Some Questions

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

GARY L

Some Questions

Post by GARY L »

Downloaded Game this Morning

Looks Great

Some Questions

1. How long after an Amphibious Invasion do you leave the Amphibious HQ there before moving it to a Port?

2. How do know where an Amphibious HQ is targeted?

3. How do you attach Support Groups?

Thanks

Gary
RedLancer

RE: Some Questions

Post by RedLancer »

1.  If you don't have an Amph HQ adjacent to a temporary port it will be 'closed' in the next log phase - keep an Amph HQ in situ until you have captured (and repaired) a port to replace it.

2.  The targetted hex is shown on the Amph HQ counter in the Unit Bar on the right.  In F4 mode a line joins the amph HQ to its target.

3.  If your question is about attaching support to Amph HQs then you can only attach Commandos / Rangers and Naval Support Groups.  Ensure your invasion forces have attached support units too.  Sp Units attached to the HHQ of an invasion unit don't participate in the invasion but can support the units after they have landed.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
GARY L

Post by GARY L »

Red Lancer

Thanks

How do you repair Ports

I tried to attach a Commando Unit to an Amphip HQ and did nor see a way to attach

Gary
NotOneStepBack

Post by NotOneStepBack »

In order to repair a port, click on the city name the port is in, and click the port damage level. It will ask you to initiate priority repairs for 1 admin point, and will start repairing.
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

Port repair is automatic but you can prioritise repair.  Select the Port Hex - Access the City Detail screen by clicking the location name in the Gen Info Box (Top Right).  In the Detail screen port damage is shown as a light blue number between 0 - 100.  Click on it - pop up will ask if you want priority repair Y/N - select Y but it does cost 1 x AP.  Make sure you don't have three counters in the port or there will be no space for the construction counter when it automatically arrives.  I'm pretty sure building a depot (also via City Detail Screen) speeds things up a bit too.

Hmmm - I think that the way to do it is access the Commando Unit's Detail screen and attach it to the Amph HQ by selecting the Amph HQ as the HHQ (rather than trying to assign from the Amph HQ.)  Can't check as have not got the game to hand.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

While we're on the subject of repairs, do rail repair units do their work automatically, too? I just moved one onto a damaged rail hex, and I wasn't sure whether I needed to do anything further. Also, is there a priority-repair setting for railroads?
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

The answer is both automatic and manual.  The rail repair units (little spade symbol under XXX) are manual and you can repair each hex at a cost of 1 x MP.  You need to click on the RRC value in the Unit Bar counter symbol when you are in a hex with damaged rail (See one page guide #2) Also HQs will send attached construction units in their command range to repair things including ports and rail.

Don't forget to repair railyards too and not just concentrate on the tracks.  Railyards provide the rolling stock and reduce the cost in SMPs for units moving by rail.  They also effect how much freight can be shipped.  You can set priority repair for railyards but not rail lines.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
SigUp

Post by SigUp »

I don't have WITW, but if it's the same system as in WITE, then you would have to click a button on the unit counter on the right side bar.
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Thanks for the replies. I'll try all those suggestions when I dive back in this afternoon.
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

Im sure I read somewhere here only 1 amph hq is needed to supply 2 temp ports,Licata hex 146,293 and hex 149,294(Sicily).Is this correct?
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

Yes - a temp port needs only to have an adjacent Amph TF so theoretically you could support five temp ports with one Amph TF if the geography works.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

Yep, if you plan your invasion beaches in pairs, you can immediately (=first turn afterwards) withdraw half the amphibs, for use as bombardment support or to plan the the next invasion (=start gaining prep points)
I have a cunning plan, My Lord

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”