Benchmark specs for Distant Worlds Universe

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

twinkypillow

Benchmark specs for Distant Worlds Universe

Post by twinkypillow »

I7 quad core (4700mq)
16gig DDR3L Ram
Samsung 840 Evo 250gig

game is played on a ram disk of 2046 ram though..

my details.. 1 core active? I want to see all 4 cores being used!

my laptop appears full speed ahead but still lag and choppiness.. come on guys.. get the code together! hehe..

Attachments
distantwor..enchmark.jpg
distantwor..enchmark.jpg (145.95 KiB) Viewed 147 times
zakblood

RE: Benchmark specs for Distant Worlds Universe

Post by zakblood »

are you overclocking you cpu? as your temps are quite high

google can overclocking a cpu cause lag in games, as you may be surprised to learn or not that it can, as i have no problem with the game regarding lag or frame per second either and have the same setup almost..

have you tried to down clock the cpu a bit?

increase the size of the ram disk, and what program do you use for it?

what drivers and card are you using?

have you tried another bench test program as well?

try Memtest 86+ & CPU-Z & Prime 95

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
twinkypillow

Post by twinkypillow »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

are you overclocking you cpu? as your temps are quite high

DEFINITELY NOT.. so thats interesting.. I think this is just the lenovo laptop.. running hot.. i'm also using an nvidia 755m to play this game i'm sure thats causing it to get hot too yeah?
google can overclocking a cpu cause lag in games, as you may be surprised to learn or not that it can, as i have no problem with the game regarding lag or frame per second either and have the same setup almost..

what setup do you have?? I'm a lenovo y410p i7 quad 2.4ghz.. 16gig ram , 840evo, nvidia 755m/intel hd4600
have you tried to down clock the cpu a bit?

increase the size of the ram disk, and what program do you use for it?
have you tried another bench test program as well?

try Memtest 86+ & CPU-Z & Prime 95

I didnt' downclock yet.. i don't know how far to downclock..
by the way, I'm using the latest Intel utility for actual intel cpu.. i would hope they know their own products so i wanted to use their clocking utility...

i could try memtest.. and cpuz.. never tried prime 95.. but what will that tell me that I kinda don't already know??

maybe i should make a video to show you the lag i'm talking about.. it may be the common "zooming" in and out lag which i've read about when there is a lot on the screen..

but my biff is that my cpu only goes to 15% and never more for this game.. what gives? its like the game doens't want to use more or my computer limits ...

oh and i use Primo ramdisk standard to make a 2046 ramdrive for distant worlds..

twinkypillow

Post by twinkypillow »

Figured out what was going on with my tempatures!!

Ok my cpu clock speed is a constant 3.2.. it never goes down..

I went into my advanced power options in windows high performance power plan settings - and then turned my "Max state processor" to 99%.

if i leave it at 100% my processor is using turbo boost all the time.. i dont know why.. this definitely seems like a flaw.. something is wrong.. but anyway turning to 99% put my cpu clock speed down to 2.39.. which my i7 is 2.4ghz speed so it makes sense completly..

I don't know why turbo boost is kicked in at all times when i'm on 100% but that is why i was running somewhat high temperatures..

So this is important for me and other who may have a computer that throttles or has low thermal restrictions to lower the computer causing lagging and slow choppiness etc.. (cough.. stupid lenovo...)

So now i'm running Cpu Stress tests and getting only as high as 67C .. for short bursts anyway..

of course i'm not at 3.2ghz either though..

so the only thing i'm a little concerned with is why my pc doesn't speed down the clock while idle and i'm not doing anything.. it sits at a constant 3.2ghz.. all the time..
Miyuki

Post by Miyuki »

Ok, where to start...

First, this game doesnt use GPU at all. It's all CPU based.

Second, do you understand the difference between a 32 bit and 64 bit application? This game will never use more than 1 core because it's not written to utilize 64bit.

Third, since it's a 32 bit application, any ram over 4 GB is pointless.

Any modern gaming computer can fairly play 10x10 700 star map without much issue late game - tho over 800 ships in 1 area, especially if there is combat can chug a lot.

Unfortunately anything larger than this is not possible with current equipment.
Miyuki

Post by Miyuki »

ORIGINAL: pumkinfacer22

Figured out what was going on with my tempatures!!

Ok my cpu clock speed is a constant 3.2.. it never goes down..

I went into my advanced power options in windows high performance power plan settings - and then turned my "Max state processor" to 99%.

if i leave it at 100% my processor is using turbo boost all the time.. i dont know why.. this definitely seems like a flaw.. something is wrong.. but anyway turning to 99% put my cpu clock speed down to 2.39.. which my i7 is 2.4ghz speed so it makes sense completly..

I don't know why turbo boost is kicked in at all times when i'm on 100% but that is why i was running somewhat high temperatures..

So this is important for me and other who may have a computer that throttles or has low thermal restrictions to lower the computer causing lagging and slow choppiness etc.. (cough.. stupid lenovo...)

So now i'm running Cpu Stress tests and getting only as high as 67C .. for short bursts anyway..

of course i'm not at 3.2ghz either though..

so the only thing i'm a little concerned with is why my pc doesn't speed down the clock while idle and i'm not doing anything.. it sits at a constant 3.2ghz.. all the time..

Wow, 67c? Are you using a stock HSF?

Having turbo on is fine so long as your cooling solution is good. If you are using the stock HSF tho, I would recommend doing some research into after-market HSF and good quality thermal paste.
twinkypillow

Post by twinkypillow »

ORIGINAL: Miyuki

Ok, where to start...

First, this game doesnt use GPU at all. It's all CPU based.

Ok I would hope I got that covered, I don't have the latest greatest most expensive.. but I only have an i7quad 2.4ghz4 (3.4ghz turboboost) (4700mq)..
Second, do you understand the difference between a 32 bit and 64 bit application? This game will never use more than 1 core because it's not written to utilize 64bit.

Ok got that.. so that only tells me what a mistake not making this game 64 bit is when they knew especially it would be only cpu-based.. and have thousands upon thousands of ships with 11+ empires all with thousands of freighters and ships all needing calculations.. yeah..ok..
Any modern gaming computer can fairly play 10x10 700 star map without much issue late game - tho over 800 ships in 1 area, especially if there is combat can chug a lot.

Unfortunately anything larger than this is not possible with current equipment.

so you think they didn't calculate that within atleast 2 or less years of in-game gameplay there wouldn't be 800 ships in 1 area? well for one .. just look at the shakturi.. ever seen their homeworld when they build up? maybe they don't have 800 ships but when i take 200 just to try to attack them.. and they have what they have.. etc.. plus freighters and all the other ships just flying around..

anyway the point is, if the code/framework isn't good for these kind of (this game ain't even graphic-based as you say) gameplay (thousands of ships calculations) then time for a new game engine..

ever played a game (much older than distant worlds by the way) called cossacks? or how about Supreme commander?? or even total war rome II? (ofcourse that game has many bugs that prevent it from being pretty smooth though..) but it can be done..

having said all this, i do love distant worlds and continue to keep playing it.. but if a game isn't going to be a graphics intense game, then it better be able to handle some 800 2D-flat pictures running around the screen my god man!

check these out..
http://youtu.be/9yulcUha35Y

http://youtu.be/wAPp_l230yE

--by they way, now i'm off to play distant worlds universe on my ramdisk drive.. only to be lagged because of the coding/engine.. i guess...
Nanaki

Post by Nanaki »

Multithreading and multicores are entirely different things. A 32-bit program can be multithreaded which enables it to use multiple cores, while a 64-bit app can be only single thread which means that it can only use one core.

Depends. In a 32-bit enviornment, a 32-bit application will not use over 2 GB of RAM. In a 64-bit enviornment, if the 32-bit application has LAA enabled (and most nowadays do), then it will utilise up to 4 GB of RAM. However even more than 4 GB is still useful because your Operating System and background applications also use memory.

When I speak of enviornment, there are three things to take into account. Hardware, which is normally not an issue since 64-bit has been around since the Pentium 4/Athlon 64 days. Operating system, which is a bit more of a factor as 32-bit operating systems are still very common.
I ate the batter of the bulge at Hans' Haus of Luftwaffles
twinkypillow

Post by twinkypillow »

OK well, learning and knowing about 32bit or 64bit is wonderful however, It would be nice if Distant Worlds Universe took advantage of it as it appears it doesn't is what i get out of this..

I have an i7 quad core 4700mq.. geforce 755m, 16gig DDR3L 1600mhz ram.. 840 EVO SSD, and the point is there can't be and should be any bottlenecks in my system..

why am i getting slighty sluggish play on distant worlds? i mean it's really not bad at all but 25 carriers with 4 fighter bays causes distant worlds to lag? whats the deal?

How do i check to see if LAA is on for this so it can use 4 gigs of ram?? which is really funny becuase I even play from a ramdisk..

anyway, they figured it out with games like supreme commander and many other games that have 1000 of units on screen same time and definitely playable with no lag..

Return to “Tech Support”