Oddly Slow Game Performance Good Laptop..

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

twinkypillow

Oddly Slow Game Performance Good Laptop..

Post by twinkypillow »

Hey Guys, I've been playing this game way way too much..

have the latest patch.. Copied my game folder over to a Ram Drive disk (playing this game on a 2gig ramdrive using my ram only)

I am playing pirate and i'm having some real sluggish issues.. zooming in and out is slow and jerky.. and even when a few ships warp into my system and start to fight my 50 fleet ship with fighters causes the computer game to slow down a lot.. it's kinda getting annoying..

is this a known issue or is there performance settings i need to have set in the game?

I've tried capping and uncapping the framerate.. what is it supposed to be on for highest performace? "unlimmited?"

I also have nebuala settings on low etc.. no stars etc..

what gives?

my specs are:

i7 quad core 2.4hz (4700mq)
16gig Ram 1600ddr3l
250gig Samsung Evo (but i play distant worlds on a ram drive not the EVo!)
Nvidia 755m 2gig memory vid card..
win 8.1 updated 64bit latest..

uh.. anybody else see any reason why i'm struggling to play distant worlds smoothly?? 10x10system pirate classic shadows game..

what gives?? i can't do anything else but overclock my system and i dont need to.. it has turboboost up to 3.4hz if i remember correctly.. (although i may have turned that off..)

Attachments
distantworlds.jpg
distantworlds.jpg (143.84 KiB) Viewed 108 times
Jeeves

RE: Oddly Slow Game Performance Good Laptop..

Post by Jeeves »

It's the fighters/bombers flying around and shooting that are a problem. They are very fast and shoot fast. Every time the fighter or bomber moves a little bit, the picture gets updated, and the beams and missiles of the fighters cause updates too as they progress towards the target. What I see in the screenshot is a SWARM of fighters. THAT is the problem. I don't build carriers much because of that and the fact that deployed fighters/bombers increase game file size...

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

Would really like to know the specs needed for DW, the goalposts got moved in Shadows, Legends was the last one that ran smoothly for me, I have even downgraded to a 400 10x10 from a 1400 15x15 and still the slowdown creeps in from midgame onwards, saves take longer for every game year that passes. I am upping to an i7 quad core with hyper-threading in the hope that I can go back to playing a 1400 15x15 as I did in Legends.

Now that things have quietened down a bit I just wish Elliot would put a few things back as they were, like population growth (it is more or less broken at present) and the area effect weapons (which are most definitely broken / boring).

I can but hope [:)]

Darkspire
twinkypillow

Post by twinkypillow »

Darkspire this is for you..

check this screen out.. look at my processor.. and active cores.. 1? 15% use of cpu??

I have an i7 4700mq and this game still lags and gives me crap while zooming in and out and diplomacy screen delay lag.. etc.. .. played on a ram disk on top of that!!.. 10x10 map 700 stars.. age of shadows playing currently.. what a joke.. i think it's non-optimal coding..

i dont think you'll see much speed ... i'm certainly not.. i mean it's playable of course.. but i expect more from the system i'm on..

Attachments
distantwor..enchmark.jpg
distantwor..enchmark.jpg (145.95 KiB) Viewed 108 times
Flinkebeinchen

Post by Flinkebeinchen »

Maybe its because DW can only use one core? Dunno if its capable of utilizing every core. At last looking at your picture it shows only one core active..?

Ah and I am not sure but maybe DW uses the build in gpu from your i7? You have to check if your video card work only with fullscreen apps. DW uses a borderless Window afaik.
twinkypillow

Post by twinkypillow »

hey flinkebeinchen,

I am pretty sure this is a Lenovo issue.. some companies like Loserovo, put high strict thermal and throttling on their computers.. i have one of those.. I'm sure with the heat of the nvida card and the i7 it starts to limit.. it's got to be that..

i mean something is bottle necking.. i just can't figure out what..

by the way i did try playing distant worlds with my built-in Intel HD graphics and it ran normal and did the same kinda jumpiness and lag like the nvidia.. i will say it might have been a hair better.. but still i shouldn't see lag and choppiness zooming in and out.. unless this is a game coding issue..

i should put up a video to show you.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”