Fools Rush In Where Angels Fear To Tread: Panjack (A) vs. Q-Ball (J)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

ny59giants

RE: Fools Rush In Where Angels Fear To Tread: Panjack (A) vs. Q-Ball (J)

Post by ny59giants »

Thin green hexside means Allies have a unit in hex (usually alone).
Thick green hexside means Allied unit moved through that hexside. If more than one hexside present, then LCU will retreat in direction that is towards terrain/trail/road that is least costly to move into.

In your last screen shot, you show the two key hexes to defending greater Changsha area are Pingsiang and the hex you may lose. You may need to try to LRCAP the LCU in the clear terrain as Brad will probably try to bomb it to dust.
[center]Image[/center]
Panjack

Post by Panjack »

In your last screen shot, you show the two key hexes to defending greater Changsha area are Pingsiang and the hex you may lose. You may need to try to LRCAP the LCU in the clear terrain as Brad will probably try to bomb it to dust.
Unfortunately, a large portion of the Japanese air force is in China and I've not been able to do much in the air. [:(]
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: Panjack
Unfortunately, a large portion of the Japanese air force is in China and I've not been able to do much in the air. [:(]

It's likely time to move back from all of your forward positions to behind the river. As much as I hate to do that, once he's broken to the clear there he can choose from three hexes to cross ( and deceive you about which way he'll go). It'll be tough to defend any clear hex if he's got complete air superiority and a lot of it there. Even x2 terrain is suspect with daily bombings from 300-400 2E.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Panjack

Post by Panjack »

You mean the line appearing below? I see no way to stop the units coming for the hex SE of Changsha from moving into the clear terrain hex. [:(] I'm moving some of the units on the road to Kukong back as defending in the Kukong are seems senseless once Japan gets into the Changsha valley. And these units are at risk of getting cut off.

Q-Ball is now also moving toward Kweilin. Much of the Japanese army in this part of China pulled back for a couple of weeks, likely rested and rebuilt as necessary, and then returned with concentrated force. This, combined with a continual decline in my supply and relentless bombing, has turned the tide in Southern China.

He is also moving more units into the 2x hex to the east of Sian and is deliberate attacking there every few turns.

Attachments
20141206..25river.jpg
20141206..25river.jpg (137.51 KiB) Viewed 75 times
Sangeli

Post by Sangeli »

Well luckily that hex movement you describe from SE of Changsha to SW of Changsha is a slow one; I believe it will take 8 days for infantry. But as I mentioned earlier I think it is time to prepare the fall to the heavy terrain behind the Changsha basin. The biggest risk I think you face in China right now is a Japanese breakout in the plains that starts marching towards the NW with the ultimate goal of Chungking. The level of success you achieve in China will likely be measured how long you can delay the Japanese from reaching the Chungking basin.

That being said, your line near Kweilin looks OK assuming it is decently manned. I know the Japanese are trying to outflank you with that river crossing but again with that very heavy terrain the off-road movements can be countered if you have sufficient reserves. Maybe it won't hold forever but for now its a good place to stand and fight.
Panjack

Post by Panjack »

As of May 5, 1942
------------------

Aleutians: After grabbing Attu, Amchitka, and Adak at the beginning of the war, Japan hasn't given much attention to this region. Initially, I used CLs to bombard the Japanese-held islands but then Japan countered with CAs. I then countered with BBs (who otherwise didn't have much to do) and have regularly bombarded the Japanese-held islands. I invaded Adak with a Marine rgt a couple of months ago and have units prepping for Attu and Amchitka but I am in no hurry to invade them. I've been sending 2E bombers from Adak to hit Amchitka and started to send Liberators from Umnak to hit Attu. But then Japan brought in fighters to defend Attu. So I've now been sending more BB Bombardment TFs to Attu in response.

Noumea: My buildup of the island has been slowed, first, by numerous (and effective!) Japanese subs and, now by regular visits by Japanese Bombardment TFs that come in waves. At least 6 Japanese BBs and a couple of CAs are involved in these attacks. Occasionally an Air Combat TF with, apparently, CVLs appears in the area, sometimes just hovering just to the North, which keeps by transports away. I'm considering sending in my CVs to established control over the area but, unfortunately, I don't know where the KB is.

Western Oz: Japan still has control of this area. I'm marching a some LCUs up the RR line accompanied by 3 AA units. My goal is to convince Japan to keep more units (LCUs and bombers) in Western Oz than otherwise would be the case and to, I hope, shoot down some Japanese bombers. I've found that the loss of Perth and Diego Garcia hasn't really caused major problems. While transports now trudge all the way from the USA to Oz, the fact that I control all of the relevant transport route means this is no big deal. Japanese sub attacks have been relatively rare outside the immediate area of ports and ASW patrols (sea and plane) have these pretty much in check. I still lose an occasional transport but this is almost always because I get lazy and don't do what is necessary to protect out-of-the-way transport TFs.

India: Japan is now moving to take Patna. I have only a small unit there and the city will fall. I'm drawing a line in the Ganges Valley at Benares. Fighters will be based there and in the city right above it (Allahabad) while bombers will fly out of Cawnpore and Lucknow. I've got about 2 divisions in the area, including the top-quality 7th British Division. Bombay and Karchi have been building up. Bombay is almost up to a level 6 fort while Karchi is moving to a 5 fort. 2500 Av is split between the two cities although this is mostly untrained units.

A couple of days ago, a surface engagement occurred off of Columbo in which I lost a CL and a Japanese CA got hit by a torpedo. I was sending a small bombardment TF to hit Columbo by they were intercepted by the Japanese. I now have a big bunch of ships about 7 hexes away from Columbo which I was sending to bombard the port, but my TF was sighted and I have to assume any transports have skedaddled from the port. I'll let my ships sit there for a turn or two and see if any Japanese BB/CAs (some of which are in the area) come out to meet them.

China: [:(] The Japanese are now in the Changasha Valley and the time has come to establish a new defensive line (the redish lines below). My plan is to leave some units in Changsha itself but to otherwise abandon the Valley. I think I have enough units behind the river (behind the yellow lines) to hold for a bit so that units can move back in good order.

Also bad: Japan's death-star-lite to the east of Sian got a 1-2 battle which crunched my troops. I expect this 2x hex to fall pretty soon. I'm falling back to new positions around Sian in anticipation of the loss of this key hex.
[font="Courier New"]
Ground combat at 86,41 (near Loyang)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 45575 troops, 406 guns, 352 vehicles, Assault Value = 1262

Defending force 51708 troops, 249 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 928

Japanese adjusted assault: 901

Allied adjusted defense: 1005

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
921 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 116 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied ground losses:
2619 casualties reported
Squads: 127 destroyed, 118 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 39 disabled
Engineers: 4 destroyed, 12 disabled
Guns lost 28 (7 destroyed, 21 disabled)

Assaulting units:
12th Tank Regiment
4th Ind.Mixed Brigade
5th Tank Regiment
7th Ind.Mixed Brigade
17th Division
41st Division
59th Infantry Brigade
5th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
7th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
North China Area Army
4th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
Tonei Hvy Gun Regiment
2nd Medium Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
55th Chinese Corps
36th Chinese Corps
76th Chinese Corps
9th Chinese Corps
85th Chinese Corps
38th Chinese Corps
4th Chinese Cavalry Corps
15th Group Army
36th Group Army
[/font]

Attachments
20141209..32china.jpg
20141209..32china.jpg (147.28 KiB) Viewed 75 times
Panjack

Post by Panjack »

As of May 11, 1942
----------------

China: Lots of movement as I'm falling back to a new MLR in south China. Supply continues to get worse and worse.

Aleutians:Four Allied BBs are regularly pummeling Amchitka and Attu. As of now, Japan seems not particularly interested in countering up here.

Noumea: The Japanese BBs and CA that have been bombarding Noumea, and the subs that were sitting nearby, have disappeared. I'm finally able to unload some supply at Noumea, which is good as supply was getting low. About 1.5 divisions-worth of US LCUs should arrive on islands between Pago Pago and Noumea in 10 days or so. Which particular islands have yet to be determined.

Western Oz: Infantry and AA units are trudging along the RR line toward Western Oz. That is a long walk!

India: Japan continues to move slowly up the inland valley below the Himalayas. They've taken Patna and a division has just crossed the Ganges, headed toward either Benares or Gorakhpur.

The KB has not been seen for a long time.
Panjack

Post by Panjack »

As they said in ancient Rome "tempus fugit." Time flies when work gets busy, family comes home for the holidays, and your wife's knee injury requires you become the official family chauffeur often delivering her to work in the morning and picking her up in the evening (fighting LA area traffic).

Be that as it may...

We're up to June 4, 1942.

The Good: after weeks of Japanese bombardment and occasional carrier attacks on Noumea and environs, the Allies have established firm control over that base. Almost 2 divisions worth of infantry have settled into the base along with appropriate support units. We're starting to move up the New Hebrides toward Luganville, which the Japanese hold with a relatively small force. Suva is reasonably well-defended as is Pago Pago. Lots of base forces and support units are streaming into this part of the Pacific.

The Okay: Japan has made only slow progress in India toward was seems to be their goal: Bombay. Japan holds Patna and is building up the airfield at Ranchi. The Allies hold Benares where a 3-level airbase exists. To the north is Cawnpore, which has a 5-level Allied airbase. I've been sweeping Patna and my air units (P-40Es and P-39s) have performed pretty well, generally breaking even or coming out ahead. My bombers still can't hit anything but they are getting experience.

The Okay 2: The new Chinese MLR in southern China is firming up. In a week or so it should be that indicated below. I decided to withdraw from my previous positions before any collapse occurred so that most of my forces would remain in pretty good condition. The MLRs elsewhere in China have remained unchanged from previous months. I’m happy to see that the morale of the now more-experienced Chinese units hold up much better to land and air bombardment. But supply continues to be a major concern.

The Bad and Ugly: I was bombarding the heck out of Japanese-held islands in the Aleutians for more than a month planning on taking back Japanese-held islands. But I did so too long, a rookie error, and then the KB appeared and sunk 2 of my BBs, the Warspite and the Colorado, along with a handful of lessor ships. It could have been worse as I had a handful of APs sitting at Dutch Harbor soon to load up a Marine reg that was going to invade Amchitka Island. But all escaped the overwhelming Japanese CV force.

Attachments
20150101..newmlr.jpg
20150101..newmlr.jpg (140.45 KiB) Viewed 75 times
Panjack

Post by Panjack »

June 5, 1942
-------------

Below is the extent of Japanese advance.

Japan is still pushing ahead in China. As of this date, many Japanese units in China have disappeared from the front lines and, I suppose, are gathering for another concentrated push somewhere.

In India, the Japanese advance has been overland and slow, but another division of Japanese infantry is reported to be moving toward Calcutta. At this point, I really don't see that Bombay is at risk: it has a level 6 fort, 1 million in supplies, 300k in fuel, 400k in resources, and about 1500 AV of units training up. Many of the more experienced LCUs have headed down to meeting the Japanese advance toward Benares (and elsewhere).

Elsewhere, so far as I can tell, Japan is building up rather than expanding. Particularly noteworthy is the lack of aggressive moves in the South Pacific. The Japanese advance down the New Hebrides has stopped at Luganville while in the Gilberts only Tarawa and Tabiteau are occupied by Japanese forces. In addition, Baker Island was never attacked.

Although SigInt reports Japanese troops are preparing to attack Karachi, Socotra, Brisbane, Sydney, and Auckland these attack plans are likely as plausible as the alleged attack by the 9th Border Defense Fortress on Corvallis, OR.

Attachments
Eextent.jpg
Eextent.jpg (128.07 KiB) Viewed 75 times
obvert

Post by obvert »

June 5, 1942
-------------

Japan is still pushing ahead in China. As of this date, many Japanese units in China have disappeared from the front lines and, I suppose, are gathering for another concentrated push somewhere.

In India, the Japanese advance has been overland and slow, but another division of Japanese infantry is reported to be moving toward Calcutta. At this point, I really don't see that Bombay is at risk: it has a level 6 fort, 1 million in supplies, 300k in fuel, 400k in resources, and about 1500 AV of units training up. Many of the more experienced LCUs have headed down to meeting the Japanese advance toward Benares (and elsewhere).
Benares, being in a clear hex, is not such a good place to start your forward defense. If you really want to test your forces against a highly experienced foe who has almost complete dominance of the air at this stage, try somewhere in +3 territory where you can build some forts. Of course in India he'll just go around you, trap the units and slowly grind them up. Much better to sit behind the line of death and wait. Wait. Wait. Wait. Wait.
Elsewhere, so far as I can tell, Japan is building up rather than expanding. Particularly noteworthy is the lack of aggressive moves in the South Pacific. The Japanese advance down the New Hebrides has stopped at Luganville while in the Gilberts only Tarawa and Tabiteau are occupied by Japanese forces. In addition, Baker Island was never attacked.

This is eerily similar to my game. Take some stuff in this central area with minimal force (and don't risk any significant naval ships) to see what the reaction will be like.
Although SigInt reports Japanese troops are preparing to attack Karachi, Socotra, Brisbane, Sydney, and Auckland these attack plans are likely as plausible as the alleged attack by the 9th Border Defense Fortress on Corvallis, OR.
I'm not sure why players try this. He's experienced enough to know that this kind of sigint deception is totally useless. Why would anything prep for Corvallis anyway? So why waste the time?
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Panjack

Post by Panjack »

ORIGINAL: obvert
Benares, being in a clear hex, is not such a good place to start your forward defense. If you really want to test your forces against a highly experienced foe who has almost complete dominance of the air at this stage, try somewhere in +3 territory where you can build some forts. Of course in India he'll just go around you, trap the units and slowly grind them up. Much better to sit behind the line of death and wait. Wait. Wait. Wait. Wait.
I see what you say, and I'll like fall back if too many Japanese head to Benares. So far, Japan seems content to stay back (so far as I can now see) and defend his bases against my bi-weekly sweeps. At this point, the Japanese advance is very slow.
ORIGINAL: obvert
This is eerily similar to my game. Take some stuff in this central area with minimal force (and don't risk any significant naval ships) to see what the reaction will be like.
It's nice to finally have units to use for such things. I'll give it a shot in a bit.
I'm not sure why players try this. He's experienced enough to know that this kind of sigint deception is totally useless. Why would anything prep for Corvallis anyway? So why waste the time?
I figure it is mostly for the amusement value that Q-Ball is doing this. I've "retaliated" by having some units, that are permanently restricted to the US, prep for Tokyo. That will teach him!

Encircled

Post by Encircled »

*reads news that allied players ignore units that prep for Corvallis*

Ha ha! Now I can spring the trap!
Panjack

Post by Panjack »

I must remedy the following oversight!

Attachments
20150105..718woe.jpg
20150105..718woe.jpg (25.53 KiB) Viewed 75 times
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

June 5, 1942
-------------

This perimeter is pretty much similar to what i've done against Erik. I advanced a bit more in India just to find out that, once the japanese advance slows down and stops, you just can't hold the very inner india and youneed to fall back. I strongly suggest you to follow Obvert's counter strategies in India...they worked pretty well and forced me to move back and give almost all my inner conquests back to him by fall 1942
Panjack

Post by Panjack »

Looks like two votes to pull back from Benares. My tentative plan is to make it appear I'll be staying in Benares but be prepared to pull back if lots of Japanese come calling.

Right now I've been launching air attacks on Patna from Benares (sweepers) and Cawporne (night B-17s). The result for today was 30 Japanese fighters destroyed at a cost of 16 Allied fighters (including ops loses). My guys aren't highly experienced but are doing okay so far.

Below are the 9! rounds of attacks on Patna. It looks like initially the losses were even but eventually the Japanese got pooped and starting to lose out and then left the field completely.

Night Air attack on Patna , at 54,30

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 24,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 21

Allied aircraft
B-17D Fortress x 3

No Japanese losses

No Allied losses

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x B-17D Fortress bombing from 20000 feet
Airfield Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb

CAP engaged:
264th Sentai with Ki-45 KAIa Nick (4 airborne, 17 on standby, 0 scrambling)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 20000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 12 minutes

---------------------------------------------

Raid spotted at 24 NM, estimated altitude 24,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 21

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 3

No Japanese losses

No Allied losses

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 20000 feet

CAP engaged:
264th Sentai with Ki-45 KAIa Nick (17 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
17 plane(s) intercepting now.
4 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 12 minutes

Raid spotted at 23 NM, estimated altitude 22,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-45 KAIa Nick x 21

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 3

No Japanese losses

No Allied losses

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 20000 feet

CAP engaged:
264th Sentai with Ki-45 KAIa Nick (21 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
21 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 20000.
Raid is overhead

Morning Air attack on Patna , at 54,30

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid spotted at 47 NM, estimated altitude 22,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 17 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 24
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 21

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 17

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed
Ki-43-Ib Oscar: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 3 destroyed

CAP engaged:
260th Sentai with Ki-43-Ib Oscar (0 airborne, 12 on standby, 6 scrambling)
3 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 20 minutes
15th Ku S-1 with A6M2 Zero (0 airborne, 18 on standby, 0 scrambling)
6 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 20 minutes

Raid detected at 26 NM, estimated altitude 22,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 20
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 13

Allied aircraft
H81-A3 x 23
P-400 Airacobra x 23
P-40E Warhawk x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 4 destroyed
Ki-43-Ib Oscar: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
H81-A3: 1 destroyed
P-400 Airacobra: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
20 x H81-A3 sweeping at 20000 feet
4 x P-40E Warhawk sweeping at 20000 feet
8 x P-400 Airacobra sweeping at 20000 feet

CAP engaged:
260th Sentai with Ki-43-Ib Oscar (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
9 plane(s) not yet engaged, 4 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 18000 and 27000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 24 minutes
15th Ku S-1 with A6M2 Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
19 plane(s) not yet engaged, 1 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 16000 and 26000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 30 minutes

Raid detected at 21 NM, estimated altitude 20,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 8
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 4

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 4

No Japanese losses

No Allied losses

CAP engaged:
3 plane(s) not yet engaged, 1 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 17000 and 23000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 55 minutes
5 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 3 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 18000 and 19000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 123 minutes

Raid detected at 17 NM, estimated altitude 21,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 8
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 4

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ib Oscar: 1 destroyed

No Allied losses

CAP engaged:
1 plane(s) not yet engaged, 3 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 19000 and 25000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 27 minutes
15th Ku S-1 with A6M2 Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 1 scrambling)
4 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 3 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 18000 and 22000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 38 minutes

Raid spotted at 16 NM, estimated altitude 22,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 7
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 2

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 17

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 3 destroyed
Ki-43-Ib Oscar: 1 destroyed

No Allied losses

Aircraft Attacking:
11 x P-40E Warhawk sweeping at 20000 feet

CAP engaged:
2 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 17000 and 20000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 30 minutes
3 plane(s) not yet engaged, 2 being recalled, 2 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 20000 , scrambling fighters between 18000 and 22000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 46 minutes

Raid detected at 29 NM, estimated altitude 26,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 17

No Allied losses

Aircraft Attacking:
17 x P-40E Warhawk sweeping at 20000 feet

Sangeli

Post by Sangeli »

Wow...I'm surprised the USAAF fighters did so well in sweeps! Nicely done!

I would agree with your plan for Benares. I can't see a map of the region but I imagine you would have time to pull back before the Japanese reached you; especially if you can prevent IJA bombers from harassing your retreating units. The biggest concern I have is a para-landing to your rear making retreat impossible; you need counterattack forces (especially tanks) in case they try. Think of Benares as a false front line. Make the Japanese spend time getting ready to take Benares then pull back to more defensible lines when they show their hand.
Panjack

Post by Panjack »

Below is the Benares area. I think the rear is pretty well guarded, and I'm moving a tripwire unit up in front of Benares to make it more likely I see anything coming sooner rather than later. The two closest Japanese airbases have only fighters and nary a bomber. I'm not sure how to read this but this might suggest he's planning to play defense in this area and not really advance up toward Banares. But you never know.

SigInt revealed last turn that "2nd Raiding Regiment is planning for an attack on Calicut." And, I see why: silly me failed to have any units in that coastal base on the rail line. Egads! Looks like he's considering landing (by sea? or can it come in by air?) on this base and then land troops at the level three port. Major opening I gave him there.[:-]

LCUs are moving that way "stat" (and strat), SCTFs have left Bombay headed that way, and 2E bombers are alighting at airbases in the local area. And the 2-level airbase at Trivandrum has 18 older vindicators dive bombers waiting for any ship to be seen nearby.

I've been neglecting the area west of Madras but even before this SigInt I saw this was likely a mistake as holding that area will certainly help the likely future Allied attacks on Ceylon.

Attachments
20150107..sefront.jpg
20150107..sefront.jpg (240.79 KiB) Viewed 75 times
Sangeli

Post by Sangeli »

Below is the Benares area. I think the rear is pretty well guarded, and I'm moving a tripwire unit up in front of Benares to make it more likely I see anything coming sooner rather than later. The two closest Japanese airbases have only fighters and nary a bomber. I'm not sure how to read this but this might suggest he's planning to play defense in this area and not really advance up toward Banares. But you never know.
I think some of those British light bombers come with cameras. Short range but this is the perfect situation where range doesn't matter. Just leave them in recon mode without a target and they will find units within range to recon.
SigInt revealed last turn that "2nd Raiding Regiment is planning for an attack on Calicut." And, I see why: silly me failed to have any units in that coastal base on the rail line. Egads! Looks like he's considering landing (by sea? or can it come in by air?) on this base and then land troops at the level three port. Major opening I gave him there.[:-]

LCUs are moving that way "stat" (and strat), SCTFs have left Bombay headed that way, and 2E bombers are alighting at airbases in the local area. And the 2-level airbase at Trivandrum has 18 older vindicators dive bombers waiting for any ship to be seen nearby.

I've been neglecting the area west of Madras but even before this SigInt I saw this was likely a mistake as holding that area will certainly help the likely future Allied attacks on Ceylon.

Don't worry so much about southern India. You've already lost Ceylon so shipping is already at risk. Southern India doesn't have a lot of industry and its a long ways to Bombay. A Japanese landing at Calicut isn't much a threat if you ask me. Even if an invasion is coming I don't think the best strategy is to fight the Japanese at the coast; force them to march inland.

EDIT: Yes its a staging area for Ceylon but I don't think Southern India is really tenable in the long term for Japan. It's a great place to fight in late 42; better than Ceylon.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Yep, the Lysanders are camera equipped.
Hans

obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Yep, the Lysanders are camera equipped.

Those little guys got me through 42 being able to at least see what was a few hexes away across the front. A word of warning and advice; fly them at max altitude (26k) to do recon. At lower altitudes they get chewed up by flak.

Being used to the Japanese side i began playing the Allies flying all recon at 20k, which is almost required without cameras. With cameras recon is fine up into the 35k area and the results seem good.

Return to “After Action Reports”