Scuttling ships

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

spence

Scuttling ships

Post by spence »

What is the damage threshold for scuttling a ship?

Also, what damage threshold prevents a ship from becoming "ready"?

The reasons I ask is that I had a ship stuck damaged in Singapore in the early game (with around 85 sys, around 50 flt and some engine) that was scheduled to withdraw. (I understand that a ship which is in any repair mode will take 3 days to get ready). Since escape from the port was unlikely I wanted to scuttle the ship but that was not allowed. It would seem that logically it should be possible to scuttle a ship that is in such a situation (to deprive the enemy of full value for the sinking).

The second question revolves around some BBs in PH that went into stood down mode but now seem unable to actually get back to readiness status so that they might attempt to get back to the West Coast for repair (freeing up PH). Is there an extended time frame for getting ready for sea for damaged ships and if so what is that time frame (sorta relates to the first question too)?
crsutton

RE: Scuttling ships

Post by crsutton »

spence, I am not sure the threshold but if I recall the flotation has to be near or at 90 to be able to scuttle a ship. You will not withdraw that ship in time and the PP costs are a monster. Quite frankly, there are some times when it just pays to notify your opponent of your dilemma and then sail it into harms way so that he can sink it for you.

As for your BBs in Pearl. I suspect that you left upgrade to "yes" for them and they started an upgrade while under repair. They can do that and at times it is the most efficient way as upgrades occur concurrently with repairs. However, once a ship starts an upgrade you then can not move it to ready status until the upgrade is complete. Otherwise you should be able to move any ship no matter how damaged to ready status.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

A way to get rid of a ship that's due to withdraw but has too much damage to do so, is run it at flank speed for as long as it takes... given already extensive flotation damage, it is bound to drive itself right into Davy Jone's Locker.... The problem with this method is your opponent gets full victory points, where I believe if you scuttle, the opposition only gets half the victory points for your loss.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

A way to get rid of a ship that's due to withdraw but has too much damage to do so, is run it at flank speed for as long as it takes... given already extensive flotation damage, it is bound to drive itself right into Davy Jone's Locker.... The problem with this method is your opponent gets full victory points, where I believe if you scuttle, the opposition only gets half the victory points for your loss.

Scuttling only recovers 10% of the VPs otherwise gained by the opposition. Section 17.0
The Moose
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Scuttling only recovers 10% of the VPs otherwise gained by the opposition. Section 17.0

Which means that scuttling is really only worthwhile for a ship of substantial value.

Hard to see the value in scuttling anything worth less than 10 VPs.

Hans

dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Oppsss sorry about that.
spence

Post by spence »

The ship in question was the Dominion Monarch. It's worth 35 VPs. It starts the game in Singapore undergoing an engine overhaul (apparently since it has 20 engine damage). It is allergic to 250kg bombs. It has to withdraw in 02/02/42.

With a top speed of 7 kts or so, stuck in a port 2000 miles or so from any withdrawal port, and over 80 sys damage scuttling seemed the logical thing to do. It is not apparently due to any upgrade which would put it in the same sort of position as the PH BBs but having been put into repair mode of some sort due to its initial damage and then having been hit in port it seemed I couldn't even get it out of repair mode.

I know that the game progressed for more than 3 days to get to readiness but in any case but it finally did get to readiness so I put it in a TF and hoped the Japanese would sink it before I had to start paying the political point cost for failing to withdraw that particular ship. After all the worry it just sank on its own though...the Japanese never even attacked it...just the next turn it wasn't there any more.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

You could have withdrawn from Colombo. Is that 2000 miles? Have to get the sys damage under 50%.
The Moose
spence

Post by spence »

Have to get the sys damage under 50%.

Kinda hard to do with only 12 days to do it.

BTW I only guessed at the distance from Singapore to Colombo. Long ways at 1 hex per turn though...I suppose it would have run out of fuel and accumulated damage to the point of sinking eventually. But that presupposes that I could get the ship to sea...for what seemed like the longest time it just sat there greyed out insofar as putting it into any TF.

Sitting in port neither repairing nor getting ready for sea while meantime costing PPs every turn was not a nice thing to contemplate.

But in the end it sank on its own so I won't lose my PPs after all.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: spence

The second question revolves around some BBs in PH that went into stood down mode but now seem unable to actually get back to readiness status so that they might attempt to get back to the West Coast for repair (freeing up PH). Is there an extended time frame for getting ready for sea for damaged ships and if so what is that time frame (sorta relates to the first question too)?

If you change a ship from one of the stood down repair modes to Readiness, it takes 2-3 days to get the ship ready to go again. During that time the ship will show up in the list of ships disbanded, but in a different color. If the ship started an upgrade while under repair, you can't change the repair mode to Readiness until the upgrade is done.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”