Flak question

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

jnpoint

Flak question

Post by jnpoint »

Are Flak units units you can move around?
Jim D Burns

RE: Flak question

Post by Jim D Burns »

Flak support units are moved via the city screen (click on the city name top right of the game screen). From what I have seen so far it is prohibitively expensive to move them though. I tried saving a few of the heavy flak units from the cities in Sicily and it was costing something like 15 point to send one away. Lighter flak was cheaper, but still expensive.

Given the costs to redeploy flak, I’d say you will not be making any major redeployment of your flak defenses in the game. There simply aren’t enough points being generated in game to allow it. You might move one battalion a turn but even that is damn expensive. And it certainly won’t make any significant change to the at start flak set up across Germany and France.

I did not track where the flak units I clicked on went. I assume it goes to the highest command HQ units support units list and you then will have to pay more political points to deploy it back to map later, but I haven’t confirmed this assumption yet.

Jim
Great_Ajax

Post by Great_Ajax »

The reason why it is so expensive is because the flak units stationed at cities have little to no organic transport. You are paying a resource price to move them.

Trey
ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

Flak support units are moved via the city screen (click on the city name top right of the game screen). From what I have seen so far it is prohibitively expensive to move them though. I tried saving a few of the heavy flak units from the cities in Sicily and it was costing something like 15 point to send one away. Lighter flak was cheaper, but still expensive.

Given the costs to redeploy flak, I’d say you will not be making any major redeployment of your flak defenses in the game. There simply aren’t enough points being generated in game to allow it. You might move one battalion a turn but even that is damn expensive. And it certainly won’t make any significant change to the at start flak set up across Germany and France.

I did not track where the flak units I clicked on went. I assume it goes to the highest command HQ units support units list and you then will have to pay more political points to deploy it back to map later, but I haven’t confirmed this assumption yet.

Jim
"You want mercy!? I'm chaotic neutral!"

WiTE Scenario Designer
WitW Scenario/Data Team Lead
WitE 2.0 Scenario Designer
cmunson

Post by cmunson »

Sicily is a special case since it is an island. You can move it within the island for 1 pt. That is true everywhere, once a city has a flak unit you can move to another city for only 1pt but you can't move across ocean. If you want to send it back to OKW or other HQ it costs 15pt.

Don't forget to disband any flak units you can't move (there is one on Sardinia also).

Trey is right, the designers wanted flak to be semi-permanent because it has no organic transport. Even 1pt to move from city to city is a lot when you only get 5pts a turn.
Chris
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

Part of the flak AP cost also represents the political cost of telling a town that you are no longer going to defend them - someone else is more important.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”