Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again)

Post accounts of your memorable victories and defeats here for other wargamers to share.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

larryfulkerson

RE: Field Marshal Fogger vs Marshal Fulkerson (again)

Post by larryfulkerson »

Every once in a while I'll see a unit spawn in what I assume is Sycily. There's no way to get them back to friendly lines
so I've been disbanding them. It doesn't help anything........they just respawn again just to get disbanded again.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (232.16 KiB) Viewed 691 times
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Just out of curiosity I looked into the vehicle prognostication of one of my recon units and it appears that it won't be fullly staffed
until after turn 150+ or thereabouts. So I should probably be gentle with it until then.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (336.24 KiB) Viewed 691 times
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Here's some of my losses so far. Pretty heavy losses from what I can tell. The fighting must be fierce.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (269.66 KiB) Viewed 691 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Here's my air losses so far. Very heavy losses for the short distance we've run......I mean it's only T37 already and I've lost about
half the fleet so far. Maybe I should ease up on them. Take 'em off-line when they get down to 60% and let them rest until they are
100% again. Something like that. And those very low proficiency units.....maybe ship them to Moscow to do staff duty or something.

EDIT: Quite a few of the squadrons were sitting on two-dot attacks. I've decided to move everybody to one-dot attacks to cut down
on the number of losses somewhat. I'm hoping that the CS missions will fly more than one time because there's a lot of attacks to
cover each round. I'm using the attack planner to assign some dedicated CS every once in a while on the more important attacks
to boost the chances. Every little bit helps.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (41.14 KiB) Viewed 691 times
cohimbra

Post by cohimbra »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
Every once in a while I'll see a unit spawn in what I assume is Sycily.
Hi Larry, I think this is Brindisi port, located in Puglia. [;)] This scenario is sooo huge, you're crazy people...but I like it! Now I return to lurking in the shadow, maybe soon or later I take the plunge with TOAW. Have a good battles.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: cohimbra
ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
Hi Larry, I think this is Brindisi port, located in Puglia. [;)] This scenario is sooo huge, you're crazy people...but I like it! Now I return to lurking in the shadow, maybe soon or later I take the plunge with TOAW. Have a good battles.
Hey There cohimbra dude. Thanks for posting. I was wondering if anybody was reading this thing. Yeah, Puglia.......why didn't I think
of that? Actually, I had no idea about that part of the world. I don't get out much.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Good job Larry. In Italy years ahead of the U.S. and Commonwealth. Now on to Rome and Berlin. [:D]
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I think this is Brindisi port, located in Puglia.

Next time you open this one in the editor, you can try moving the supply point at 17,272 to a location farther away, maybe 1,299.

But the situation does raise a few questions, and I don't know if Ron is still around to answer them. Italy is Soviet controlled at start, and there are RAF planes stationed there. Huh ? And the supply point at 17,272 is for both sides. Huh ? I don't know the reasons for this, but it might be ok to remove the RAF and supply points all together to avoid the reconstitution issue. And to avoid any whacky editor issues, don't remove the RAF units, rather to take them off the map and set them to arrive on turn 500 so they never come into play.

[If I remember correctly, FitE was originally intended to have a larger scope, and the Italian Theater may have been part of that which fell by the wayside but was inadvertantly left in play.]
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
I think this is Brindisi port, located in Puglia.
Next time you open this one in the editor, you can try moving the supply point at 17,272 to a location farther away, maybe 1,299.

But the situation does raise a few questions, and I don't know if Ron is still around to answer them. Italy is Soviet controlled at start, and there are RAF planes stationed there. Huh ? And the supply point at 17,272 is for both sides. Huh ? I don't know the reasons for this, but it might be ok to remove the RAF and supply points all together to avoid the reconstitution issue. And to avoid any whacky editor issues, don't remove the RAF units, rather to take them off the map and set them to arrive on turn 500 so they never come into play.

[If I remember correctly, FitE was originally intended to have a larger scope, and the Italian Theater may have been part of that which fell by the wayside but was inadvertantly left in play.]
If I recall correctly there is at least one event to do the spawning of the Lend Lease stuff. But I can see fixing that supply point
thing at 17,272 by just removing it. I'd inform Ron about it but I don't know his screen name or his last name or his email address
or anything at all actually, about him. I seem to recall having an email conversation with him at least once but I don't remember what
was said or anything else about it. I'm in favor of letting somebody else modify this bad boy because I don't plan on seeing it ever
again for any reason since FITE2 has come out and I'm working on TGW to replace it. I'm playtesting TGW as we speak.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Here's a zoomed-up view of the northern front. I'm starting to hold my own and in some places the Soviets are
counterattacking. I don't anticipate a lot of action on this front because of the rugged terrain and all the natural
defensive positions to be had between here and Leningrad. I'm wondering if I might be able to strip this front of
all the unemployed, if any, to rail them south to take advantage of my momentary par in manpower at the front
now. I'm starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel. I feel like the game is changing and the Soviets
might even have an even chance now. At least for the winter months. Next spring is going to be rough.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (397 KiB) Viewed 691 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Here's some of the ground losses so far: I'm not seeing any of the numbers zoom except for the losses column. At least I'm
glad I'm making almost 700 Rifle Squads each turn because I'm losing about that many at least each turn. But the Axis is
having some losses too and I'm trying to find those places where I can get more than one attacker on each target hex and
avoid suicide attacks etc. and still the losses are high.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (42.73 KiB) Viewed 691 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I've had a better look at this turn's losses compared w/ last turn and the losses are more like 2K Rifle Squads per turn.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (65.57 KiB) Viewed 691 times
nilgirip

Post by nilgirip »

These AARs are my alternate history classes. Love 'em. Keep it up.

fogger

Post by fogger »

Have got Larry's turn back and am looking over the entire front. The main activity is in the centre where I have 2 pockets surrounded with a total of approx 11+ divisions and Larry has pocket part of 2 panzer divisions. Most of my army is in & out of reorg at present which makes it hard to plan. My units are pinned against a river but I have a number of bridging units in the area so if they come out of reorg I may be able to save them.

Attachments
turn39.gif
turn39.gif (461.29 KiB) Viewed 691 times
Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.
fogger

Post by fogger »

I am going to have to start clearing my rear areas. This is the third time that a unseen by passed unit has come to life. I am luckily that I had a couple of units near by.

Attachments
turn39.gif
turn39.gif (419.53 KiB) Viewed 691 times
Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.
fogger

Post by fogger »

Have just my file to Larry. Not much to report this turn. I am digging in and recovering any hexes that I may have been pushed out of but Larry was unable to advance into. The southern pocket in the centre has been reduced to 1 Inf division. Clearing the other pocket has improved my supply lines.

I am also finding that some of my air units are always reverting to "Sea Interdiction". Not sure why as I am playing with the "air staff assistant" off.

Attachments
turn40.gif
turn40.gif (464.63 KiB) Viewed 691 times
Thought for the day:
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Here's some of my ground losses so far: Very heavy losses and it looks like it's going to continue for the forseeable future.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (263.2 KiB) Viewed 691 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Here's the front lines in T40: And the front lines aren't moving all that much if at all except in the far south where the
Soviets are pushing back the Axis forces and it looks like the Soviets might even take back all the Crimea. I'm railing
a lot of forces to the south in order to be ready to pursue when the rivers freeze over and all of a sudden the Axis
might just be outnumbered temporarily and that would be to my advantage if that happened. And then we can all be
home for Christmas.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (477 KiB) Viewed 691 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Here's my T40 view of the area of the pockets. The pocket I'm trying to save is in the lower left of the image. This image is me at the
end of the movement phase as I go through all the units in the OOB in that order setting those who are ready to attack and to rest
those that are tired. I'm trying to shoot for about 90% supply levels in the units so that their readiness stays high. The proficiency
of my units is low and the losses are therefore high but the Germans are losing some people too. The front line is moving very slowly
in some spots and is at a stand still in others. But the fighting is fierce all over the map. I'm even pushing back in the far north. I've
railed some people up there to help out but it's mostly stable there. I'm hoping to make some kind of breakthrough in the far south
to make the front line even longer for the Axis because I think maybe I have more units now than he does. So the longer front line would
work to my advantage in the long run. Maybe.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (412.87 KiB) Viewed 691 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Have I shown you guys how the air war is going right now lately? I'm optimistic that the air war is going to turn around and
that soon the Soviets might slowly gain air superiority for the rest of the war. That would be pretty cool if I could pull it off.
I'm not sure we're there yet because I'm guessing John has retired the Axis aircraft because of the bad weather or something.
I'm thinking he's holding back on us.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (365.78 KiB) Viewed 691 times

Return to “After Action Reports”