Killing pilots on the ground

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Yaab

Killing pilots on the ground

Post by Yaab »

Can naval bombardment or air bombing of airfields also kill pilots?
If not, are there any historical cases of pilots having been killed this way during the war in Pacific?
m10bob

RE: Killing pilots on the ground

Post by m10bob »

Greg Boyington's book tells of he and fellow POW's seeking cover during bombing raids...

dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

It certainly happened, read accounts on Henderson Field as one example. However I don't know of it happening in the game as that would require a sophistication in the game engine that is not there. Although it would add a bit of realism, I doubt the developers thought the effort would be worth the outcome.
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

thought I caught a smell of this issue in the beta-upgrade thread, wrt bombardment attacks causing pilot casualties at the base.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

I believe they do, when an aircraft is destroyed on the ground, whatever was assign to that aircraft is more likely go along with it. Or its 50/50 chance.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

I had an opponent report that a night bombing strike on a airfield killed some pilots. It could also happen during the day for all I know - I've never looked.
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

ORIGINAL: Yaab

Can naval bombardment or air bombing of airfields also kill pilots?

Yes.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Good to know.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

There were several cases where pilots and air crew were killed on the ground due to enemy action. A few were killed during the BB bombardment of Henderson Field. I believe a few were killed in a banzai charge on Okinawa that broke through to the air base. I don't recall specifics on other cases, but I recall reading about them.

When my father was on Guam there were still Japanese up in the hills and they occasionally came down into camp during the night, but mostly they were looking for food. However, they encouraged everyone to be armed and basically you could go to the supply guys and get anything you wanted. His unit had a top secret clearance and nobody could inspect their luggage, so some guys took advantage of that to get some free guns to take home. One day some of the guys were up in the hills in a jeep and one of the guys in the back was paranoid about getting ambushed so he had his .45 out with the safety off. The jeep hit a bump, the gun went off killing the driver and the jeep plunged over a cliff. I think most of the people in the jeep were killed.

Being in a war zone is a dangerous place, and there are always idiots around who don't take proper precautions and put others at risk. Pilots and air crew throughout the world got killed in accidents and such.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
btd64

Post by btd64 »

In my current nasty scenario 60 game, I have a RAAF squadron with no aircraft losses but 2 KIA pilots. Happened during a air raid on a Aussie airfield....GP

Will post a pic if I remember.
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”