What are you playing right now?

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

larryfulkerson

What are you playing right now?

Post by larryfulkerson »

I thought it might be fun to start a thread where we get to see how many people are still playing TOAW. The idea is to post something
about the game you are currently playing. I predict that there are still people out there playing TOAW and a lot of them are lurking
on this forum and haven't posted anything yet. Feel free to tell us what you're playing.

As for me, I'm playtesting my version of the Pacific At War that was originally produced April 10, 2002 by Thomas Harvey. I understand
that Thomas is working on an updated version and I would like to say thanks to Thomas on his willingness to update this great game.
I've found a few things that needed adding for the ver. 3.6 TOAW and I'm seeing how it's working so far. The image below is the Allied
turn 2 and Manila is about to fall and I'm marching south to Singapore and I'm grabbing bases in the Celebes. Guadacanall is in Jap
hands and the Japs are moving south down the island chain from Rabaul. It's still in the early game phase so each side still has a
substantial sized fleet to threaten with and there have been no naval battles of note yet. There was no Pearl Strike in the game because
I didn't feel like exposing my Jap carriers with getting there and not being able to zip out of there again before the Allied might starts to
wake up. It's fairly exciting playing the Jap side. I'm actually playing both sides only because I don't have an opponent to test it out
with as I'm using the 3.6 version of TOAW for this playtest. Necessarily.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (188.15 KiB) Viewed 218 times
Vet to another vet: "When I get home I'm going to make love with the wife and then set the luggage down and close the door."
Templer_12

Red Zone Action

Post by Templer_12 »

I play varied. Many games out there are fun.
But I regularly return to TOAW III .
For me, TOAW III is simply the best strategy game ever developed - period! [:)]

Continuously, as a football fan, I play a great and free football manager simulation named Red Zone Action.
You can find it here: -> Red Zone Action
shunwick

RE: Red Zone Action

Post by shunwick »

Currently playing Red Storm Rising by Alain James versus the NATO PO and World War II Another Way by Ben Turner hotseat.

I have a couple of pbfds on the go but they are on hold at the moment because my mate is hospital.

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
Falcon1

RE: What are you playing right now?

Post by Falcon1 »

Right now most of my gaming time is spent on:

Steel Panthers World at War
Master of Orion 2
Neverwinter Nights

TOAW3 still is in the mix, but I would play it a lot more if I could find a monitor resolution that works well for me. I run my PC with a 24in monitor at 1366x768. If I move up to 1600x900 then text is too small for me to see clearly. At 1366x768, using huge icons it is too big because barely any of the map fits on the screen at once. Using the large icons is just a little too small. This is the setting I usually use but after not too long I get a headache from squinting to see the details of the counters.
tcarusil

Post by tcarusil »

Playing TOAW mostly. Wouldn't it make a nice Christmas present from Matrix to get TOAW 3.XX out, or at least some encouraging news.

With the sale starting might look for something else. Looking at Forge of Freedom, Command Ops or Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue.

Or, I could take up Combat Command which has been sitting on my hard drive.

Any recommendations?

TomC
berto

Post by berto »

As a break from the Campaign Series, I am returning to play Boonierat's superb Vietnam Combat Operations.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

3 games of TOAW (TR, EA, FITE), and 2 of Guns of August
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
CapitanPiluso

Post by CapitanPiluso »

HPS Market Garden,AGEOD`s Revolution under Siege and always TOAW.
Recently bought Hannibal Carthage and Rome, a different - and nice -approach to an ancient turn based game.
One cornerstone of maritimal warfare:
Keep yourself near the lifeboat.
(Capt.Piluso)
congooo

Post by congooo »

i am playing operationchangping and i am china defending holy cow defending that is hardcore that.hopw it turns out well or better.you can adjust the text size in the ini.file opart.fonts.woow defenending cant believe it .turn 9 i,ve only just started attacking.this is a crucial moment in time .i must make it count.the attack must be well planned out and will take me a week to work out on paper first.
it funny but you have to do it.
however reading in to what i said not really.i hope this helps your efforts going forwarrd and gives you much love and well being.
sgt.rackneed
JMass

Post by JMass »

I am playing pbem Eastern Front 1941-1945 as Axis.
"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern!"Generaloberst Heinz Wilhelm Guderian

My boardgames collection: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection ... dgame&ff=1
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Sorry to be negative, but I'm playing any game but this one until the patch or new version is released [:(]
fran52

Post by fran52 »

I'm playng Bulge HPS (by mail) and Heroes of Stalingrad.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: tcarusil

Playing TOAW mostly. Wouldn't it make a nice Christmas present from Matrix to get TOAW 3.XX out, or at least some encouraging news.

With the sale starting might look for something else. Looking at Forge of Freedom, Command Ops or Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue.

Or, I could take up Combat Command which has been sitting on my hard drive.

Any recommendations?

TomC
Tom!

LTNS mate! Well, I am working on yet another update for Kharkov '43 which should be ready for play-testing by x-mas.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

Sorry to be negative, but I'm playing any game but this one until the patch or new version is released [:(]
With the 3XBb.exe and some updates/adjustments I can highly recommend to play Ardennes '44 by Rob 'The Doc' Kunz. The latest Version was updated especially for 3XBb.exe and it's great!

Klink, Oberst

Attachments
cats.jpg
cats.jpg (138.48 KiB) Viewed 224 times
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
rustinpeace91

Post by rustinpeace91 »

Playing Korea 1950-51 right now.

It didn't turn out very well at all. My basic plan was to take Pyongyang and hold on to dear life for that city, securing a notable victory. What ended up happening was a clusterf*** and a stalemate. Due to Korea's mountiounus terrain, forming a concrete line and sussing out the stragglers was more difficult than I anticipated. My belated Inchon landing (september 17th I think) only created more confusion. I think the North Koreans used the railroads to resupply and reinforce the units that I thought were "cut off" I did push most of the North Koreans out of South Korea, most of the units you see on this map were encircled and destroyed by the time the game was over, but my offensive into North Korea never manifested. I'm definitely going to play this scenario again and try to do a better job.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: rustinpeace91
Playing Korea 1950-51 right now.

It didn't turn out very well at all.... I'm definitely going to play this scenario again and try to do a better job.
Good for you. That's the spirit. Experience comes through practice and it's only the scenario's that challenge
us that cause us to stretch our abilities. I'd like to hear more about what happens next. How about doing an
AAR for us? How about doing an AAR for me? I may see something that might help your gameplay. My advice
really kinda Depends on how much detail you provide though.
Vet to another vet: "When I get home I'm going to make love with the wife and then set the luggage down and close the door."
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

Greetings all,
Great idea for a thread, Larry!

Herr Oberst, thank you for the kind comments re:Ardennes. In fact, I am working on another iteration, which will give 2.Pz Div a better chance of swinging around Bastogne to the north and crossing the Ourthe R. at Ortheuville by the historic date of 21 Dec, then making a run to the west. I hope to post by 16 Dec.

At present, I am play testing my version of 1914, Guns of August. Division scale, 10 km, weekly turns. I had hoped to have it out by, well, August, but I hope to post it in the near future...Stay tuned.

It is good seeing the comments that have been posted in response to Larry's post.

Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.
nilgirip

Post by nilgirip »

The only other games I have spent any serious time with are Civ 4, Close Combat, Il2 Sturmovik and Europa Universalis II - and I mean since I got TOAW in '99. For my money, there's nothing that even comes close. Travelling, school and life in general have given me the (dubious) luxury of breaks from TOAW that are just long enough that I can forget just enough to keep play against the AI interesting. Right now I am playing D21; when the blizzard hits I give the AI +1; +2 during the winter offensive and they are handing my ass right back to me at the gates of Moscow. Ah the drama.... [:)]

Sensei.Tokugawa

Post by Sensei.Tokugawa »

All right - here's the list" AGEOD - AJE,BOR,HTOR,BOA II WiA, ACW II, RUS & SCW. Dropped PON as I was unable to handle it, too burdensome, and have never gotten to start with TEAW - waiting until the game gets mature enough, like the moment the 1st patch gets released. Then DC I: BfWtP and DC II: CB. On top of that HPS / JTS PC / MC (operational) along with SB ( tactical ), but I am actively reducing the number of the latter, focusing on most promising, ambitious and interesting aspects. Been dropping SC: WWI and Breakthrough as it's too stale in the longer run to my taste and I guess that SC: tPT is next to be abandoned. Lastly, TOAW III of course, all in the PBEM mode exclusively and CO:BFtB is still on the list, but since it's real time it's hard to arrange a HTH session, even in the same time zone. You've had enough already? The one who can identify fully all of the titles above, wins a forfeit victory against me.
"-What if one doesn't make it?
-Then we know he was no good for SpetsNaz. ..."
V. Suvorov, "Spetsnaz;the Story behind the Soviet SAS"

...No escape from Passchendaele .../ God Dethroned, "Passiondale"

tcarusil

Post by tcarusil »

Yeah. I've been distracted by this, that and the other. Sure wish there would be some movement on TOAW patch or upgrade. Very frustrating.

How goes your work on Kharkov? With TOAW being in limbo I bet it is hard to get motivated to invest the time.

Trying to find something else to distract me. Maybe Civil War era or some other WWII system, somewhere between pure tactical and operational. I tried Conflict of Heroes, but couldn't quite get the hang of it.

Tried Tiller's Civil War game, but the graphics were so bad it made it hard to figure out what I was doing.

Any way, I hope the upcoming holidays are good for you and your family

TomC

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”