Falkland 78

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

tommo8993

RE: Falkland 78

Post by tommo8993 »

A few glitches:
1. for some reason any A-4s that take off from the Argentine carrier automatically reassign themselves to the land base, thus they bingo very early.
2. The new cruiser C-5 for some reason keeps freezing due to a glitch with the fuel
sprsc

Post by sprsc »

Thanks tommo8993.

I have attached revised scenario which takes into account your comments.

The C-5 cruiser had a very low fuel store, I have got round this by making C5 the same as the General Belgrano - a fudge but it works

The Skyhawks on the carrier were incorrectly assigned to strikes from the land base, this caused the bingo issue. I have sorted that too.

Cheers SPRSC

SEE LATER POST
tommo8993

Post by tommo8993 »

A few more things:

Argentina only had 1 type 42 in 1978, the Hercules

HMS Churchill is pretty much useless in this scenario, ive played RN about 4 times, only ever sunk 1 ship.

Some Argentine planes never get within striking distance, especially when the AI is involved.

Some flavour notes:
Maybe add a few more civilian ships in the amphib group.
Maybe move the Fearless and Sir Lancelot to the amphib group.

Also I would recommend changing the f-4s to the heavy loadout given the large amount of Argentine Aircraft.
sprsc

Post by sprsc »

Thanks for your further suggestions. Hopefully, you found it challenging.

Latest attached with many of your suggestions included. The Argentine Northern Armada will miss the Type 42 destroyer!
Attachments
Falklands 1978 V18.zip
(134.04 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
sprsc

Post by sprsc »

Hi again - I have added some munitions to the magazines of the carriers! Might help with more than one sortie.

Latest attached. Other posts above have pictures for main assets.

Cheers...
Attachments
Falklands1978V19.zip
(137.5 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Flankerk

Post by Flankerk »

Tried as Royal Navy, its interesting but needs quite a few adjustments am afraid.
The biggest by far is Ark Royal has barely enough ammo to keep your air patrols active for long. its a long scenario and I think I'd lost all CAP by the first few hours. The Phantom's were OK just sat on the deck with no available air to air missiles.
I managed one Buccaneer strike on the CV which may have sunk given time.
Stanley is named Group 940 or something like that, just needs renaming.
All aircraft I think are available rather than some in reserve?
The civilian side doesn't move I don't think?
The Argentine ships probably need paths plotted to get through the channel, they wandered off and got caught up near the landing zone.

With a few adjustments this is a good what if scenario with some unusual forces available.

"Alas poor Yorick,I knew him Horatio"

#1 Quote of the Harpoon Community.
tommo8993

Post by tommo8993 »

Maybe also have the Argentines in two task forces rather than 3 as happened in real life. Also and Idea for another scenario, Falklands 1984. Essentially only 1 carrier HMS Illustrious and no LPD's or Royal Marines, it would of been a slaughter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_Defence_White_Paper
ojms

Post by ojms »

Plus in 1984 I would assume the Argentines would have had more SuperEs and Exocet available!
sprsc

Post by sprsc »

Hi All, thanks for your comments. I have picked up on Flankerk's suggestions.

Latest adjusted scenario attached, triggered me in to learning about reserves/maintenance. I have just bought a 2nd hand copy of Janes All the Worlds Warships circa 1986-87 for £10 off ebay. Very informative. I recommend you get one similar yourselves!

Re 1984 - good point. RN would have had more seawolf equipped ships but air cover would have been poor and the results may well have been catastrophic for the RN.
Attachments
Falklands1978V22.zip
(138.47 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Flankerk

Post by Flankerk »

Struggling as RN to be truthful.
Try as I might I couldn't get Churchill to get in an attack, its shallow water and the straight runners are to say the least difficult.
The big issue though is with the air war. I sank the CV and the combat air patrols were fine for a bit. However there aren't that many Phantom's and the turn round time looks to be two hours.
That meant that for long periods I had no aircraft up at all.
I then was hit by large waves of strike aircraft and soon was relying on guns. To all intents and purposes the battle was then lost.

Not sure what others have found? On the face of it an easy win for Argentine side.

sprsc

Post by sprsc »

Yes it is tricky as RN. Protect the Ark Royal head away from the Argentina threat (at first). Churchill yes - ineffective I agree. Indeed, generally subs seem prone to easy detection and destruction in this simulator. I wonder if surface forces / air forces have a bias?
Flankerk

Post by Flankerk »

Definitely no bias!
Churchill is in an awkward area and its probably too shallow to effect a decent attack. Are the Mk8 loadouts correct?
Assume she'd have some guided torpedoes at that stage.
In command for most subs they can get in an undetected attack, but then need to clear out once fired. This seems spot on.
To lessen the chance of detection at launch you'd need to attack with the layer between or have the quiet launch type tubes.

sprsc

Post by sprsc »

I take your point! No bias...

I'll try moving the sub into deeper water and see if it has a better chance. I just tried the brilliant scenario "Hold the Line". Really trick but I just made it. Here too, lots of subs and apart from missile attacks not much success - for me :-)
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Is this ready for release?
sprsc

Post by sprsc »

Hi - yes I believe so.
Sensei.Tokugawa

Post by Sensei.Tokugawa »

You really need to edit Argentinian Ventico de Mayo first - magazine loadouts show as its organic weapons in the weapon tab.
"-What if one doesn't make it?
-Then we know he was no good for SpetsNaz. ..."
V. Suvorov, "Spetsnaz;the Story behind the Soviet SAS"

...No escape from Passchendaele .../ God Dethroned, "Passiondale"

sprsc

Post by sprsc »

Hi all, I have made a few minor changes including adding some additional load outs to the Argentinian Carrier. Also replayed the scenario with the latest version of Command - new version is excellent. Well done developers, great product gets better with every version.
Attachments
Falklands 1978 V24.zip
(141.7 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Sensei.Tokugawa

Post by Sensei.Tokugawa »

In the latest version I am still getting the Argentinian carrier with A/A loadouts, check the .jpeg file I am attaching below. According to the game database it's supposed to have only some organic A/A guns - no guided missiles, no chaffs and definitely no bombs.
Attachments
VeinticincodeMayo.jpg
VeinticincodeMayo.jpg (255.6 KiB) Viewed 114 times
"-What if one doesn't make it?
-Then we know he was no good for SpetsNaz. ..."
V. Suvorov, "Spetsnaz;the Story behind the Soviet SAS"

...No escape from Passchendaele .../ God Dethroned, "Passiondale"

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”