime an enemy unit fires on you they will have the capacity to return fire. At that point you are identified there is no reason to hold your fire any longer.

Remember, you are the Brigade Commander not a Platoon Commander. There are some orders you may never see in FPC. We are going through that list of orders and what is plausible and what is not. How to change the order selections and the responses.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Jakerson

Post by Jakerson »

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian
Anytime an enemy unit fires on you they will have the capacity to return fire. At that point you are identified there is no reason to hold your fire any longer.

Remember, you are the Brigade Commander not a Platoon Commander. There are some orders you may never see in FPC. We are going through that list of orders and what is plausible and what is not. How to change the order selections and the responses.

Good Hunting.

MR

This is kind of why I love this game as it gives you feeling that you are high level commander that focus on high level planning and coordination of troops instead of micromanaging how every individual unit behaves. Adding more ways to micromanage units kind of destroys why I love this game.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

I expect me to do my job, which is to give my forces the overall positioning and fire support to complete their mission.

Then I actually expect the rest of the people to do their job. I expect a platoon leader to lead his platoon, so I don't have to. I expect the tank gunner to pick his target and the correct type of ammunition to take out the target. I expect the vehicle driver to put the vehicle in the best location to allow it to engage or defend.

Good Hunting.

MR

mikeCK

Post by mikeCK »

I just want to be able to keep my units from firing first. If they are discovered or fired upon then whatever they have to do is fine. But if I have an infantryman in the wood line who starts opening fire on passing tanks, it makes it difficult to conduct light recce. Maybe some type of "don't fire unless fired upon or spotted"?
Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

1st off let me just say FPC is a great game. Good AI, fun, does a very good job of putting the player in the top commanders place (but only if staff rules are in place with limited command capability on). I'm not ragging on the game but I do take issue with Mad Russian's post #7 above.

A Humvee recce unit with M2 machineguns as their primary weapon system firing on tanks is just plain stupid. If the recce unit is seen and starts taking fire it needs to at least unass the area and retire to another prepared position with cover and if possible call in smoke that blocks thermal sights.

A platoon leader absolutely must obey orders and if the Brigade/Bn/Co SOP says light recce units don't take on tanks then they don't take on tanks. They follow SOP.

Here's a true story (kind'a funny) that illustrates SOP and how it must be followed.

While serving in M-60A1's in Germany on maneuvers at Grafenwoehr the Company I was in (C/4/64A/3Bde/3ID) was cross posted to an infantry brigade. The Brigade commander showed up on an inspection tour of the defensive positions we had set up in a tree line. We had followed Bn SOP and used local foliage to hide our tanks in dug in engineer built emplacements - WE DIDN'T DIG FOXHOLES! This grunt asked me where were our foxholes? I told him bluntly we carried our foxhole around on our back (probably not smart to crack wise with a bird Colonel). He was none too pleased with that answer and asked what we'd do if our tank got knocked out. I told him that if the tank was no longer capable of resisting and unless the enemy was about to over run us the crew would head to the Co or Bn CP and be made available as replacement crew because a live tanker was worth a helluva lot more than a dead grunt (stupid, stupid thing to say)- but that was Bn and Co SOP - I probably could have told him all that with a bit more detail/explanation and way more diplomacy but we'd been up all night and were freezing our behinds off.

Needless to say that Brigade Commander was none too pleased. Wanted to relieve me right then and there on the spot - he didn't but he had a long talk with my Bn Commander. I was very, VERY lucky that day. Colonel Mosler calmed the Brigade Commander down and said he'd take care of the situation. I did get my ass reamed but not for what I told the Infantry puke but how I told him.

Platoon leaders follow SOP - period. Initiative is used when and if appropriate and necessary. If you deviate from SOP you better have a darned good reason. Maybe things are different now than in the early 70's but I kind'a doubt it.

In game terms that means if a player has the option to setup game unit SOP the units follow it. There may be programmed exceptions of course - which makes the GAME even more realistic. But the idea of a light recce unit firing on enemy tanks (especially at 2K yards) is inane. No sane recon unit commander would sacrifice his unit unless it was absolutely necessary. And if I was the commander of the platoon leader who chose such an action and there weren't some really, really convincing extenuating circumstances I'd relieve him.
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: Werewolf1326

1st off let me just say FPC is a great game. Good AI, fun, does a very good job of putting the player in the top commanders place (but only if staff rules are in place with limited command capability on). I'm not ragging on the game but I do take issue with Mad Russian's post #7 above.

Discussion is the root of all progress.
A Humvee recce unit with M2 machineguns as their primary weapon system firing on tanks is just plain stupid. If the recce unit is seen and starts taking fire it needs to at least unass the area and retire to another prepared position with cover and if possible call in smoke that blocks thermal sights.

A platoon leader absolutely must obey orders and if the Brigade/Bn/Co SOP says light recce units don't take on tanks then they don't take on tanks. They follow SOP.

Again, I expect the leader, gunner, etc. to do their job.

I don't expect the Platoon Leader or the Humvee gunner to engage a Soviet tank with an M2HB 50cal. That's not smart and they will want to live longer than that. As the Brigade Commander I shouldn't have to tell them that and in real life wouldn't. Try that order in reverse. Tell that Platoon Leader to engage tanks with MG's and see what happens. Even if you gave them that order they would probably not follow it without a really good reason.

We are currently discussing orders and SOP and how the two of those will mesh for game play.

The premise is still what I stated earlier. Everybody is expected to do their job. They trained for it, they know what it is, they are good at it. I shouldn't have to tell them what it is with every mouse click. And we won't go that direction.

Good Hunting.

MR

IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian
Remember, you are the Brigade Commander not a Platoon Commander.

Well, that all depends.

I see thins game as having the player simultaneously act as multiple levels of command. What levels depends on the scenario. Take the smallest element in the OB and go up two levels. That's the level of command that plans the maneuver (usually in gross terms). Go up on level from the smallest unit and that's the level of command that executes the plan.

So, I think it's entirely fair to say that we play NATO as Company/Troop, Battalion/Squadron, and Brigade/Regimental commanders. Moreover, the state of the game engine does not presently have the capability for the player to act as a brigade commander. In fact, the game engine often requires me to act as a platoon leader in order to avoid the AI maneuvering imprudently.

What do I mean by all that above? I can't tell order a company to defend a battle position of tell it to cover an engagement area. I have to do LOS checks to determine where to put platoons. I have to fiddle with waypoints to cajole platoons to do perform basic doctrine like move using cover and concealed routes instead of finding the closest road. I have to pull helos off station before they run out of ammo, so they don't fly the more hazardous routes to the FARP.

Remember, the shortcomings of the game engine force us to act as platoon leaders.
Jeff
Sua Sponte
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Agreed Jeff. The emphasis is on Brigade, or higher level command, but this is not a simulator. So, you do manage other positions down the Chain of Command.

What I was trying to get across is that the main emphasis is up the CoC and not down it. So, for the most part, the changes you will see with the system involve higher level options not lower level ones. We don't intend on you giving orders to a tank or a squad unless they are the sole remaining element of the original unit.

For those of you that have served in any nations military this is is obvious. For those of you that haven't it's not so obvious. We are trying to keep our focus on where we started and not move away from that and trying to explain why we aren't.

Good Hunting.

MR

mikeCK

Post by mikeCK »

Either way, it's a relief to have a game that is so good and so polished that we are discussing minor issues like this.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Be able to order units to hold fire is particularly important for recon units that you'd like to use for arty spotting...

A couple of Hummv mounted scouts will last minutes once they open fire on the massive column of Sov armor rolling past them, but think if the damage they could do if they bring down some accurate ICM barrages by hiding rather than firing on the enemy...

wodin

Post by wodin »

Mad Russian I do think SOP's would come in handy for those who want to use them..also games being games SOP's can give the friendly AI a helping hand. I see setting the SOP's not as if you have sent an order to the unit from a higher commnader but more as the unit itself working out his plan and following it.
IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

An alternative to ripping apart the game engine might be this:

1. Edit the country data spreadsheet. Make some "short range" weapons (400 meters) that are otherwise identical to the .50 cal, etc. Add units that use those weapons
2. Edit scenarios to use these new recce units.

I could see doing that for HMMWVs and M113 equipped recon elements. Not sure I'd want to go that route for cannon or missile carrying recce vehicles.
Jeff
Sua Sponte
genehaynes

Post by genehaynes »

OK, since I was (and still am) getting my butt kicked playing the NATO side in the "Time to Dance" scenario, I decided to try the Soviet side ( WS_ AS scenario). I ordered one of my recon units to move adjacent to the southern blow bridge. About 1500 meters away (3 hexes) it spotted two NATO tank units across the river, adjacent to the bridge. Both tank units began firing at the recon unit. Instead of stopping and seeking some cover (at least stop for pete's sake) they continued on their merry way until they got to their objective (which was adjacent to both tank units). Naturally they were destroyed in short order. Would it be possible to some way incorporate some logic for recon units so they don't fire on tanks from cover with machine guns or, after spotting them 3 or 4 hexes away continue to move adjacent to them? BTW, I did win a decisive victory, but writing those condolence letters for my recon guys was depressing:)

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”