Watching webcast reminds me of TOAWIII

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

downtown

Watching webcast reminds me of TOAWIII

Post by downtown »

Hey guys,

Like many of you I always get excited about new releases of games by Mr. Grigsby. Watching the webcast video on youtube, the first thing I was reminded of was TOAW III, and how no matter the AI underneath and the changes in rules and the addition of air and sea movement, the basic UI structure is the same. Moving icons from grid to grid. I played alot of TOAW III in the past and I have WITP:AE, which I played for awhile but have not revisited for awhile. I also have CMANO, which is a wonderful game, and it is taking most of my game playing time lately. The difference between the UI (player interaction) of CMANO vs WITW stands out to me. Not that I won't ever pickup WITW, its just that I will need some convincing to give up my CMANO play, as that game is so vast and the scenarios so many and the database so educational. I will keep abreast of the forums for WITW and see how I feel about purchasing as time goes on.

Old soldiers never die. They just fade away.
morganbj

RE: Watching webcast reminds me of TOAWIII

Post by morganbj »

This like TAOW only in that you push unit counters across a board. I've played WitE for years and since this is the next generation I can say It's unlike TOAW in all other respects.
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
Erik Rutins

RE: Watching webcast reminds me of TOAWIII

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Downtown,

It is indeed a hex-based, turn-based wargame where units are represented by counters on a map which move and fight. However, in reality this is not all that different from Command, it's just that the symbols are different. Whether a turn-based vs. real-time structure suits best depends on what you are modeling. In the scale of game that War in the West is, weekly turns with daily air resolution gives very good realism and fidelity and focuses you on the challenges the higher command levels on each side were dealing with.

War in the West is full of historical value just like Command. Each unit has a historical TO&E down to the individual squad and tank level, and the squadrons have their historical planes as well. Playing this game, as with other excellent wargames, teaches you a lot about history and the challenges the commanders on each side faced.

If you don't mind some complexity and enjoy a realistic portrayal of history and strategy, this is a great game.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”